Media and punditry

BOF

I do think if this experiment goes really well this will be beginning of the end for Sky with regards main exclusivity to football.

Their coverage from being cutting edge still ten years ago has felt stale for a while now even with refreshing their punditry roster. Their Super Sunday offerings are usually poor aswell, the big matches were also on at Sunday at 4 and now many weekends you just get one Sunday match for some reason.

No way their business model could survive with just 40 prem games and England imo so could be a tough next decade for them.

16 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I signed up for amazon free 30 day trial. It’s very seamless, can switch between games easily. Think with the advent of Disney plus they could really focus on broadcasting sport as their niche  and take it over from sky. 

Without premier league football sky are nothing, they will start there own streaming service for football I'll put money on it

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I do think if this experiment goes really well this will be beginning of the end for Sky with regards main exclusivity to football.

Their coverage from being cutting edge still ten years ago has felt stale for a while now even with refreshing their punditry roster. Their Super Sunday offerings are usually poor aswell, the big matches were also on at Sunday at 4 and now many weekends you just get one Sunday match for some reason.

No way their business model could survive with just 40 prem games and England imo so could be a tough next decade for them.

Premier League football for me is a example of where monopoly can work best. Before with Sky you'd get the lot, now you have to pay for Sky, BT and Amazon to get 'everything' and this will ultimately cost you more. 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not sure what's more confusing. People follow Trevor Sinclair on twitter or some media outlet have hired him for opinions 😂

He's on Talksport regularly now BBC have ditched him.

I always liked him as a player (mainly for that famous QPR goal) but he clearly still has a drink problem if he's sending out those sorts of tweets.

For all the good Amazon had brought in/back for their coverage, can't say I'm a fan of the score centre nonsense they've got going on - "there's a goal an anfield, but which way has it gone?!?!?! Let's cut across and find out", vidiprinter then prints the new score 3 seconds into the highlight.

Edit, I had the laptop volume ramped up in the first half so couldn't make out the utterly inane witterings of the brains trust they had in the studio.  Second half I was regretting my decision in listening to what those puffed-up-self-important-windbags thought.  I realise I'm not the lads-lads-lads-banter-wheeeey target audience for the stylings of messers Cole, Savage and Sherwood but **** hell, that was atrocious.   They do realise that we are also watching the same pictures that they are right? Simply saying things like "look at this counter!" really doesn't add much to proceedings when I am in fact, also watching that counter.  

Edited by CardiffGreens

Thought the Amazon product was bang average.

Same old crap pundits and commentators, nothing particularly innovative in terms of technology being used.

The picture wasn't great because it's a streaming service and reliant on top performing internet to be perfect.

They'd done very little research on us as illustrated by them claiming we had a good record against the top clubs pre-match.

Garbage, but no doubt here to stay because it's more ££££ for the Premier League.

Remember the good old days when all you needed was a fairly bog standard Sky subscription to watch as much football as you wanted.

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Thought the Amazon product was bang average.

Same old crap pundits and commentators, nothing particularly innovative in terms of technology being used.

The picture wasn't great because it's a streaming service and reliant on top performing internet to be perfect.

They'd done very little research on us as illustrated by them claiming we had a good record against the top clubs pre-match.

Garbage, but no doubt here to stay because it's more ££££ for the Premier League.

Remember the good old days when all you needed was a fairly bog standard Sky subscription to watch as much football as you wanted.

Was making this point yesterday. Monopoly on football is a good thing. Sky used to have all available premier league games, Spanish and German football among others. 

Now everything is fragmented across multiple channels and will cost you a lot more to pay for it all than a Sky subscription. 

It's really just a money grab rather than competition. It would be competition if channels were showing the same matches and thus you'd be choosing to pay for the channel offering the best 'product'. This is all about enriching the Premier League even more. The benefits aren't that clear, clubs get a lot more money, great, but most of these gains will be eroded by price inflation in transfer markets. Presumably even investment in infrastructure will carry inflated prices as well as suppliers know clubs have more money to spend.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

45 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Just because I'm a contrarian sod, I also remember Sky charging people £50 a season (or £8 a game) for "extra" matches on top of the sky sports subscription (on top of the bog standard sky subscription) if you wanted all the televised games - for no apparent reason other than that they could.

Edited by CardiffGreens

34 minutes ago, CardiffGreens said:

Just because I'm a contrarian sod, I also remember Sky charging people £50 a season (or £8 a game) for "extra" matches on top of the sky sports subscription (on top of the bog standard sky subscription) if you wanted all the televised games - for no apparent reason other than that they could.

And we brought it to its knees:

The last ever game shown on PremPlus was Aston Villa v Sheffield United. This marked the end, at least for the time being, of attempts to introduce pay-per-view into the British sports television market, outside of occasional wrestling and boxing matches.

20 minutes ago, CardiffGreens said:

Yeah I also remember premier plus or whatever it was called - perhaps it’s that you are referring to but I think they only did this for one or two years then the I’ll fated Setanta dipped their toes in.

Like others have said, it’s a bunch of bullshit designed to rob more money out of our pockets for essentially the same level of viewing.

It’s how the world works, nothing ever actually gets any better, it just gets more fragmented and more expensive.

Camt believe Prem Plus lasted that long, they rarely ever showed a major game. A few derbies but never a title deciding game for example

They had a City game on one morning at 11am. Probably earliest I have heard of a top flight game

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

Prem plus was dreadful, I remember the studio looked like it was in a storage unit, 1 presenter and a dour George Graham doing the punditry

Yeah but the shiny new Amazon gave us Andy Townsend and a highly nervous Gary Cahill............what progression.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Was making this point yesterday. Monopoly on football is a good thing. Sky used to have all available premier league games, Spanish and German football among others. 

Now everything is fragmented across multiple channels and will cost you a lot more to pay for it all than a Sky subscription. 

It's really just a money grab rather than competition.

Nationalise the Premier League IMO ;)

• Haha 1

I don't know if this is available in the UK but DAZN has every PL game live and on demand (same goes for NFL for whoever's interested). All of the PL programs live as well. $20 a month or $150 a year. I'll need to try Amazon as I don't think DAZN is I'm 4k but apart from that it's worlds better than Sky and the like.

Â