Media and punditry

BOF

Jose Mourinho is a great pundit. More insight than any other pundit I've seen on TV. It's embarrassing watching him next to Graeme Souness. Also, his English is impeccable. He's come a long way since even his return to Chelsea days. All these footballers and managers are making me want to pick up a foreign language. It's inspiring how good they become in a short space of time.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Jose Mourinho is a great pundit. More insight than any other pundit I've seen on TV. It's embarrassing watching him next to Graeme Souness. Also, his English is impeccable. He's come a long way since even his return to Chelsea days. All these footballers and managers are making me want to pick up a foreign language. It's inspiring how good they become in a short space of time.

Him and Wenger doing Champions League final was a masterclass in punditry 

28 minutes ago, choffer said:

He’s not wrong. 

Proper old man yells at cloud stuff there.

Speaking of which, everyone's favorite dinosaur from our imagination is at it again with his Paul Pogba obsession:

“When I played in midfield, I had one thought: ‘I’m going to stop the guy I’m playing against today, then develop my own game from there.’

“In contrast, Pogba’s first thought is to show everybody how clever and cute he can be.

“If that’s the example your main man in midfield is setting, you’re too easy to play against, and until they fix it, United’s back five will be fire-fighting.

“They can spend massively on Maguire, give Victor Lindelof a new five-year deal, De Gea four more lucrative years and sign Wan-Bissaka for £50m and it will all be money down the drain.”

Keep in mind, he didn't play in that West Ham match or at all in the league in September.

Post-match of the United game, and they're literally just talking about Pogba for 15 mins wtf. I haven't watched the game but I suspect, United's problems run much deeper than "Pogba takes too many touches". He's just a scapegoat at this point. He should have just went to Madrid and left this trash team and this country's terrible press (though they probably aren't that much better :lol: )

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Post-match of the United game, and they're literally just talking about Pogba for 15 mins wtf. I haven't watched the game but I suspect, United's problems run much deeper than "Pogba takes too many touches". He's just a scapegoat at this point. He should have just went to Madrid and left this trash team and this country's terrible press (though they probably aren't that much better :lol: )

But he cost £100M and plays/acts as though he’s the best player in the world.

He chooses to have the worlds biggest word removed as his agent, who funnily enough seems to represent every other massive Representative for Wellingborough in football.

When you put yourself on that pedestal you’re going to get shot at if you don’t deliver and Pogba fails to deliver far more often not.

33 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But he cost £100M and plays/acts as though he’s the best player in the world.

He chooses to have the worlds biggest word removed as his agent, who funnily enough seems to represent every other massive Representative for Wellingborough in football.

When you put yourself on that pedestal you’re going to get shot at if you don’t deliver and Pogba fails to deliver far more often not.

part of Pogba's biggest problem is that people have different expectations as to what he is there to deliver

he cost more than de bruyne but de bruyne has more assists, he has less goals than sterling...you might as well throw in he has less headed clearances than mings, stat based analysis of Pogba comparing him to midfielders in general, which is a wide and varied role, is pointless, "too many touches" that's what Pogba is there to do! keep the ball ticking over, take possession, he should be taking more touches! he was on the ball about the same as maguire, tuanzebe and mctominay, utds problem is that the 3 players ahead of Pogba, perriera, Lingard and james, cant get on the ball enough because I would hazard a guess that much like the criticism we see of jack if there is nothing ahead of him then Pogba has the football intelligence to play sideways, or backwards, or slow the ball down waiting for something to happen rather than the kick the ball in to space behind the full back and hope your winger is quicker

• Like 1

I think the fact Pogba was labelled as a mix of VIeira and Keane by some United fans in his youth and even know both offered more. The truth is he is a luxury player and he would have struggled in most top European teams.

Juventus was the perfect team as he had little responsibility with a top defence and midfield around him. Maybe he could do well at Chelsea if Kante was behind him but Real, Barca, City, Liverpool he wouldnt fit any of them teams

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Roy Keane is actually very good.

I find him a bit lazy tbh. Yes he's always good value for the shock quotes but considering the high level he played at let's have some tactical thoughts on why Man. United or Arsenal can't dominate or play in way they used to. Maybe shows why he didn't really progress as a manager.

I always remember after England got knocked out of World cup and Keane was reeling off the "easy run" and "they've bottled it" lines. Fine but please then tell us what England can do to improve, which ball playing deep lying midfielder they should call up to improve midfield, should they stick with 3 at the back or move back to back 4 etc. Instead it's just playing to the gallery which he's now doing with Man. United issues.

For all Mourinho's flaws I agree he's been excellent on the games on Sky which is no surprise with his attention to detail.

• Like 2

completely agree

keane is one of many pundits that can tell you something but then cant back it up or demonstrate it

hes a headline grabber, soundbite "jesse Lingard isn't good enough for utd" why? is it his movement, passing, touch, stats, plays in the wrong position? no its because he's just a poor player in general, the problem is the response to that comment is thousands of people gushing and celebrating roys honesty

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

All Keane does is a character assassination, its "when we were successful we had the likes of Scholes and butt etc, now we have lingaard or £130 grand a week and he's more bothered about his clothing line" 

He's not wrong, but I've never heard him say anything concerning style of play, it's moaning about the players persona off the pitch

It would be good to have a mix of both in a pundit but that's unlikely.

Keane is the sort of person who does not f*** around. Hate him or love him, he gets shit done. He is the definition of the 80s dressing room who played in the 90s/00's.

Back in the day he would not be surprising or even questioned. Many successful people and sport coaches were like that.  

Now everyone (for better or worse) needs a pat on the shoulder and actual mentoring. 

Should you get lost in the jungle and need someone to keep everyone together while not being afraid to eat a dead man's arm, Keane is your man.

If a 20 year old footballer faces a difficult time and needs help, maybe not so much.

Edited by Mic09

Sick of these old bitter dudes hating on the younger players for having a life outside football. Keane and Souness and all these dinosaurs constantly whining about "in my day, I respectfully snapped players' legs on 40k/week". Football punditry is just terrible. It's an old boys' club, full of old boys with zero insight. Apart from Neville, Carra, Liam Rosenior and maybe Tim Sherwood...who's even worth watching on there?

Â