Media and punditry

BOF

How many pundits are ex Liverpool these days?  Hansen, Lawro, Redknapp, Owen, Souness, Jim Beglin, Pinocchio.  Now Carragher. Have I missed anybody? Are the over represented?   It's probably only Owen of that lot who isn't defined as being an ex Liverpool player. 

well I think its just Souness and Owen they hate but its an absolute joke. must be done just so Scousers dont tune out.

For ESPN they have Keegan and Barnes, Didi Hamann be another one and I can imagine Danny Murphy be a pundit soon

The Souness hate is far from universal though, a lot of older fans like him.  He was a disaster as a manager (by their standards at the time at least) but he would probably walk into their all time greatest XI. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that might be true actually.  Still a **** brilliant player for them though.  Like a Roy Keane who carried a bigger goal threat. 

But how much of that is a genuine feeling and how much of it is because they need Suarez at the moment and they don't need Souness?   They suspended their reserve goalkeeper Charles Itandje for two weeks and then sold him for doing this at the 20th Hillsborough memorial:

Now he shouldn't have done it but the song was so cheesy I can kinda understand why it might give somebody the giggles.   I do wonder if Liverpool's attitude would have been different had it been their best player doing that rather than their reserve goalkeeper. 

Wasn't that the same year Carragher was chewing gum and spitting during the minute's silence for HIllsbrough?

Nothing got said about him though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been keeping my eyes on finnish newspapers and none of what I saw mentioned Petrov's retirement due leukemia and him leading the players out after the game but they were all sure to mention Fat-Frank's record breaking goals, Finnish football news coverage is a joke.

• 4 weeks later...

Since this is to do with the media:

Premier League clubs agree to give TV channels more access to players

The 20 Premier League clubs have agreed new rules on media access as part of a range of measures designed to bring fans closer to players and maintain good relations with the broadcasters who pour billions into the game.

Before the start of a new television deal worth around £5.5bn over three years, Premier League clubs have agreed to operate "mixed zones" for rights-holding broadcasters after each match and make at least one player available for two hours every week.

When they arrive at the ground, each Premier League manager and a first-team player will also be required to conduct a brief interview. Sky Sports or BT Sport, or Premier League TV in the case of those matches not shown live on British television, will be allowed to ask three questions of them as they arrive.

There has been a long-standing desire from rights holders, who look longingly at the American model with mandated locker-room access, to increase the amount of access to players they are offered beyond the traditional post-match interview. Each first-team player at each club will have to be made available at least once a season for the two-hour weekly interview slot.

There is also a recognition among some clubs and Premier League executives that more needs to be done to connect players with fans and the broadcasters are hopeful that the new innovations may lead to still greater access.

BT Sport, in particular, is keen to take its cameras into new areas and wants to work with clubs to make dressing-room broadcasts a possibility.

Some clubs are expected to open up their mixed zones, which have been operated successfully by Uefa after Champions League and Europa League matches for some time, to non-rights holders while others will restrict access.

Sir Alex Ferguson's refusal to speak to the BBC for seven years was the most obvious example of the extent to which some clubs rode roughshod over the existing rules, although he eventually resolved his row with the broadcaster after the intervention of the then director general, Mark Thompson.

As part of a related drive to overhaul media facilities, clubs are also being asked to upgrade their press boxes, improve Wi-Fi availability and, in the case of Crystal Palace, provide hot food for reporters for the first time.

The upgraded facilities have caused consternation with some fans, particularly at older grounds where some season ticket holders have had to make way for Sky's new 3D camera positions or for expanded press boxes.

At Thursday's Premier League annual meeting in Darlington, the three newly promoted sides were formally welcomed to the league and the new chairman, Anthony Fry, was introduced to the representatives of the 20 clubs for the first time.

The clubs were also updated on the all but complete £5.5bn media rights sales process, with only deals in Israel, Albania, Cyprus and Malta still outstanding.

So I guess it will be similar to the American NFL model of going into the change-rooms after the match?

I wonder if clubs will increase their investment in player media training.

You'd think that the more time spent between journalists and players, the higher the chances of a player saying something they're not supposed to.

NBC made it fairly clear when they agreed to pay three times what Fox was paying for the US that they were hoping to convince the PL to allow greater access. I'd expect that we'll see a few Premier League 36 documentaries done

Don't really see the point with this, most footballers have the attention span of a bored toddler. Asking someone like Andy carroll do a 20 minute interview would hardly be frost & Nixon. More frost & Barry chuckle

• Like 1

I think TV will struggle to get into the changing room, that is seen as a safe haven by the current generation of people who are in charge.  It will happen one day but it might be a few years yet.  I think the mix zone will be where a lot of new coverage will take place. 

The two hour interview thing is interesting too.  I presume it is a catch all condition which will only ever be used on the more interesting/articulate/popular players but it will be fun to see what TV decides to do with that.   I assume in most cases two hours will be edited down to, oh, about thirty seconds but when skilled interviewers have access to people for that amount of time over the course of the season then I can see some very candid answers to questions because you have to assume that players will be dropping their guard at some point, right?

Oh but its gonna be that and add to the list some terrible english, maybe a narrator or a translator sitting next to the player. I can`t imagine a interview with Tevez being all that, but whatever. I will surely watch if its someone from villa as I will feel compelled to but thats it. Unless it`s well done of course which I seriously doubt.

Â