Media and punditry

BOF

well Townsend didnt know who Diego Lopez was surely that is basic research. Spanish international keeper who has played Champions League for few seasons and won Euro 2008 medal

From pundits I except them to be biased towards their own team when they are winning and cheering (which is only expected since 99% of these guys have a background with the teams playing) - but I also expect them to be overly objective in terms of other teams and decisions. When a former players disses his own club for effect (because of bitterness) or a club he hated (like Robbie Savage towards Villa) he should be kept away from the TV-screens. There is a reason why I prefer to watch the games at home with my friends instead of going down to the pub to watch it from 10 feet away on a 32" blurry LCD with lots of hammered fans supporting the other team. Common scenario that, since we have so few Villa-fans in Norway, and lots of idiots supporting Liverpool.

Haven't seen Roy Keane today obviously, but the man is clearly not a very reflected or objective individual in any case, and basically acts like a petulent child on every occasion.

Edited by Papillon

Is he anti Manchester United, or do his views stand out simply because he is not rabidly pro Manchester United?  ITV's modus operandi has always been to cheer for the English team, especially if they happen to play in red.  When you have had that rammed down your throat for twenty years then I guess you can be forgiven for thinking it's normal. 

• Like 1

I agree 100% Rev. Its not just ITV in fairness its a lot of other stations Sky are as bad. I think they have this bizarre opinion that as  its a European game that Liverpool, Villa, Arsenal etc fans are shouting in pubs for United to win.

The 1st Juventus/celtic game was worst pro-british commentary ive seen. Townsend crying about Juventus marking as if he never seen a Stoke game

• Like 1

I don't think Townsend is a particularly great pundit. I refuse to slate him too much though because he is one of my all time favourite VIlla players. :P 

Is he anti Manchester United, or do his views stand out simply because he is not rabidly pro Manchester United?  ITV's modus operandi has always been to cheer for the English team, especially if they happen to play in red.  When you have had that rammed down your throat for twenty years then I guess you can be forgiven for thinking it's normal. 

Definitely! He was being objective rather than biased. If only more pundits could be like that. 

well Townsend didnt know who Diego Lopez was surely that is basic research. Spanish international keeper who has played Champions League for few seasons and won Euro 2008 medal

I was shouting at my TV when he was saying that shit.

"He looks like a second string goalkeeper doesn't he?"

**** off! He's a top keeper.

I was smiling broadly when he was pulling off those excellent saves in the second half. Shut up Townsend :D

Roy Keane <3

Unafraid to go against the official agenda. Slags off the sacred cow Rooney, wouldn't budge on the red card and states maybe the Premier League isn't all that. They should give him his own chat show.

• Like 1

Going against the grain when you know the grain is wrong and you believe in what you say is admirable. Roy Keane is not that. He has an agenda and a bias. He is bitter. He is controversial for controversy's sake. If you remove the opinions of people with an axe to grind with Man Utd or who just hate the club, then last night pretty much no-one thought that was the correct decision.

Going against the grain when you know the grain is wrong and you believe in what you say is admirable. Roy Keane is not that. He has an agenda and a bias. He is bitter. He is controversial for controversy's sake. If you remove the opinions of people with an axe to grind with Man Utd or who just hate the club, then last night pretty much no-one thought that was the correct decision.

I agree that he has a bee in his bonnet about Manyoo or possibly Ferguson. What I like is he speaks his mind. He has mentioned on several occasions that the Premier League is overrated. You wouldn't get that on Sky. He's also criticised "England #1" Joe Hart amongst others. He's a good, angry pundit.

Thankyou BOF, thought I was alone in thinking this.

I agree that he has a bee in his bonnet about Manyoo or possibly Ferguson. What I like is he speaks his mind. He has mentioned on several occasions that the Premier League is overrated. You wouldn't get that on Sky. He's also criticised "England #1" Joe Hart amongst others. He's a good, angry pundit.

What I was getting at is that I don't actually think he does speak his mind. In my view he says what he knows will antagonise, irrespective of whether he truly believes it or not. There's a critical difference there. To use VT forum-speak, I think he talks for effect. Does it solely to get a reaction without believing his own words. I don't mind someone being disagreeable if they genuinely believe what they're saying. In fact I would encourage people to say what they believe rather than to follow a crowd or say what they think will go down well. But he's just an angry prick. Don't let the fact that his approach is different from your average pundit make you think he is therefore automatically better than them. I'm just glad he's on a channel that's off my beaten track.

The Premier League is going through a tough patch. All leagues do at some point. Spain has overtaken it. But he can't badmouth United off the back of a terrible decision that decided the result. United were on course to knock the current in-form side from the best league in the world out of the competition.

Â