Media and punditry

BOF

34 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

I stopped watching MOTD years ago, couldn't stand the pundits and bias in general. 

I only started watching again recently, not great is it?

Better off watching the four minute highlights that pop up on FB or LiveScore

19 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Oh wow, he's finished. Thank ****.

Finished? He's barely started!

This guy has launched the most blatant bid for a starring role in the right-wing culture war that I've ever seen, he'll have his own show on GBeebies in no time and you'll be hearing about how he represents the true voice of the authentic football fan for the next several decades. 

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Finished? He's barely started!

This guy has launched the most blatant bid for a starring role in the right-wing culture war that I've ever seen, he'll have his own show on GBeebies in no time and you'll be hearing about how he represents the true voice of the authentic football fan for the next several decades. 

I see him taking over the cheeky Scouse comedian on the circuit role, a bit like Stan Boardman except saying that black people and women bombed their chip shops during the war

9 hours ago, MachoFantastico said:

I stopped watching MOTD years ago, couldn't stand the pundits and bias in general. 

Last time I watched MOTD, Des Lynam was presenting it! :D 

13 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Lineker started the piece saying something like 'I really don't like VAR and I feel guilty for having advocated for it.' But VAR didn't change anything, only upheld the ref's decisions (which were correct). So the conversation was already slanted towards 'VAR has screwed Arsenal again' even before Wrighty went into his diatribe. 

I thought the whole discussion was a microcosm for how we’ve ended up in the mess we are now with officiating.

The media relentlessly focusses on refereeing decisions in their punditry- they literally cannot resist talking about them even when there’s far more exciting things going on in the game. And, as shown by linekar above, a lot of the time the pundits themselves don’t even know what’s actually going on. And so we end up with an endless cycle of refereeing needing to “improve” even to the extent of pilots coming into advise VAR officials (which sounds like a huge waste of their time) and it’s all driven by pundits who have barely a braincell between them 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

I thought the whole discussion was a microcosm for how we’ve ended up in the mess we are now with officiating.

The media relentlessly focusses on refereeing decisions in their punditry- they literally cannot resist talking about them even when there’s far more exciting things going on in the game. And, as shown by linekar above, a lot of the time the pundits themselves don’t even know what’s actually going on. And so we end up with an endless cycle of refereeing needing to “improve” even to the extent of pilots coming into advise VAR officials (which sounds like a huge waste of their time) and it’s all driven by pundits who have barely a braincell between them 

It's all vital engagement in the outrage economy. Why be measured and objective when the alternative gets more viewers? 

At the end of the day if these ex players / pundits were any good with their knowledge and views they wouldn't be working in the mainstream media, most of their views are so biased or laughable these days. You'll find better unbiased analysis on some youtube channels these days!

Edited by lainux

McGinn is the only Villa player in Garth Crooked team of the year. And ends up with saying that talk of Villa winning the league is fantasy. And that there is more chance of Prince William taking charge of Villa's remaining fixtures than them winning the Premier League.

Would he put it so comically/disrespectfully if discussing Newcastle or Spurrrz? 

• Like 2

Actually heard some reality on Talkshite today which no one in the media has talked about. Not sure who the pundit was, but he was saying Arteta found it too hard to priase Villa and just continued to say how Arsenal were the better team and should have won the game. Then continued to do his usual "well what did you think of the decisons", talking about the handball and non foul on Jesus.

The pundit continued to say "does Arteta realise Villa had not lost at VP for 14 games, if he expected to come to there ground and turn them over easily, he needs to wake up a little and get real.

For me Arteta is a poor poor loser, an I hope they get no where near wining the league.  I'm begining to hate him and his arrogance with a passion.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JPJCB said:

Superb summary of what’s going on. Thanks for writing it so well. There’s an essay for someone to write in this whole fiasco.

Reminds me of this:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

McGinn is the only Villa player in Garth Crooked team of the year. And ends up with saying that talk of Villa winning the league is fantasy. And that there is more chance of Prince William taking charge of Villa's remaining fixtures than them winning the Premier League.

Would he put it so comically/disrespectfully if discussing Newcastle or Spurrrz? 

Of the 134 words Crooks wrote, only 32 were about McGinn and he made no mention of him scoring.

And yes I counted because I'm petty and bitter. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Of the 134 words Crooks wrote, only 32 were about McGinn and he made no mention of him scoring.

And yes I counted because I'm petty and bitter. 

He's a shit pundit, and everyone knows it.

Stop clicking on his articles and the BBC stop paying him. 

We are the fourth best team in the league this calendar year (and would be second best if we win our "game in hand"). But only one of our players warrants a place in the team of the year. That's just Garth Crooks for you.

Edited by MrBlack

Â