Media and punditry

BOF

1 minute ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Peter Drury is insufferable. Sky and BT need to allow us to be able to watch games without commentary. Amazon does - it's bliss. 

I always use that when it's available. There's not a single commentator I'd rather listen to than uninterrupted crowd noise

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Why is she the one you're singling out then :D

Your probably not even watching, just waving the banner.

Even though i dont like the new format much, it still works better with a male presenter. Needs someone a bit more interactive, Gabby Logan could do it,  there, take that shot at your narrative. 

6 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Fair enough, I don't know your post history, and I doubt everyone else does, which may explain the reaction.

Not a dig at you now, but I find many people don't often quantify their opinions, leading people to assume there may be a negative connotation. That may be at play too.

People just like to back up a good narrative too.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

. Needs someone a bit more interactive, Gabby Logan could do it,  there, take that shot at your narrative. 

Cool.

I don't have a narrative and couldn't give a **** if you criticise a woman presenter.

The thing that raises eyebrows isn't you criticising a woman, it's leading with "woman presenter" like that's the problem.

There's a big difference between "X is presenting, she's pretty dull, no banter" and "it's boring, they've got a woman doing it"

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Cool.

I don't have a narrative and couldn't give a **** if you criticise a woman presenter.

The thing that raises eyebrows isn't you criticising a woman, it's leading with "woman presenter" like that's the problem.

There's a big difference between "X is presenting, she's pretty dull, no banter" and "it's boring, they've got a woman doing it"

I said women cause its a women.

You may not want to define the difference always waving the banner, an may not want to admit the difference with sitting down the pub chatting with a bunch of women. But to me there is obviously a big difference.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Your probably not even watching, just waving the banner.

Even though i dont like the new format much, it still works better with a male presenter. Needs someone a bit more interactive, Gabby Logan could do it,  there, take that shot at your narrative. 

I don't think anyone would. Gabby Logan is an incredibly experienced presenter with a good knowledge of sport.

The issue most people have is that the presenters of most sports shows now are more interested in entertaining than being informative, regardless of sex, race, religion, or orientation.

13 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Peter Drury is insufferable.

Disagree.

13 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Sky and BT need to allow us to be able to watch games without commentary. Amazon does - it's bliss. 

10000% agree. I think over half the audience would use it.

Broadcasters want coverage painted with "their" commentary though.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I said women cause its a women.

You may not want to define the difference always waving the banner, a may not want to admit the difference with sitting down the pub chatting with a bunch of women. But to me there is obviously a big difference.

But you said Gabby Logan could do the job? So you don’t have a problem with a woman doing it, but this particular woman. I don’t know what you’re on about with your talking to a group of women down the pub analogy. Do you think Gabby Logan would be suitable or not?

If you dislike this particular presenter, that’s ok. If you dislike her presenting because she’s a woman, that’s not ok.

You’re contradicting yourself with saying Gabby Logan could do the job but then saying “oh it’s different talking with women…”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KillieVillain said:

Drury twice now saying it’s a chance for Arsenal & Spurs to take advantage of result but no mention of Villa!  What a clown he is ,  not taking us seriously after what Emery has achieved is just pure ignorance !

Surprised he didn't mention Chelsea and Man Utd too. 🙄

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

SSN poor today, female presnter, everything subdued, no banter, questions asked questions answered. Nothing wrong with the presenter, just how Sky thought it would work with 4 men and Sue Smith is beyond me.

That Caroline Barker was far far better than the normal one. More natural. And seems to have a sense of humour. Sue Smith and her over agresssive arm movements.  Now thats someone who isnt up to scratch. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, calcifer said:

It's happening everywhere, banter in the workplace as a whole is taboo now as you may offend someone... so Sky are probably just following the lead of most companies now. 

This is just absolutely not true. Or you work in a totally joyless work environment. 

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is just absolutely not true. Or you work in a totally joyless work environment. 

Well must just be our workplace then as we are not allowed to say thing that might cause offence, so no bald shaming, body shaming etc, even if its just banter between work friends! 

Someone got took to HR as they overhead them joking about the sun shining off their head and needing his sunglasses, it was things we always use to say. But it only took 1 complaint and that's it. Just a joyless boring work environment now. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Well must just be our workplace then as we are not allowed to say thing that might cause offence, so no bald shaming, body shaming etc, even if its just banter between work friends! 

Someone got took to HR as they overhead them joking about the sun shining off their head and needing his sunglasses, it was things we always use to say. But it only took 1 complaint and that's it. Just a joyless boring work environment now. 

Yep I worked in an office like that they were trying to make everyone into robots.  HR were the pits just ticking boxes.

As for the topic I liked that lady yesterday on Soccer Saturday and there are a few commentators on the championship gamea that are decent can't remember names mind you.

14 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

That Caroline Barker was far far better than the normal one. More natural. And seems to have a sense of humour. Sue Smith and her over agresssive arm movements.  Now thats someone who isnt up to scratch. 

Caroline Barker is a very good presenter - fronts plenty of other stuff on Sky.

I didn't see Soccer Special yesterday afternoon but if she kept it to 10 mistakes or less she will have done much better than Simon Thomas who has been surprisingly poor - every week he makes loads of errors, getting teams wrong, pundit/player names wrong (e.g. referred to Mike Dean as Mike Reilly) and there are often long silences where he's waiting to be told where to go next. I'm surprised they didn't give the Saturday afternoon gig to Julian Warren who does the midweek stuff and is very good at that.

Pundit wise i actually don't mind Sue Smith - she's far more erudite than most of the others they have on there.

I'm pretty sure they only keep Merson on there because he may go off the rails without having that job (and fair enough - i know Hendrie has said the work he does for sky has basically saved him) - the 'haha he's mangling foreign players names' became tired a long time ago.

Clinton Morrison has the best agent out there, because the amount of work he gets is inversely proportional to his talent.

BBC match thread headline. 

Spurs 1-2 Aston Villa : Son has third goal disallowed.

Bunch of nobs. They weren't disallowed. Offside means it shouldn't have even got as far as the net anyway. This is why we think there's a bias. 

• Like 1

Â