Ashley Westwood

Nabby

68% of his 88% completed passes (178) this season were forward passes, average pass distance of 20m, 11 of them were 'chance creating'.

Compare this to Gana, with 59% of his 85% completed passes (184) being forwards, average pass distance of 16m and only 6 created chances.

May as well mention Sanchez who passes forward more often being the closest to the defence, 90% of his 115 passes were forward with 86% accuracy but only one chance created for the same reason.

Stats courtesy of Squawka.

So accusations of Westwood doing lots of sideways passing and creating nothing are wrong. Would you put the same mediocrity label on Gana?

Wouldn't waste your time mate.

The accusation that all he does is pass sideways has been debunked time and time again but people still spout it off.

• Like 4

One of the biggest myths is that he only passes sideways. It's almost as if people don't realize that there is objective evidence that can prove otherwise (and has been on countless occasions). Typical lazy criticism of a player who's done nothing to deserve it. Scapegoating at its finest.

• Like 1

He certainly doesn't just pass sideways. He's been very good for us so far this season but I feel, based on what he did in France, that Veretout would offer more goals and assists in the same position.

I think as Veretout becomes settled it should be Sanchez or Westwood starting as the DM, maybe depending on who we are playing.

He certainly doesn't just pass sideways. He's been very good for us so far this season but I feel, based on what he did in France, that Veretout would offer more goals and assists in the same position.

I think as Veretout becomes settled it should be Sanchez or Westwood starting as the DM, maybe depending on who we are playing.

And that's a fair opinion. I'd agree with it.

What isn't fair is people continuing to make stuff up to criticise him even when it's proved wrong using objective means.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I also agree that Veretout could be the future of that position.

The bad news for Westwood haters is that, judging by Tuesday's game, Veretout plays the position in a very similar way to Westwood.

Chances are those that don't appreciate Westwood won't appreciate Veretout

The bad news for Westwood haters is that, judging by Tuesday's game, Veretout plays the position in a very similar way to Westwood.

No bother, they can still spend their days congratulating each other on their brilliant barbs.

Not so sure that will be true.

Looking at stats from last season, Veretout scored 7 goals to westwoods 0, got 6 assists to Westwoods 1 and averages more dribbles and more shots per game than Westwood. 

I think Veretout has the potential to be a much more productive attacking player in that more advanced midfield role.  On Tuesday he played differently because he was the holding midfield player in a very attack minded team, I think he will be much different playing where Westwood played yesterday.

• Like 1