Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Best player on the pitch. One solitary mistake where he rolled it short for someone.

Not just composed on the ball, but also impossible to panic. Instead of giving it away to someone quickly, he'll put his foot on it, turn around and look for a better ball, constantly probing. Some of his passes cut straight through their defence causing them lots of problems. If we weren't so wasteful with Gabby's lack of talent, Weimann's lack of composure and Benteke's lack of pace, we would have had quite a few goals from them. I'll leave the Bent debate for somewhere else though.

Finally. not only was he superb with the passing and composed on the ball, he was also tactically excellent. As soon as the ball was lost from another Bannan or Baker long ball to Benteke's head, he was scurrying back into position, giving everyone else instructions on where to go and who to pick up. He was the main reason we kept Reading out, and also the main reason we scored. As about a complete a player as I've seen for a while.

The button "like" does not do justice to this post. I dont just like it, I absolutely adore it

Best player on the pitch. One solitary mistake where he rolled it short for someone.

Not just composed on the ball, but also impossible to panic. Instead of giving it away to someone quickly, he'll put his foot on it, turn around and look for a better ball, constantly probing. Some of his passes cut straight through their defence causing them lots of problems. If we weren't so wasteful with Gabby's lack of talent, Weimann's lack of composure and Benteke's lack of pace, we would have had quite a few goals from them. I'll leave the Bent debate for somewhere else though.

Finally. not only was he superb with the passing and composed on the ball, he was also tactically excellent. As soon as the ball was lost from another Bannan or Baker long ball to Benteke's head, he was scurrying back into position, giving everyone else instructions on where to go and who to pick up. He was the main reason we kept Reading out, and also the main reason we scored. As about a complete a player as I've seen for a while.

Could you care to give us some examples of these passes that cut straight through the defence? I don't remember any

I think Westwood will be a bit of a marmite player, similar to Carrick. Some fans seem to really appreciate having a player in the squad who will always do the simple things, be in space, willing to receive the ball, and move it on quickly whilst waiting for the right opportunity to go forward. Whereas some fans just want a player to be more direct and kinda run at players. Personally I love players like Westwood, just keep the ball moving patiently til the right opportunity occurs, if we have the ball they can't score and he's a player who's essential to that philosophy. I don't care if he passes it sideways, backwards or forwards, as long as we have the ball.

I think Westwood will be a bit of a marmite player, similar to Carrick. Some fans seem to really appreciate having a player in the squad who will always do the simple things, be in space, willing to receive the ball, and move it on quickly whilst waiting for the right opportunity to go forward. Whereas some fans just want a players to be more direct and kinda run at players. Personally I love players like Westwood, just keep the ball moving patiently til the right opportunity occurs, if we have the ball they can't score and he's a player who's essential to that philosophy. I don't care if he passes it sideways, backwards or forwards, as long as we have the ball.

FWIW, I hate players like Carrick. :)

Think its too early to say whether he will be like that tho.

Could you care to give us some examples of these passes that cut straight through the defence? I don't remember any

There were absolutely loads. Where Bannan and Holman were hurrying passes out wide or back to the defence, Westwood would time and again put his foot on the ball, turn and look for someone else making space with a run. We had about 4 or 5 in the first half where any of our front 3 suddenly found they had the ball with space between the 2 CB's only to fluff it up.