Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Think he was prob our 4th best performer after amavi richards and Gueye. Couple of occasions I thought wow great control, great ball. One out to the right in the second half was sublime.

Then there were a few times where I thought FFS westwood. One was going forward and then another was trying to play a lazy pass and it ricocheted and led them into attack.

Far from poor, but he pretty much some up our whole team performance. Tidy, but never going to do anything worthwhile in a zillion years playing like that.

• Like 2

So if we're going to be fair to him, he's a poor mans Carrick in terms of the 'type' of player he is. Carrick is more incisive and plays less 'simple' passes than Westwood, but both have a metronomic ability to move the ball on to an attacker. I rate Carrick very highly, which probably explains my appreciation of Westwood.

To truly improve I want Westwood to look for the early ball from the back into the feet of attackers or advanced midfielder a more often.

Again, not the killer pass, but the pass that puts a player in the position to make a killer pass.

Obviously he needs to score more goals. He's got a good shot on him and his first touch is sublime. If the 'football' improves I see no reason why Westwood won't score more goals.

He's 25, so coming into his prime and works hard. I think he will get better and better.

• Like 1

Sherwood absolutely loves him. Thinks he is worthy of an England call up judging from his latest comments on the OS.

Can't say I agree yet, but I think he is getting there. Thought he was quality last Friday gone and want to see that level of performance consistently. He has certainly improved over the last 18 months regardless. 

Hardly looks like he is likely to lose his place any time soon.

Tim Sherwood is confident that Ashley Westwood will play for England this season. 

Sherwood waxed lyrical about his midfield ace, who has just signed a new five year deal with the club.

Westwood has been a vital cog in the central wheel under Sherwood.

He has started this term strongly in the company of Idrissa Gueye and Jordan Vererout. 

Sherwood sees great quality in Westwood's game and believes he has the ability to don the Three Lions shirt. 

He told AVTV: "I will be very surprised if Ashley doesn't play for England this season. He's as good as that. 

"He's probably the single-most consistent player I have had at the club since I arrived. 

"He's very much in the Michael Carrick-mould. 

"Michael is not getting any younger. I am not sure they have found a replacement for him yet. 

"I think Ashley has got every chance. If he keeps on with his consistency - and the level of his performances - I am sure it won't be too far around the corner. 

"That would be great news for all of us. And he's earned the right."

• Like 1

Found Westwood's comments on the OS very interesting too. They were talking about Wilkins et al and he said "it's all good, we have a good coaching staff now..." Accidentally emphasising the word "now".

Shouldn't come as much of a surprise I know but thought I'd share.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Interesting comments from Tim about Westwood.

I always thought Westwood would be the odd man out if we start playing 2 central midfielders (I had them as Gana and Veretout) and a no.10 in the form of Gil or Grealish.

However, maybe Tim recognises that for this year at least, we need Westwood in the team as Veretout may take some time to adjust to the pace of the league, and Gana is very new to the league as well.

Conversely, maybe we will persevere with 3 central midfielders (against stronger opposition at least) and Westwood will play every week, but then I don't see how we will score enough goals.

He's a player that I've wanted to do well from the moment he signed and his level of performance has been consistently above average and in my opinion gradually improving throughout his time here. Friday night against Man U I thought he was very good indeed - that volleyed pass out to the right wing was sublime, not that it was his only moment by any stretch.

Unfortunately I think he might find his England chances hampered by those already in the squad, there's never a great deal of rotation with the national team once a player is established.

Think was probably a dig at Culverhouse and Karsa rather than Lambert

Not sure you can really separate them out like that, given that C & K were Lambert's personally picked right-hand men. He may also have had Mr Keane in mind. And maybe that fact that PL was apparently trying to do everything after all his team left or were sacked and not replaced.

Lambert brought Westwood from relative obscurity to the premiership, so Westwood should still be a bit grateful even if he didn't think Lambert was the best manager out there. I think the comments were likely towards Keane. 

Lambert brought Westwood from relative obscurity to the premiership, so Westwood should still be a bit grateful even if he didn't think Lambert was the best manager out there. I think the comments were likely towards Keane. 

Yep, and in any case the backroom staff recruitment (or lack of) was one of Lambert's main and most obvious failings.

What I find interesting about TS comments is where he mentions carrick and how we haven't found a replacement for him yet. Are we really looking to replace a guy that has played about 30 times in 15 years?

I won't be that surprised if he gets called up however I'd be absolutely stunned if he had any sort of an impact on the team.