Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He's a continuity player like Michael Carrick, who strangely went under the radar while being a first team player in one of the best teams in recent memory. I don't think Westwood is irreplaceable though, as unlike Carrick (or Barry) he doesn't do enough with the ball when he has it, but we aren't Manure, nor are we challenging for Europe, so he'll do.

Agreed.

For the money we paid for him, dont know of many if any players that are as good as him at this level, there are plenty of better players than him out there but they also cost a lot of money so he is a potentially great player if not just a good squad player in years to come. 

Westwood really does just sit in front in the back 4. Hes DLP and is used to recycle possession. Very rarely will you see westwood in the final 3rd or opposition box. Sometimes you see him having shot outside area but that is still "sitting in front of the back 4" because the opposition is so deep sometimes.

"Even if Westwood just turns around and plays it back, Schneiderlin has done his job because he's forced Ash's hand. " So what exactly depay can/will do without sacrificing two optimal positions to make them sub-optimal? You do not rough up a DLP or do you need an elite tackler to do so because they just pass it back to defenders. (so depay can do exactly what Schneiderlin can do with the role of westwood).    But i said all this in previous post

yes there may be a couple of times where he may get a bit forward, still not enough to start playing players sub-optimally. Also swapping him for sanchez will just mean sanchez will 100% going to sit infront of the back 4 where Schneiderlin wont be that much (unless its in attack). so it still makes no sense for that swap for the reasons youre saying

He might be in Football Manager terms but not in real life - he operates all over the midfield, all you need to do is look at some of his passing maps - such as here: http://Premier League.squawka.com/bournemouth-vs-aston-villa/08-08-2015/english-barclays-premier-league/matches     

As much as i love stats/evidence to make points, i have a few problems with what you linked:

1. That map has literally no context what so ever. Wheres oppisition defence, how deep are they. Many of the passes can be in their half whilst still being the deepest midfielder on average for us. Totally depends how deep/high their team is
2. For somebody who is all over the midfield he has very little passes in the final third.
3. Sample size. just quickly looked at southampton /burnley games from last season and 99% of the passes are not in the final third, theyre all nearly in the position of the DLP
4. Hes more than likely going to have more freedom against a side like bournemouth than he is against united.

DLP are going to have passes all over the midfield which isnt the final third as they literally go from left-center-right as the deepest midfielder switching and starting attacks.
Ill be amazed if majority of people here think hes any type of midfielder other than DLP

edit: that graph confuses me, i cant tell which side villa start on, does it switch at half time?.

final edit: "hes all over the place so he isnt a DLP" line of thinking. Compare that graph to pirlo graph (who everybody knows always plays a DLP). By your logic, pirlo isnt  a DLP who sits infront of back 4 either as passing is all over the pitch.

d112a0bd4489779c388a3a1804b04473.png

Edited by gharperr

I still like the guy but I don't know. Should a player who has played the vast majority of games in the past 3 seasons be given his third contract in which the said seasons have resulted in 15th, 15th, and 17th?

By that logic we should never have tried to keep Benteke or Delph. Sometimes good players play in shit teams and vice versa.

He will be at the very least a serviceable member of the squad for as long as we keep him. Even if we broke into the mythical top 8.

• Like 1

Just the best at what he does. First name on the team sheet for me.

That's just it. What does he actually do?
Again? Seriously?

Edit - I'm not his biggest fan, I think he's good at what he does but very little else. But come on! The manager outlines what his role is, it's fine if you think he's not very good at it but do we need to go around in circles like this?

That's a bit harsh. I try to read the debate around Westwood but it just gets bombarded with people arguing and point scoring based on whether they rate him or not. So I tend to skip through a lot of it.

I've said many times I like him and I agree it made sense to give him a new contract. But I'm willing to place a bet with anyone that he will no longer be at the club in 2 seasons time.

How much are you going to be paying me?

Again? Seriously?

Edit - I'm not his biggest fan, I think he's good at what he does but very little else. But come on! The manager outlines what his role is, it's fine if you think he's not very good at it but do we need to go around in circles like this?

That's a bit harsh. I try to read the debate around Westwood but it just gets bombarded with people arguing and point scoring based on whether they rate him or not. So I tend to skip through a lot of it.

I've said many times I like him and I agree it made sense to give him a new contract. But I'm willing to place a bet with anyone that he will no longer be at the club in 2 seasons time.

Loser gives £10 to VT?

Again? Seriously?

Loser gives £10 to VT?

you might as well do it now.

• Like 1

I still like the guy but I don't know. Should a player who has played the vast majority of games in the past 3 seasons be given his third contract in which the said seasons have resulted in 15th, 15th, and 17th?

Would you have kept Benteke? The Snake? Any of the players who have been here would be gone if that was rule. I actually think this year will suit him more as we will have movement ahead of the ball unlike under PL.

He is a decent player but really needs to kick on this season, part of the problem may be that he is a vision type player, and our front players have been so static that options for attacking play have been limited at best, as evidenced by the lack of goals, confidence plays a huge part and I think the squad overhaul and how he copes with his role within the squad we have now will see him either rise to the challenge or prove many on here right that he is not good enough, hoping for the former!

By that logic we should never have tried to keep Benteke or Delph. Sometimes good players play in shit teams and vice versa.

I absolutely hate the logic TFF has used.

Not picking on TFF, but it really annoys me when people say "well we were a crap team so he can't have been much good"

Doesn't work like that.

• Like 1

I absolutely hate the logic TFF has used.

Not picking on TFF, but it really annoys me when people say "well we were a crap team so he can't have been much good"

Doesn't work like that.

That is true but people also say he was a good player in a crap team so will now shine around better players.

Doesn't work like that either.

He is a decent player but really needs to kick on this season, part of the problem may be that he is a vision type player, and our front players have been so static that options for attacking play have been limited at best, as evidenced by the lack of goals, confidence plays a huge part and I think the squad overhaul and how he copes with his role within the squad we have now will see him either rise to the challenge or prove many on here right that he is not good enough, hoping for the former!

I think it's more to do with his execution. He sees a pass but more often than not doesn't get it right. If his passing can match his vision and awareness I will admit he could be a top player.

• Like 1

I think it's more to do with his execution. He sees a pass but more often than not doesn't get it right. If his passing can match his vision and awareness I will admit he could be a top player.
Such BS

Such BS
Why do Westwood fans get so defensive? I actually gave him two complements there. Having such a football brain is rare in the game.

Why does my opinion have to be BS?

Why am I not allowed to not rate him as high as others do?

As for being one our best passers. Is that because he is so good or the rest are so bad?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa