Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Exact;y what I've been saying.

Westwood isn't amazing, but i do think he's a good player. But our problem, irrelevant of what you think of Westwood, is that he and Cleverley are doign the same job. And  when the other midfielder is Sanchez we're left with nobody attacking.

We desperately need a more attacking midfielder to play alongside these guys, because I fully admit if Westwood is being relied upon to be the creative force in the side, he's not good enough at that  for us to be anything other than crap.

I'd actually quite like to see Westwood as an AM-type :D

I think he's technically our best player and also "busy" enough to make an impact in that position.  I guess his main problem would be that he doesn't strike me as a player who would ever take a defender on, so maybe it would be easy to cover?  I don't know.  He'd do more than N'Zogbia, though.

We'll get relegated with a midfield of Delph, Cleverley and Westwood.

I'm struggling to see anything positive that any of our midfield did last night.Now i can excuse Sanchez, firstly because i think he is coming up to the pace of the game, and secondly because i think he is a good defensive midfielder, so his game is to win the ball and pass it on.Now , for me, neither Cleverley  or Westwood done one good positive thing last night.

Westwoods attempt to play Weimann through late in the 2nd half, for me highlighted both Villas and Westwoods deficiencies, not able to complete the pass because of poor quality.Going forward we are incredibly poor.Westwood wasn't the worst last night, in fact he was probably the best of the midfield, but if hes our best, then that is our problem.

An ok player in a poor team.

We'll get relegated with a midfield of Delph, Cleverley and Westwood.

I'm struggling to see anything positive that any of our midfield did last night.Now i can excuse Sanchez, firstly because i think he is coming up to the pace of the game, and secondly because i think he is a good defensive midfielder, so his game is to win the ball and pass it on.Now , for me, neither Cleverley or Westwood done one good positive thing last night.

Westwoods attempt to play Weimann through late in the 2nd half, for me highlighted both Villas and Westwoods deficiencies, not able to complete the pass because of poor quality.Going forward we are incredibly poor.Westwood wasn't the worst last night, in fact he was probably the best of the midfield, but if hes our best, then that is our problem.

An ok player in a poor team.

Mmm if Sanchez wasn't Columbian with a cool ass afro would you still be so excusing of Sanchez?? He is woeful fella come on. Every game I have seen of him he gives the ball away every time. A major liability and in the situation we are in right now we can't afford to wait for him to settle like we could for a Petrov or Angel.

Now poor old Westwood with his boring English name who is consistently our best midfielder with the most assists, you can't excuse.

Just dont get where you are coming from.

Well you could argue that since he has played we have not lost 2 out of 3 games, which for us is good.

My post said that i don't think he is up to speed, he plays too far up the pitch, and he gets caught out of position.However, he is strong, competitive, aggressive and quick.He is good in the tackle, competes in the air, and defends the edge of the box better than any other midfielder we have.As the Makelele role he is ideal.

Now, for me, leave Sanchez deep, and let Cleverley. and Westwood to do what they are supposed to be good at, being positive, but to be fair, they both look incapable of providing anything from midfield.No goals, no assists, therein lies the problem.

Well you could argue that since he has played we have not lost 2 out of 3 games, which for us is good.

My post said that i don't think he is up to speed, he plays too far up the pitch, and he gets caught out of position.However, he is strong, competitive, aggressive and quick.He is good in the tackle, competes in the air, and defends the edge of the box better than any other midfielder we have.As the Makelele role he is ideal.

Now, for me, leave Sanchez deep, and let Cleverley. and Westwood to do what they are supposed to be good at, being positive, but to be fair, they both look incapable of providing anything from midfield.No goals, no assists, therein lies the problem.

You could also argue he cost us the Tottenham game, cost us the QPR game, the Arsenal game was THE worst home debuts I have ever seen, he nearly cost us the Hull game when he stupidly gave away a needless free kick which lead to their goal

Sylla was strong and competitive but he was hardly any good. Westwood can tackle as well but at least can pass a ball and has the potential to create an assist whilst causing the minimal liability.

Edited by donnie

I really like Westwood, a really good buy.

He is like Wilkins, Barnes in his later years, Carrick.....the criticisms of him, like of so many of our players, are in my view largely brought about because the whole team is subject to excessive pressure game after game due to the way we play.  In such a system, and playing without the ball and in your own half for so much, the chance of poor play is dramatically increased.

• Like 1

Never looked like doing what he was on the pitch for, scoring or creating.Him or Cleverley are just too average.

You literally have no clue what you are talking about.  He played some excellent pinpoint passes yesterday, did you watch the game? 

• Like 1