Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Why are you obsessed with this ticking malarky?

All I said was he did well tonight. I thought out of Sanchez, Cleverley and himself he performed the best.

He worked well defensively and was the only midfielder who played anything resembling a through ball to the strikers. He kept the ball as well as anybody (I haven't checked the stats but I'd guess apart from Cleverley he's probably our highest pass success tonight) and was more comfortable in possession than most of the team, something we're crying out for.

I haven't said he was amazing or excellent or brilliant. I just expressed my opinion on a player. That opinion is he did well.

I said the same thing in several other threads about other players. Is that OK? Or am I not allowed to compliment them either?

You can compliment whoever you want! Am I not allowed to disagree? After all that's all I'm doing.

With regards the 'ticking' marlarky. I'm not obsessed. However, I do find it quite strange that people (not necessarily you) use the phrase quite regular to support westwood's existence in the team. Yet when that is challenged (baring in mind were a team that doesn't tick), it falls on deaf ears.

I just think it's a bit of a cop out phrase that nobody really knows the meaning of and is almost used as a way of excusing the fact that all he does, is keep the ball better than the players around him. Which again, is not something to be shouting about IMO.

Westwood receives a lot of praise, but tbh, right now I don't feel any of them are really worthy of consistent praise. I'd like to actually see players taking responsibility and grabbing the bull by the horns and making something happen.

Whether that be Westwood, or whoever I'm not bothered but it would take something like that for me to believe that a player is worthy of the accolades that Westwood receives on here by some.

Like with quite a few things re aston villa, we seem to be settling for utter drivel.

You're allowed to disagree.

I just find it amusing that I actually haven't commented on a Westwood performance for weeks, and ironically when I did I actually barely mentioned him and was actually posting in here to make a more general point about the midfield as a whole.

Yet 3 minutes after I posted you produced an essay to tell me how wrong I was.

You're allowed to, I just find it strange that you seem to have such a fierce dislike of anybody complimenting this guy.

As for the ticking, you seem to be the person posting it over and over again. I imagine if you stopped, you wouldn't hear the phrase nearly as much.

Edited by Stevo985

OK, the post after was the one I was thinking of when I said essay. I was exagerrating. That was really beside the point though.

Well it wasn't, as you wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.

Madness if you see my posts as a fierce dislike towards you and others.

You made a point at a time, where I happened to be online. I disagreed.

It happens to be a point we disagree on a lot, and today was another chapter in that debate, given that Westwood was involved in another game.

That is it. My posts might contain a little passion/frustration from all things villa right now, but there is certainly not dislike towards anyone.

OK, the post after was the one I was thinking of when I said essay. I was exagerrating. That was really beside the point though.

Well it wasn't, as you wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.

Madness if you see my posts as a fierce dislike towards you and others.

You made a point at a time, where I happened to be online. I disagreed.

It happens to be a point we disagree on a lot, and today was another chapter in that debate, given that Westwood was involved in another game.

That is it. My posts might contain a little passion/frustration from all things villa right now, but there is certainly not dislike towards anyone.

I meant the word "essay" was beside the point. The point was the first compliment I pay Westwood in weeks was shot down within 3 minutes by you.

And Just to clarify, I said you had a dislike of people complimenting Westwood. Not a dislike of the people themselves.

And I stand by it. You seem to get very annoyed with any praise for him.

That's fine. But it's not a debate anymore.

Edited by Stevo985

I don't see how anybody could enjoy saying how much they hate every aspect of the football club in every thread. But hey, that's your prerogative. If you enjoy that, go ahead.

No reply to the fact you were talking nonsense about me being the only one mentioning 'ticking'. Didn't think so.

Instead more nonsense about something else that exists in your head. Not sure why I'm bothering but check the okore thread. The praise I've given Hutton and Clark tonight. In fact the praise I've just given the forum as that is aston villa.

In fact, can you highlight where I state that I hate everything to do with aston villa in even one thread never mind all of them?

Doubt it, because it's drivel.

You've said yourself you find it hard to find any positives in villa at all.

Don't shoot the messenger.

ATM, and there is many that agree.

However, that is very different to saying that I go in every thread saying I hate everything to do with aston villa.

He's the only player in our midfield (inclusive of Delph) that is capable of making a first time pass to anyone and is also the only player who even bothers to try through balls; which is desperately needed when Gabby is your lone striker rather than Benteke.

Still our best midfielder imo - but I'd like to see him played further forward.  He's not strong enough defensively but is, technically, our best asset.

• Like 2

He's a really good player, but needs players around him to compliment his skills.

The reality is in Westwood, Delph, Cleverly and Sanchez, we have four midfielders who are more or less the same player, with slightly different attributes.

Westwood reminds me of Joe Allen, except when Allen picks up the ball deep, he looks up to see Gerrard, Couthino, Sterling and Llana ahead of him, all moving off ball and looking to get in between the lines, not 2 players right beside him and a couple of statues out wide.

Exact;y what I've been saying.

Westwood isn't amazing, but i do think he's a good player. But our problem, irrelevant of what you think of Westwood, is that he and Cleverley are doign the same job. And  when the other midfielder is Sanchez we're left with nobody attacking.

We desperately need a more attacking midfielder to play alongside these guys, because I fully admit if Westwood is being relied upon to be the creative force in the side, he's not good enough at that  for us to be anything other than crap.