Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Can't believe people are hating on Westy. Hes one of our most consistent performers every week. There are a lot of teams in the league that would be in for him if we went down. Keeps the midfield ticking. The reason Delph is so good is because Westwood allows him to be by playing the simple game behind him. 10x the player Cleverley is and he is going to cost about 10x more than Westwood.

Firstly he is not 10 x the player that Cleverley is! IMO they are very similar players, both with many limitations but both decent passers of the ball.

As for Cleverley costing 10x more than Westwood - I didn't realise we were going to blow approx. £20m on Cleverley!

When there are split opinions on players like this....you can see why we are in trouble.

A few years ago he wouldn't have been near our first team that's how we have gradually deteriorated....but hey he isn't our worst player by any stretch.

Not sure if that's good or bad....doesn't say much about the rest.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I love westy as a player and I can understand why some would hate on him whereas others see his consistent side. I think the thing that makes him look bad is his playing position, CDM is never a fashionable position to be playing and only the worldies of the prem are the ones who take the plaudits.... oh and the fact hes in the villa team makes him look a lot worse of a player than what I believe he actually is.

• Like 1

I love westy as a player and I can understand why some would hate on him whereas others see his consistent side. I think the thing that makes him look bad is his playing position, CDM is never a fashionable position to be playing and only the worldies of the prem are the ones who take the plaudits.... oh and the fact hes in the villa team makes him look a lot worse of a player than what I believe he actually is.

No one hates him, they just don't rate him. It has nothing to do with his position, but simply his performance level, which as a CDM as you state (who are supposed to protect the back 4), is dreadful.

• Like 1

Did well tonight.

But we still have at least 2, if not 3, midfielders doing the same job in our team, with none of them being much of an attacking threat.

Until we get someone in the team who can be an attacking threat then the midfield will always struggle.

Of course you didn't.

Well I could easily say the same back to you - 'of course you did'.

Hardly singling Westwood out here. The vast majority of them were awful.

What exactly did he do well at?

He got behind the ball like the rest of them and made it difficult for Southampton, like the rest of them, but is this all were expecting from a pro-footballer?

Certainly a pro footballer who you and others appear to rate highly and who many see as the player who 'keeps us ticking'!

We certainly didn't 'tick' tonight IMO, and I'm not sure how anyone could argue that given our pathetic possession stats and territorial advantage. So if he's not doing what those that rate him says he does, then what is he doing?

And if he did keep us ticking tonight, then I really would hate to see us when were not ticking.

His set pieces bar 1 or 2 were so easy to defend it's unbelievable. There isn't any invention, no creativity and perhaps that's because of the way we play, but that doesn't mean we can kid ourselves (IMO) that he did well.

Why are you obsessed with this ticking malarky?

All I said was he did well tonight. I thought out of Sanchez, Cleverley and himself he performed the best.

He worked well defensively and was the only midfielder who played anything resembling a through ball to the strikers. He kept the ball as well as anybody (I haven't checked the stats but I'd guess apart from Cleverley he's probably our highest pass success tonight) and was more comfortable in possession than most of the team, something we're crying out for.

I haven't said he was amazing or excellent or brilliant. I just expressed my opinion on a player. That opinion is he did well.

I said the same thing in several other threads about other players. Is that OK? Or am I not allowed to compliment them either?

Edited by Stevo985