Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I'm concerned that Cleverley is going to knock Westwood out of the team. In general, I wanted to sign a right-winger or right-sided forward so that N'Zogbia would be the one to be rotated out, because if truth be told, Westwood has started well this season.

I think once Benteke is fit we are more likely to revert to Weimann, Tekkers and Gabby up top, or to play a diamond. Grealish is also knocking on the door. We're not in a position where we need to play NZog if he's not performing, and certainly he needs to up his game.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9455592/premier-league-201415-ed-chamberlin-picks-five-stars-of-the-season-so-far?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Ed Chamberlain picks Westwood as one of his five stars of the season so far

3. Ashley Westwood

In the summer it seemed fashionable to tip Aston Villa for the drop and they were well backed with Sky Bet to do so. It's early days but that looks unlikely now.

Winning at home, where they struggled for so much of last season, will give Paul Lambert a huge boost. Their next five games are absolutely brutal but Villa remain masters at pulling off a shock and are still the Premier League's hardest team to predict for punters.

Ashley Westwood remains a model of consistency in midfield. Westwood’s strength is his efficient passing style, which means his best work often goes unnoticed. This season he has looked more dynamic and with Fabian Delph's England call-up, plus Tom Cleverley's arrival, Westwood is set to kick on to the next level.

Some Villa fans still dont think he offers that much

Unlike Ed Chamberlain, those Villa fans won't be basing their opinion on 3 games.

I always find it amusing how different the opinions are on midfielders that play that sort of engine role for the team. I remember the endless debate of Petrov or Reo Coker that went on during the Mon years.

While we would all love a perfectly rounded player like Makelele they are very hard to come by. I think Westwood does a good job of keeping the team ticking over in the middle. He does the simple things well while also having a bit more to his passing game. If he wants to stay in that deeper role he needs to improve defensively, his tendency to not track midfield runners is a big problem.

I think we have a really good player in Westwood and he is going to be a big part of our team however given his skills he'd probably be better with a more defensive midfielder behind him.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9455592/premier-league-201415-ed-chamberlin-picks-five-stars-of-the-season-so-far?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

3. Ashley Westwood

In the summer it seemed fashionable to tip Aston Villa for the drop and they were well backed with Sky Bet to do so. It's early days but that looks unlikely now.

Winning at home, where they struggled for so much of last season, will give Paul Lambert a huge boost. Their next five games are absolutely brutal but Villa remain masters at pulling off a shock and are still the Premier League's hardest team to predict for punters.

Ashley Westwood remains a model of consistency in midfield. Westwood’s strength is his efficient passing style, which means his best work often goes unnoticed. This season he has looked more dynamic and with Fabian Delph's England call-up, plus Tom Cleverley's arrival, Westwood is set to kick on to the next level.

Unlike Ed Chamberlain, those Villa fans won't be basing their opinion on 3 games.

Bloody hell, just enjoy he fact that a national journo has picked out one of our players as a 'star' rather than trying to put him down for once.

Stefan, Are you suggesting here that I am always putting Westwood down, or that National Journo's are?

3. Ashley Westwood

God forbid anyone makes  a judgement on current form. Lets judge in last season.

I think if you want to be really naive then go ahead, judge him on 3 games against poor opposition. For me, I am quite happy to recognise that he is playing well (which I do, not that it gets noticed on here), but ultimately has a long way to go to prove he is worthy of the accolades branded about in this thread.

I think if you want to be really naive then go ahead, judge him on 3 games against poor opposition. For me, I am quite happy to recognise that he is playing well (which I do, not that it gets noticed on here), but ultimately has a long way to go to prove he is worthy of the accolades branded about in this thread.

Or, "I'm not going to say anything too good, but as soon as he has a bad game I'll be saying I was right all along."

• Like 1

Or, "I'm not going to say anything too good, but as soon as he has a bad game I'll be saying I was right all along."

Don't think I have ever said anything along them lines. I'm not saying anything 'too' good because right now, there is nothing to be shouting from the roof tops about.

Stoke, Newcastle and Hull are hardly poor opposition. In fact they should all finish in upper mid-table where we should hope to finish, so the fact that we picked up 7 points from 9 off of them is very encouraging.

3. Ashley Westwood

Bloody hell, just enjoy he fact that a national journo has picked out one of our players as a 'star' rather than trying to put him down for once.

Stefan, Are you suggesting here that I am always putting Westwood down

Is this a trick question?

• Like 1

You banged on about concrete evidence 2 seasons ago and even when it was presented to you, still wouldn't accept it so I really can't see how your mind will ever be changed personally.

Like I say, when I praise him, it goes unnoticed. Had you bothered to acknowledge those times then you may see how I will always give Westwood and any player for that matter, the credit that I believe is due. 

3. Ashley Westwood

Stefan, Are you suggesting here that I am always putting Westwood down

Is this a trick question?

Not at all, I said he played well last game.

Stoke, Newcastle and Hull are hardly poor opposition. In fact they should all finish in upper mid-table where we should hope to finish, so the fact that we picked up 7 points from 9 off of them is very encouraging.

Well you can argue that there are no poor teams in the prem on those basis, but there are a lot better than those 3 and if we are honest then not one of those 3 were at their best when we played them. That is not to say we didn't play well or deserve the results. 

Well you can argue that there are no poor teams in the prem on those basis, but there are a lot better than those 3 and if we are honest then not one of those 3 were at their best when we played them. That is not to say we didn't play well or deserve the results. 

A lot worse than those three as well.

Westwood has done really well so far, I don't think he'll be dropped because of Cleverley coming in and in fact seeing us not buy any wingers makes me think we'll try out that diamond shape we deployed against Liverpool last season.