Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Yes great news but contracts really don't mean too much in keeping players at your club.

If Westwood has an even better new season then i have no doubt the vultures will swoop again.

I hear what you are saying and pretty much agree with it, but something tells me this guy will be the exception to the rule.

You would hope so Bond but somehow i doubt it. Loyalty is short lived where money and football is concerned.

Yes great news but contracts really don't mean too much in keeping players at your club.

If Westwood has an even better new season then i have no doubt the vultures will swoop again.

But if he's on bigger and longer contract then he'll cost more.

Which means it'll either deter clubs or we'll get more for him if he does go.

Its a win win situation for the club stevo but to keep our best players we're going to have to improve at the same rate as a team and i just don't think the investment is there at the moment to do that although i hope i am proven wrong.

Good little player with a great attitude and work ethic.

It's really hard for me to say but I think Westwood may be forming a strong bond with both Lambert, as he was the one who gave him his chance, and the club. The only reason I find it difficult to say that is because in this modern age of the game I know someone can quote this in a years time if it goes down the Benteke road. However in this case I genuinely don't think it would.

• Like 1

As long as we show progression, which we did last season (especially with our style of play), we will eventually be able to keep our prized assets.

Just think, in a few years time if we are say top 8 again, the likes of Westwood and Lowton will look back and hopefully realise how much Lambert changed their lives.

This coming season is vital in regards to seeing if Lambert's plan/ideology is working.

Time will tell but to improve we'll need to tighten up defensively but that's not really for this topic.

Westwood I think is here for a good while yet and I hope he can continue his form of last season and add the odd goal to his game!

dont mean this in some sort of xenophobic way as Guzan and Weimann seem to love the club but I think its easier for the English players to form a bond with the club easier than some of the foreign players. Like Benteke will not know Villa are a big club in England **** he didnt even know it was in Birmingham.

But players like Lowton and Westwood probably not only appreciate the chance they got but also they would have seen Villa challenging for Top 4 a few years ago and realise this is actually a sleeping giant

• Like 1

On the budget at Villa I think it may be a while yet until this sleeping giant is awaken. Sadly because money rule this game and we don't seem to be able to compete money wise. Sleeping Giant compared to Crewe and Sheffield United.

I think the fact Westwood and Possibly Lowton are English may make it easier for them to form a bond with the club yes.

I would go as far as to say he is as important to us playing well as Benteke. Makes everything tick and is positive with his passing. On a tangent a little, but Alan Brazil and another ex pro o. TalkShite said they couldn't believe Westwood and Lowton had been overlooked for the u21's in the summer! Cracking player, if he played for one of the Sky 4 he would be being likened to a Barca youth product!!!

I think someone has to tell Alan 'bubbly' Brazil the reason why Westy and Lowton are not in the england U21 squad is that they are 23 and 24 years old.To pay 750k for him is just silly. I feel a bit guilty over Crewe about this.

Maybe we caught them while they were still laughing at the £6m Man Utd fronted for Nick Powell?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18432689

I think someone has to tell Alan 'bubbly' Brazil the reason why Westy and Lowton are not in the england U21 squad is that they are 23 and 24 years old.To pay 750k for him is just silly. I feel a bit guilty over Crewe about this.

Think the rule is something along the lines of you have to be 21 or under the season that the qualifying starts.. Therefore the 2 mentioned probably would have been able to be selected, but Pearce decided not to

Players born on/ after 1st January 1990 were eligible for the previous u21 Tournament - so Westwood could have been selected, but Lowton was too old. 

Edited by Cizzler

Maybe we caught them while they were still laughing at the £6m Man Utd fronted for Nick Powell?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18432689

Crewe is an impressive club. What an academy.