Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Yes big fan of westers but I think he should have a target of 4 to 5 goals next season. If we can get our midfield to chip in with a few next season, it will take some pressure off the forwards.

Agreed and I think he'd probably agree too. He was starting to take shots towards the end of the season, meaning he was getting into those positions in the first place. As a first season finding his feet he did superb. Now that he knows the ropes, I'd expect he'll kick on - and goals will probably be a part of that. 4 or 5 about the limit though I'd say. I'd be more expectant of Delph to add to his tally

Yes big fan of westers but I think he should have a target of 4 to 5 goals next season. If we can get our midfield to chip in with a few next season, it will take some pressure off the forwards.

Agreed and I think he'd probably agree too. He was starting to take shots towards the end of the season, meaning he was getting into those positions in the first place. As a first season finding his feet he did superb. Now that he knows the ropes, I'd expect he'll kick on - and goals will probably be a part of that. 4 or 5 about the limit though I'd say. I'd be more expectant of Delph to add to his tally

Yes agree on Delph,  for me he needs to start adding goals to his game and although his all round play has improved I am still a little disappointed that he doesn't score goals!

Although I agree goals from the midfield is an issue, for me the biggest issue is them keeping tight in front of the defence. It improved dramatically towards the end but I still feel the midfield are playing a massive part in our inability to keep clean sheets. And perhaps the forwards to be fair.

Remember Sylla didn't get a pre-season and he was a big part of tightening up towards the end of the season. I expect we'll be tighter again come August once he has been properly integrated into the side. It's all good :)

Its quite surprising how much the midfield changed. It looked so weak and pathetic both defensively and offensively for most of the season.

A formation change and Sylla playing the odd game has made all the difference.

I actually really like the look of our cm for next season and we've still got a fit Gary Gardner and probably a new signing to add to it.

• Like 2

They still have a lot of work to do defensively as they switch off far too often and fail to track runs. Some of this is just getting more time playing with each other, but they have to learn to stay with their players around our box.

But they're very promising in possession and Westy, Delph, and Sylla each offer something different and dynamic. It's a good balance and I would keep them unless there's a significant new signing that changes the formation or hosts a better player

• 1 month later...

PF said to me that Lowtons agent was on the phone straight after he scored that screamer against Stoke asking for a new contract. Good to hear he has been offered one. Westwood and Lowton will be key players for us for years to come.

I dont want to put too  much pressure on the lad but I wouldnt mind a cheeky bet for Westwood to be in the England Squad by the end of this season. Which probably means we would have to sell him. So I like the current arrangement of us Villa fans saying that Westwood is going to be a  top class player for us and the rest of the fans saying Ashley who?