Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

wedge

Great first half.

Bent and Weimann very impressive up front, defence starts at the front. Midfield hasn't been too great but they are pressing well, final ball really needs to be sorted out though, in particular Holman. Back four also impressive, big fans of the new signings Vlaar and Lowton. Lichaj has been a bit shaky and all the deliveries seem to be coming from his side. As already mentioned by many Guzan has been superb, even if he's had little to do.

Come-on Villa, lets hold this for once...

Really proud of the lads so far

Playing with determination and vigor i hope it continues in the 2nd half and they keep it up and not sit back

I think we defo need a 2nd as the crowd are appealing for everything and i can see them getting some kind of costly home decision

Holman MOTM for me so far he runs and runs what an engine will need to be subbed in the 2nd half though can't keep it up forever

You can tell Holman was not a Lambert purchase.. Every single one of Lamberts purchases are good technically gifted passing players, Holman is.. I don't know what he is but it's not amazing to watch like some of KEA, Vlaar and Lowton play in that half..

Four forwards and two defenders on the bench might make it difficult for us to make a sensible change as we tire in the second half. It'd be great to have Delph, Herd, Westwood or Gardner on there, and given the circumstances I'm surprised that Johnson didn't get the nod over Burke.

Surprised that there's negativity about Holman, I think he's been the most energetic player on the pitch, he's a bit raw but he's been all over the place and been effective. Really like Lowton, can't believe at how at home he looks at this level. And KEA is a class act.

Hope to see Ireland coming into it a bit more, him and Bent are beginning to gain an exciting understanding.

Holman MOTM for me so far

1115581193_8de09_NotSureIfSerious_answer_101_xlarge.jpeg

Holman has been immense

He has easily covered more ground than any other player on the pitch so far he may not have the passing ability but id rather him track back all the time and provide protection for the inexperienced Lichaj than provide 300 useless hollywood passes a game like bannan tries

In regards to Holman, whilst he isn't the most technical player to ever grace a football pitch Borussia Dortmund have done very well by having a workhorse in Kevin Grosskreutz out on the wing. It seems to add balance both going forward and in defence and allows the more creative players to get forward so its not all bad.

Bannan.. good or bad? he started poorly but got better.. then faded... hard to say.. mixed bag.
For me he still flatters to deceive. He'll help win us the occasional game but over the course of a run of games his liability in possession is a net minus, IMO.

I think he's put in 2 crosses, both have been complete, and one created the goal, which is kind of great. But I can't recall him completing a single forward pass from midfield, which is kind of terrible. So you're right, mixed bag. Now that the geordies are ramping up the firepower he doesn't contribute to winning the ball back either.