Joe Bennett

Si.

The difference between Luna and Bennett looks to be that Luna looks like matured player and Bennett looks like a U-21 player, and being pretty much only viable left back was probably too much to ask from Bennett mentally.

• Like 2

Always said he would be better off working his way into the team rather than playing every game as our first choice.

Personally I don't think he's ready for the Premier League yet but he has shown us some good crosses and such so there is something there.

I hope he comes good but for now Luna is ahead of him by miles for me.

Always said he would be better off working his way into the team rather than playing every game as our first choice.

Personally I don't think he's ready for the Premier League yet but he has shown us some good crosses and such so there is something there.

I hope he comes good but for now Luna is ahead of him by miles for me.

I agree with everything you have said except that Luna is a million miles ahead of him Luna is ahead of him, but defensively Luna doesn't fill me with confidence either, to me both Luna and Bennett are in the same mold.  Good going forward but suspect defensively. Fortunately defending is something that can be learnt and improves with experience. 

We have to remember young players need support and backing.

Does Bennett look like he has bulked up at all? If he hasn't I think that is very disappointing, he looked to be obviously lacking in that department last season, and it is easily rectified. If players don't take the time to develop such clear deficiencies then it does make me question their desire to succeed.

Edited by poitier

Some of the abuse he got last season was horrible. The second half away at Bradford when he was running the line right in front of us was a major example of this. Yes emotions were running high but some of the vitriol poured on him was disgusting, no wonder his confidence was in tatters.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

putting it out there, but do we look better with Luna in the team?

I'm not sure i rate Bennett as a defender although he did get better towards the end of the season, but i do know his passing and crossing puts most of the rest of the midfield to shame.

it's too early to write Luna off as i still think he has great qualities, but so far I think bringing Luna in and KEA back has taken us backwards.

Edited by VillanousOne

Yes, we have looked a lot better with Luna. Yesterday was harsh on him as he was up against a very good winger but had little to no protection against him from either the midfielders or our left winger/striker. I still remember him making several good tackles and defensive moves as well as still trying to get forward, albeit making a few mistakes along the way.

Edited by samjp26

What is the point of bringing in a youngish promising player from the lower leagues, spending lots of time developing him, watching him improve as the tough season progresses and then the following season just leave him out as a spare part. I'm sure he'll be given opportunities to establish himself but I hope that those opportunities are decent, otherwise he'll lose all his confidence that he's built up. I like him as a player, I'm not saying this just because of Luna's bad day yesterday, he's no more worse than Lowton defensively, has great technique and is comfortable in possession, I think confidence like for a lot of players makes him perform to his ability.

Edited by villaguy

Did Bennett get a lot of protection last year? Ben Arfa looked fantastic yesterday but Luna was very poor against him, I don't think Bennett could have done any worse as that would have been near impossible. Also Bennett wouldn't have crossed that goalscoring opportunity, that was one crazy decision from Luna

I said it all last year.Bennett is a better FB than Lowton, but when he has a bad one, he has an absolute stinker.For me Luna is just a bit more solid than Bennett, so worth his place, Lowton is a wing back, or a wide midfield player, never anticipates danger, and is beat far too often.You could put both goals down to him yday, but he only cost £1m, so for that  he is a bargain.

Needs to strenthen up.He has good pace, good feet, a good cross, but does seem to suffer from lack of concentration.Against Lennon and Walcott last year he was very good, but shit against Bradford and Norwichx2. He has a touch of Bale about him to me, and reminds me of Whittingham.I still think he could bee a very good left sided midfielder.

That's funny he reminds me a little of Bale when he first arrived at Tottenham, I hope he can gain physically like he did, whereas Lowton reminds me of a right sided version of Whittingham though with his style of play especially his crossing

Â