Charles N'Zogbia

Daveburnside

Where did that come from. was MOTM for Villa by a mile.

not just the assists, but the directness, tracking back and should have had a 3rd assist if Lichaj chance fell to a forward

I thought he was excellent today, a real livewire - I didn't think he'd provided the assist for either goal though.

Didn't Gabby play the last ball in to Benteke? (Which in fairness wasn't really much of an assist, Benteke did the hard bit on his own) and I thought Westwood played the ball to Gabby that he then went on to score with.

Not sure it matters really as both goals were much more individual pieces of excellence rather than team efforts and N'Zogbia was very good anyway - just wondering really.

I thought he was excellent today, a real livewire - I didn't think he'd provided the assist for either goal though.

Didn't Gabby play the last ball in to Benteke? (Which in fairness wasn't really much of an assist, Benteke did the hard bit on his own) and I thought Westwood played the ball to Gabby that he then went on to score with.

Not sure it matters really as both goals were much more individual pieces of excellence rather than team efforts and N'Zogbia was very good anyway - just wondering really.

N'zog got the 2 assists.

So he did and he did very well for both of them - better than I'd remembered from seeing them the first time (I suspect that would be the jumping about and screaming that followed) - he was really good today, I think this shape where he starts on the right and Gabby on the left and they move around a bit works well - they have complimentary strengths and weaknesses if that makes sense.

What I like about him in the position behind the hole is the freedom he's given and positions he takes up like he did for our second goal. He doesn't just play behind two strikers centrally but he drifts into good positions wide in behind midfields where he can cause problems which he did and two assists from either side of the pitch. Promising.

It's interesting, I've seen a few people talk about that position this evening - for me our front three lined up like this:

home.png
Delph
home.png
Westwood

home.png
NZogbia
home.png
Gabby

home.png
Benteke

But a number of people have talked about him starting behind Benteke (which I guess means Gabby up top too - like this:

home.png
Delph
home.png
Westwood

home.png
NZogbia

home.png
Benteke
home.png
Gabby

For me it was definitely the first of those two, with N'Zogbia and Gabby having the freedom to roam - if it wasn't then Gabby spent an awful lot of time out on the left hand side.

Not so much concerned about the two assists.

Anyone could have passed to Benteke for him to score that screamer. Benteke made it out of nothing.

Okay, the second assist was good, noticed Agbonlahor in better position and did not hold on to the ball too long before giving it to him.

What matters more than assists was his ability to make the ball stick at the other end of the pitch.

When we are playing within shooting distance assists will follow without effort.

In the first half he could have had 3 assists, nice inter-play between him and Lichaj.

With Agbonlahor and N'Zogbia we can be electrifying on the counter-attack and for a while it was very enjoyable to watch.

In the second half, they didn't make it stick, and it all went a bit pear-shaped.

Not entirely their fault, we need to be more dynamic as a team.

Our first new signing!

Looked really good today, perhaps he got caught on the ball a fair bit. But he was running at players with purpose.

We both Attacked and defended with purpose as a team today for that matter.

It just the gaping hole in the middle of the park that is killing us.

When Delph went off we lost it completely.

Well cuffed N'Zog did the biz, he will rip Bradford to bits!

he plays much better when playing more central, i think we should consider him more that the attacking role behind the strikers, holman runs and runs but has nothing at the end of it, or not as much anyway, zoggy challenges

It's interesting, I've seen a few people talk about that position this evening - for me our front three lined up like this:

home.png
Delph
home.png
Westwood

home.png
NZogbia
home.png
Gabby

home.png
Benteke

But a number of people have talked about him starting behind Benteke (which I guess means Gabby up top too - like this:

home.png
Delph
home.png
Westwood

home.png
NZogbia

home.png
Benteke
home.png
Gabby

For me it was definitely the first of those two, with N'Zogbia and Gabby having the freedom to roam - if it wasn't then Gabby spent an awful lot of time out on the left hand side.

I think he was given the free role meaning he roamed wherever he thought he could get the ball. From what I saw, N'Zogbia was all over the pitch. He was on the far left when he passed to Benteke and then he was on the right when he passed to Agbonlahor. He was everywhere. I definitely thought Gabby and Benteke were the two strikers with N'Zogbia doing whatever he wanted. It worked.

I think you're wrong OBE. Gabby and Benteke were a front two with Gabby running the channels and the diagonals and N'Zogbia had a free role.

It was great to watch. Benteke is a proper unit, a top class mobile target man and fantastic in the air. N'Zogbia had the trickery and the pace, Gabby lightening quick and strong, direct. They worked well together.

Weimann might rue getting ill. I'd start the three on Tuesday for sure.

Â