Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I suppose at the moment the preoccupation is more whether we can avoid crashing out of the league cup to a fourth tier side whose starting XI cost £7500 to assemble (worth noting that the £7500 was all for one player - the other 10 starters were all free).

Edited by briny_ear

Briny - yeah, the other threads are really busy!! Quite a horror show stat that one made about the 'cost' of the Bradford team that put us to the sword in that game. Further embarrassment for at least the next 40 years is, they will be playing those goals during every 'David and Goliath' league cup/FA Cup match-up at any sniff of an upset... Just like the old 'Ronny Radford clip' and the 'Sutton United clip' and the 'Wrexham clip' and the 'Wimbledon clip...' Oh well, not the first club to get fingered in a 'cup shock' and we won't be the last... Oh, Swansea already done it lol...

Anyway - Relegation.

A thread elsewhere had CI saying that Southampton this Saturday is a 'must win' or at least a 'mustn't lose.' I go further and suggest it is definitely a 'must win' game given very recent premier league history for our team. Interested to know if anyone else thinks that a single point would be 'good enough' on Saturday? True, a single point represents a little bit more 'rot stopping' - but a point against fellow strugglers, where we have already lost heavily at home to another fellow struggler lately, may not be enough...

Discuss - :ph34r:

It's more important that we don't lose, than it is than we win.. if that makes sense.

I'd also agree that it's a must-win game.

To win is good.

To draw is bad, but not the end of the world.

To lose would be catastrophic.

Southampton aren't going to get too more wins along the way, we can't afford to gift them one.

Another plus point is that they have only got 5 points out of 27 away from home this season - the only side they have beaten away is QPR.

The slight cloud is that those 5 points have come in their last 4 away games, and they have taken 14 points in total from their last 10 games so they are in a spot of form.

Few facts I've just come across, appreciate many of you will have seen some of them but thought I'd post anyway:

Villa have won just five of their last thirty-seven league games.

We have also won only three of our last twenty-three home league games.

We have the fewest wins in 2012 out of all ninety-two Football League teams (6).

Villa also scored the fewest number of league goals in the entire Football League in 2012 (30).

If we don't go down, it will be an absolute shock.

We have the fewest wins in 2012 out of all ninety-two Football League teams (6).

Villa also scored the fewest number of league goals in the entire Football League in 2012 (30).

You just cant argue with that. Abysmal

Few facts I've just come across, appreciate many of you will have seen some of them but thought I'd post anyway:

Think this is it guys. We have skirted with it for 2 seasons and steadily got worse. With stats like that and a genuine lack of faith in all but a handful of our players I think we might just go down.

The media spotlight is going to be on us, and the pressure is going to mount. Everyone would love to see us go, like everyone did newcastle. The difference being, I do not think we will come back up quite so comprehensively.

If we are to stand even a slither of hope we must win on Saturday.

lets be honest, can we really see us winning any games remaining in this season? maybe a few flukey draws if were lucky

Yes, starting on Saturday :)

I am suddenly overcome with a renewed optimism!

You just cant argue with that. Abysmal

I can argue with that. We weren't relegated last season and we are currently not in the relagation zone this season.

Putting all results and performances aside, we are not in the drop zone and we've played over half the season.

I can argue with that. We weren't relegated last season and we are currently not in the relagation zone this season.

Putting all results and performances aside, we are not in the drop zone and we've played over half the season.

It don't really mean nothing though does it? Wolves were also 16th on the 11th of January of last year. If those stats continue to get worse, we will be relegated just like Wolves. Things need to be fixed now, not "let's hope we can stay up this time around and fix it in the summer".

I suspect we may well be in the drop zone on Saturday evening though.

I can see Wigan getting a point from Fulham and we will struggle against Southhampton. If we drop below the line this weekend I don't think we will come back unless there are some real improvements in the squad this month.

It don't really mean nothing though does it? Wolves were also 16th on the 11th of January of last year. If those stats continue to get worse, we will be relegated just like Wolves. Things need to be fixed now, not "let's hope we can stay up this time around and fix it in the summer".

I'm not saying we will or we won't go down, I just don't think it's as straightforward as some people seem to think it is.

I have been very positive over this last 4 months or so but as I said the other day I am being pushed to the edge gradually.

There is now a point where the road of our journey splits into two.

Side A. being that we get a result against Southampton (ideally 3pts) and also against WBA (ideally a 1pt) and we then go onto book our place in the final of the Lge Cup.

While this is happening more new decent signings need to be brought in as for me and alot of us I don't think solely more players from english lower leagues will wash with the fans in this delicate time.

Side B. that we get beat by Southampton on Sat and get nothing from west brom while still being unable to secure our place in the final and only a hadful of more lower league signings are made then it won't be too many miles down this road where we simply go '**** ya off the cliff' and the inevitable happens!

I hope PL, Randy and **** face Faulkner all have a plan to turn things round because this needs to happen in the next 21 days or we can forget about it.

What I will say is that if by Feb we have still been poor, the signings unacceptable and we know we are heading for the drop, what do we as the fans do about it?

Do we:

• Sit and accept were **** and prepare for the championship?
  • Hold up silly signs in the crowd and whack up a few banners of 'Randy Out'?
  • Do we all as one hand back season tickets, stop buying merchandise, stop attending ALL games while heavily demonstrating outside Villa Park (similar to the scenes of Anfield upon the removal of hicks and gillette?)

I hope and pray we swerve onto the A road at the last minute as if not then sliding down the B road will cause for more than just a 'Panic Button' being pushed!

What is everyone elses thoughts about this and the next 21 days?

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1