Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

McLvPL1_zps7dbbb0ae.jpg

There has been some debate on this and the PL thread about current form and whether we are progressing or not. It's a quiet day today so I took a look at the points return (averaged over five games) for last season and for this. If you look at McLeish's season (on the left) you can see that the trend was downwards and getting worse. Looking at this season, you can see that the trend is upwards and getting better. 

In fact, this season there are two distinct upward trends - good progress initially, a disasterous Christmas period and then another period of progress since the Swansea game.

Lambert has made some mistakes as all managers do but the trends show that he is taking us in the right direction. If the trend this season was downwards I would agree with all the haters on here that Lambert is not the right man but I am seeing progress - I also admire the way that he is doing it with young players and trying to play attractive football. 

We need six points from the next four games - ideally from the next two, and then we can look forward to a happier time next season

We are seventeenth and fighting relegation. We have been in this position for most of the season and if we don't get a result against Sunderland are in dire trouble. There has been little or no progression on the league table so if you view that as progress then good luck.

I think Wigan will pick up a surprise win or two.. whether we can match that I don't know.

WE WILL DEFINATELY BEAT NORWICH.

A win or draw against Sunderland and a point against Chelsea. Will that be enough?

We simply need to beat Sunderland, and i think we will. Watched Norwich the other day, and they leave so much space for opposing attacking players that i think we will see a similar result to our league cup game.

McLvPL1_zps7dbbb0ae.jpg

There has been some debate on this and the PL thread about current form and whether we are progressing or not. It's a quiet day today so I took a look at the points return (averaged over five games) for last season and for this. If you look at McLeish's season (on the left) you can see that the trend was downwards and getting worse. Looking at this season, you can see that the trend is upwards and getting better. 

In fact, this season there are two distinct upward trends - good progress initially, a disasterous Christmas period and then another period of progress since the Swansea game.

Lambert has made some mistakes as all managers do but the trends show that he is taking us in the right direction. If the trend this season was downwards I would agree with all the haters on here that Lambert is not the right man but I am seeing progress - I also admire the way that he is doing it with young players and trying to play attractive football. 

We need six points from the next four games - ideally from the next two, and then we can look forward to a happier time next season

We are seventeenth and fighting relegation. We have been in this position for most of the season and if we don't get a result against Sunderland are in dire trouble. There has been little or no progression on the league table so if you view that as progress then good luck.

haha - I'm not surprised that you deliberatley miss the point but which of the statistics above do you disagree with?

We are clearly progressing but it doesnt suit your argument to admit that

Of course we are in trouble, no one is disputing that but the progress is also clear to see - I just hope (and expect) that we can maintain our from for the last four games of the season and if so our run of form bodes well for next year

McLvPL2_zps74ce280e.jpg

Here is a hope :

Beat Sunderland .. And :

Sunderland 37 .. Villa 37 ..

Norwich and Stoke will either be : 41 , 37 .. or 39 , 38 .. or 38 , 40 ..

If Newcastle loses to Liverpool then they'll also stay 37 ..

Well I know we could say Southampton are out from it but ..

They've a game with the Baggies .. If they lose it .. Well .. they could be dragged in the race too .. But it's in their home .. + I think we need the Baggies to win their game with Wigan most importantly ..

Anyway ..

Hopefully if the Spurs beat Wigan .. we would have a breathe ..

Norwich 39 ..

Stoke 38 .. 

Sunderland 37 ..

Newcastle 37 .. 

Aston Villa 37 .. 

Wigan 31 with a game on hand !

I'm hoping the table would be looking like this .. Although I'm not sure if I want Norwich to win or Draw with Stoke ! I think a defeat for Stoke somehow will be better so they be 37 with us .. as they'll play with Sunderland !

Fixtures are hard to predict .. Hopefully we could be safe as soon as possible !

Win against Sunderland we will survive, lose and we are down, it is as simple as that IMO.

What about a draw?

Keeps it in the balance. Duhhh :)

Win against Sunderland we will survive, lose and we are down, it is as simple as that IMO.

It's not though is it? Realistically we could still be 3 points clear after this weekend even if we lose. The WORST case scenario is that we have to beat Wigan on the final day to stay up and everyone and their dog is praying it doesn't come to that.

Anyone explain why Stoke and Sunderland are suddenly safe after ONE win? We wont be safe after another win.

Ive been thinking that!

More twists and turns to come.

You seriously don't see why ?

We need 2 wins from 4 games - Stoke and Sunderland need 1 win from 4 games -

If you think stoke and sunderland will go down - a trip to the bookies may be in order - you can get up to 28-1 for stoke\sunderland to be relegated - think villa are 13/8

McLvPL1_zps7dbbb0ae.jpg

haha - I'm not surprised that you deliberatley miss the point but which of the statistics above do you disagree with?

Of course we are in trouble, no one is disputing that but the progress is also clear to see - I just hope (and expect) that we can maintain our from for the last four games of the season and if so our run of form bodes well for next year

McLvPL2_zps74ce280e.jpg

The statistic i base my point of view on is where we have been and currently are in the league. Is it so hard for you to understand?

McLvPL1_zps7dbbb0ae.jpg

McLvPL2_zps74ce280e.jpg

The trouble with this is the trend doesn't really mean anything. You were putting a similar chart up just before our horrendous run over Christmas to demonstrate the "progress" being made and then look what happened. We were apparently clearly progressing at that point and then proceeded to go on one of the most atrocious runs I have ever witnessed, something that your charts didn't suggest was about to occur. I am desperate for us to stay up and really hope Lambert's tenure and his so-called "project" turn out to be the revolutionary approach that leads us back up the table in a sustainable fashion, but I worry that even if we do avoid the drop, without significant investment, next season will be very similar to the current one. A trend I would like to see is the points return compared to level of investment, going back a number of seasons - I think this may be more indicative of the progress we are making, or not. 

• Like 1

Complete .. 

After the assumption of us winning + Newcastle and Wigan losing + either way of Norwich and Stoke game ..

We will play Norwich in round 36 .. 

Wigan will play West Brom ..

Newcastle will play West Ham ..

All away Saturday ..

Then Monday .. Sunderland will play Stoke at Sunderland !

Therefore =>> If we beat Norwich also .. Then we will atleast be above two other teams from Norwich , Stoke or Sunderland .. With a potential to be above the three of them + Newcastle and Southampton too if somehow the results gone our way .. Although maybe being above all of them isn't as good as being above of two or three of them with a couple of point ! 

Anyway ..

Beating Sunderland and Norwich meaning we could drag atleast one team directly below us .. With potential of throwing 5 teams below us ! 

I'll try to check the round after that .. And try to check it with us to draw one and winning one .. 

I think Wigan will pick up a surprise win or two.. whether we can match that I don't know.

WE WILL DEFINATELY BEAT NORWICH.

A win or draw against Sunderland and a point against Chelsea. Will that be enough?

We simply need to beat Sunderland, and i think we will. Watched Norwich the other day, and they leave so much space for opposing attacking players that i think we will see a similar result to our league cup game.

could be norwich 6 villa 6 then, I'll put a bet on.