Rino8

Still no mention of the relegation and failure to bounce back , is it a banned topic?

Are you suggesting he isn't as good a manager as people believe because he was in charge when Mainz got relegated?

He's had 2 jobs, 1 ended after he got a team relegated and didn't get them back up. Another went very well. 

Both in the same country, and not the most competitive league in the world.

For me that makes him a bit of a risk, not the guaranteed success some seem to think he will be. 

He also seems to be bonkers which may or may not help! 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/21/jurgen-klopp-borussia-dortmund-champions-league

Klopp has always been interested in ways of unifying his teams for, as he says: "You can speak about spirit – or you can live it." At Mainz, after he'd led the club to promotion in 2004, he settled on an unlikely pre-season trip. "We took the team to a lake in Sweden where there was no electricity. We went for five days without food. They had to do this [he whistles and, using an imaginary fishing rod, casts off]. The other coaches said: 'Don't you think it's better to train playing football?' No. I wanted the team to feel that they can survive everything. My assistant coach thinks I'm an idiot. He asks if we can train there. No. Can we run there? No. But we can swim and fish!

"When I meet one of those players now, from our 'Special Forces', they tell me what happened in the first and last minute and every story in between. Each night in a **** tent, lying on the roots, you don't forget that. We had to find the next island. The first one there had to make a fire and boil some water. The whole time it was raining. Only five hours it was not and then [Klopp slaps his cheek] … a mosquito! How can they live in Sweden? You see the sun and [he slaps his cheek again] you feel mosquitos! But it was brilliant. We were like Bravehearts. You can stick a knife in me here – no problem. We went to the Bundesliga and people could not believe how strong we were."

Brutal preseason eh? the guy does sound mad

Edited by AshVilla

My hunch is he won't meet expectations...maybe they'll finish top 4 under him once or twice but really whoever the manager is they just want to win the league whatever the situation and however realistic it is, very tough for any manager to achieve that.

One thing I would say...can Klopp organise a back 4 any better than Rodgers? I say that as watching Dortmund for 4 months last season they were making schoolboy errors at the back, never seen a disorganised team and he's working with Sakho and Lovren now...

Plenty of high scoring Liverpool games for rest of the season I think.

Edit: I'm also intrigued by what he'll wear on matchday. For CL games he smarted up and put on a suit and tie but always tracksuit and cap for Bundesliga games. Can't wait until they play WBA and you have two managers wearing baseball caps next to each other!

Edited by VillaChris

The way this league is gifting points to one another, they'll be top 4 by Christmas.  They're 3pts off the CL right now with Leicester, Palace and West Ham above them :(  Any improvement at all (and that squad has bags of improvement in reserve...) will see them instantly jump above the rank and file.

Is Liverpool qualifying for top 4 and then bombing out in the group stages really so bad?

What it does mean and will be equally hilarious is either Man. United and world expert LVG will be out of it and so Giggs will be parachuted in a year early or even more comical Chelsea miss out so good luck to Mourinho expecting that one to Roman if he's still alive at that point. Chelsea desperately need CL to continue their global standing, they'd start to plummet if they spent a few seasons in europa league.

That's with 4 teams aswell, will probably be 3 within next few years.

I've not mentioned City or Arsenal as those two are complete locks based on what I've seen so far this season.

Edit: I'm not totally against Klopp btw, what will help him for the first 18 months will be how refreshing his personality is in the media which will get him a lot of goodwill and will be nice to see compared to the mud slinging you get from the likes of Mourinho and Wenger.

Edited by VillaChris

You beat me to it. I was just about to mention how funny it is that he comes in just as it looks like England will be going to three Champions League places, or certainly moving to it at the point he might expect it to be relevant to them :)

Guess he'll take the Europa league very seriously for rest of the season, he might see winning that as a good launchpad to get a winning mentality in the squad.

One thing...Sturridge fit again, Coutinho, Benteke, Ings has been o.k aswell chipping in with goals...that is a very good selection of options in the final third comparable to what Chelsea and Man. United have imo. The wildcard is Firmino who has been non-existant so far but Klopp saw how good he was in the Bundesliga so will have an idea of how to fit him in.

Edited by VillaChris

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/21/jurgen-klopp-borussia-dortmund-champions-league

Klopp has always been interested in ways of unifying his teams for, as he says: "You can speak about spirit – or you can live it." At Mainz, after he'd led the club to promotion in 2004, he settled on an unlikely pre-season trip. "We took the team to a lake in Sweden where there was no electricity. We went for five days without food. They had to do this [he whistles and, using an imaginary fishing rod, casts off]. The other coaches said: 'Don't you think it's better to train playing football?' No. I wanted the team to feel that they can survive everything. My assistant coach thinks I'm an idiot. He asks if we can train there. No. Can we run there? No. But we can swim and fish!

James Milner does that for fun.

• Like 1

"When I meet one of those players now, from our 'Special Forces', they tell me what happened in the first and last minute and every story in between. Each night in a **** tent, lying on the roots, you don't forget that. We had to find the next island. The first one there had to make a fire and boil some water. The whole time it was raining. Only five hours it was not and then [Klopp slaps his cheek] … a mosquito! How can they live in Sweden? You see the sun and [he slaps his cheek again] you feel mosquitos! But it was brilliant. We were like Bravehearts. You can stick a knife in me here – no problem. We went to the Bundesliga and people could not believe how strong we were."

If he pulls that shit and they start the season badly hell be picking up his P45 before he knows it.

If he pulls that shit and they start the season badly hell be picking up his P45 before he knows it.

It's a shame because it's what our squad desperately needs tbh someone who will grab our kids by the scruff of their neck and turn them into men

yeh ofc its not a perfect match. When you got skrtl/lovren as your CB's its always going to be a problem. Sturridge will probably get injured for the 12348348x after having to work so hard due to klopp style. And then do lucas/henderson/milner/coutinho have the intelligence to play their roles, hmmm. But they splash the cash so i dont think anyone should be judging klopp until next season starts, even if they finish 8th this season.

I dont think they will ever break into top 4 though. 5th highest budget will average 5th. Pretty sure 99% of united fans would snap swap klopp for LVG aswell, they really should have got him. (ofc from business side it doesnt make that much sense)

I think his biggest problem will be patience - he's the type of manager that can befriend, motivate and inspire a group of players - but there will be pressure for instant success and there will be constant pressure to sign another big name and another big name - and that's without even getting to the underlying problem of the Liverpool job, which is the fan expectancy for the world to be 1987 and for Liverpool to always win the league. 

I like him, I think it's a tough job, I think success is the top four in the next four years, I think he'll do that and they'll sack him for it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's any harder than beating Munich to a couple of titles.

I think he will be successful I guess it's just a question of what people view success for them and him as being.

Personally I think Arsenal are vulnerable and have been for a few years now in terms of that top 4.

I think he will be successful I guess it's just a question of what people view success for them and him as being.

Personally I think Arsenal are vulnerable and have been for a few years now in terms of that top 4.

No chance, If Arsenal could still beat us to 4th when they were playing the likes of Eboue and Denilson in 2009 and also hold off Spurs when they arguably had a better team than Arsenal with Bale in amazing form, they're not going to bomb out of the top 4 now when they've got arguably the second best attacking player in the premier league in Alexis and other excellent players like Ozil, Ramsey, Carzorla etc.

As ever with Arsenal they'll beat enough of the bottom half home and away to be fine.

No chance, If Arsenal could still beat us to 4th when they were playing the likes of Eboue and Denilson in 2009 and also hold off Spurs when they arguably had a better team than Arsenal with Bale in amazing form, they're not going to bomb out of the top 4 now when they've got arguably the second best attacking player in the premier league in Alexis and other excellent players like Ozil, Ramsey, Carzorla etc.

As ever with Arsenal they'll beat enough of the bottom half home and away to be fine.

I wasn't talking about this season, more over the period of Klopp's likely tenure.

There is though a world of difference between us under O'Neill and Liverpool under Klopp.

Edited by TrentVilla

Â