Rino8

They're still more of a lure than the likes of Southampton, and they've spent hundreds of millions.  I have no sympathy for him or his bank balance.

20. “After that opening 10 or 15 minutes, when they had a bit too much space behind our midfield, it was the near-perfect away performance.” (After losing 2-0 to Zenit St Petersburg)

19. “The last 18 months we have been on a magic carpet ride of development but we still have a lot of growth to make.”

18. “When we lost at Stoke last season I got home on Boxing Day night and family and guests were all around the house. I went straight upstairs to my room and didn’t come out.”

17. “The problem with being a manager is it’s like trying to build an aircraft while it is flying.”

16. “Joe Allen is one of the most courageous players I’ve seen.”

15. “I am the same guy who nearly won us the league, but better. I think I have shown in the early stages of my management – without being arrogant – that with a talented group of players I can compete at the top end of the league.”

14. “I use a quote with the players, “Per aspera ad astra”, which is Latin for ‘through adversity to the stars’.”

13. “We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper.”

12. “I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings.”

11. “I will leave no stone unturned in my quest – and that quest will be relentless.”

10. “They don’t have to sell. (Southampton) have a choice. Maybe Southampton’s objectives have changed. They were looking to be a Champions League club, I believe.” (Made in August 2014, with Liverpool finishing two points above Saints come May)

9. “I always say a squad is like a good meal. I’m not a great cook, but a good meal takes a wee bit of time. But also, to offer a good meal you need good ingredients.”

8. “There are two points: the first is I don’t feel any pressure, I can honestly say that. I have never felt anything other than secure.” (Rodgers was sacked within an hour or so)

7. “I’ve always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can’t live for a second without hope.”

6. “I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence, he’ll try and get his way through it some way, but the young player will fight for you.”

5. “It’s not just about training players, it’s about educating players. You train dogs.”

4. “When you’ve got the ball 65-70% of the time, it’s a football death for the other team. We’re not at that stage yet, but that’s what we will get to. It’s death by football. You just suck the life out of them.”

3. “If you spend more than £100 million, you expect to be challenging for the league.” (On Spurs after they sold Gareth Bale in 2013, spent £103million and finished 6th. Liverpool sold Luis Suarez the next summer, spent £117million and finished 6th)

2. “I think there’s three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes.”

1. “My biggest mentor is myself because I’ve had to study and that’s been my biggest influence.”

David-Brent.jpg

Edited by darrenm
  • Like 3

I noticed that Sky have a "Liverpool manager hunt Live!" ticker with it being updated every other hour on their website

http://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/29218/10014024/liverpool-manager-hunt-live

I wonder if they will do the same thing when us Sunderland and Newcastle start looking for a new manager i doubt it...

It's ridiculous how much sky cream over Liverpool i didn't think the transfer window opened again till January?

Edited by AshVilla

Those Brenton quotes are great, I think he felt making statements like that appealed to the Liverpool fans, making it sound like the job was the biggest in the world.

To be fair, that plane metaphor isn't too bad really. The others are truly cringeworthy. The 11 men v 10 men and a goal keeper is just bizarre. 

• Like 1

Those Brenton quotes are great, I think he felt making statements like that appealed to the Liverpool fans, making it sound like the job was the biggest in the world.

To be fair, that plane metaphor isn't too bad really. The others are truly cringeworthy. The 11 men v 10 men and a goal keeper is just bizarre. 

My personal favourite has to be that I am my own mentor.  I mean f**k me, how he didn't punch himself after saying that.

I feel so conflicted. If Klopp goes to Liverpool i'll be devastated but at the same time he has been touted as Guardiola's replacement which is just as bad. I don't which is the lesser of two evils.

I always thought he'd be the next Arsenal manager, seemed like a perfect fit IMO.

Haha yeah, that quote is directly from Wernham Hogg, isn't it. I just don't remember him being like that at Swansea. 

he had less media on him but I think he was

16. “Joe Allen is one of the most courageous players I’ve seen.”

What does that even mean :crylaugh:

Definitely looking forward to him. Just wish it wasn't with them. He'll be a breath of fresh air. Hopefully it all goes tits up and he's actually properly bad mental after how it ended at Dortmund. There are those who believe he really did have a screw loose at the end. Fingers crossed eh?

• Like 2

HIs signings were woeful/crap in the end like Immobile,Ramos, and Mkhtaryan(who has been revived under Tuchel)

Except Aubamayeng and Reus he hasnt really made a good signing since 2011 so he will fit in with Rodgers transfer success :D His football also too one dimensional and similar to what BR was trying to achieve

Think Benteke will not be to his liking

Rodgers spent 290 million quid in his time there apparently!

But got £160m back in sales. Still a lot of money but not really fair to throw he £290m figure about.

Perfectly fair enough if you ask me. He spent all that money and what did they get for it? How many great signings did he make? 

HIs signings were woeful/crap in the end like Immobile,Ramos, and Mkhtaryan(who has been revived under Tuchel)

Except Aubamayeng and Reus he hasnt really made a good signing since 2011 so he will fit in with Rodgers transfer success :D His football also too one dimensional and similar to what BR was trying to achieve

Think Benteke will not be to his liking

Dortmund have a director of football so the transfers aren't all down to him and his style is nothing like Brendan Rodgers, not even close. I've watched pretty much every Dortmund game since I went to see them live in the first title winning season and Klopp's style isn't quite as rigid as many think. Its the mental aspect of the game that remains the same and that drains players.

The issue Dortmund and Klopp had at the end was simple. His style of play demands not only quality on the ball but high energy and commitment. Dortmund, whilst a wealthy club, can't really afford the turnover of quality players needed to keep a system like they had fresh. Add to the rumours of players like Gundogan, Reus and Hummels all potentially leaving and you can see why after 7 years things went a little stale.

The season that he left they also had a lot of injuries and a small squad compared to a lot of the top teams. The quality players were being taken from them and they ended up in a situation similar to ours this season in that their main focal point in attack was gone.

I fear he'll do incredibly well at Anfield. So annoying that they may get such an iconic manager.

Edited by sexbelowsound

admittedly havent seen that much of them this season but is that an issue that atletico madrid are struggling with this year? they reminded me of how klopp had dortmund playing, high intensity off the ball, super organised, amazing ability to press the ball, does it lose its impetus after a couple of years? even barca have struggled to keep it going at times

id love to see an english team with that mentality, think the ability to press as a team and ability off the ball is completely overshadowed by our seeming lack of ability on it, southampton could do it but nowhere near as effectively as the big european teams

would love to see klopp in the prem, inevitably its going to be at a team that i dont like because i dont like most of them, but would still prefer it not to be liverpool, still a massive challenge for him, their muppet fans will want CL qualification this year and the title next year

Â