Rino8

The Europa league is a chance at a European trophy though. I agree that if you're a midtable side it's damaging, but if you're good enough to finish sixth but not top four, what's the point of doing that every year if you don't go for the European trophy that you do qualify for?

champions league qualification as well

The Europa definitely needs reformatting . Straight knockout is surely the way to go.

How would teams prepare for a season in the Europa league if their campaign could only be 1 tie. Teams need to be guaranteed at least 3 ties.

They managed just fine before when it was a straight knock out

Yes, but I think times have changed now. Players earn more, teams need to budget better.

If you are trying the make to competition worth being in then teams like Villa, Everton, Newcastle etc. would need to invest in a squad to be able to compete in it in addition to the domestic competitions.

If Villa signed a couple of extra heads to cover the European commitments and then bombed straight out after 1 match then they would be in a mess. 

The result would probably be we would take it even less seriously than before, not make any additional increases in squad size and just play a fringe side which would damage the credibility of it even more.
  • Like 1

There's clearly a balance to strike here. They need a few guaranteed games to make investment worth while but not have round after round of group games. 

I think like the WC, Euro's and CL, a group of 4 means 6 games, then knockout. Or even a group of 3 = 4 matches.

I don't mind spending more than other teams, as long as you actually earned the money you spend. If you just had it handed to you by a billionaire looking to buy political asylum or a vanity project then what is the point?

Was this your view when our own billionaire was enabling us to spend beyond our means out of interest?

I never wanted Chelsea style spending but I have to say, it was exciting times for a while there. I thought the helping hand would lift us to a better position, it's hard to be objective when it's your own team.

That is the thing though, the 'helping hand' is needed to have a chance of challenging clubs who are far higher up the food-chain than yourselves. If every club solely relies on money earned, then this only ensures the supremacy of the bigger clubs who will always earn far more whilst they regularly appear in the Champions League and enjoy the benefits of having the global brand that comes with this. It's why I will never begrudge the success of clubs like Chelsea and Man City myself, especially when I had no problem with Villa effectively attempting to do the same.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

don't know what will be worse the fans or the media if Liverpool win the league. Martin Tyler was creaming himself yesterday even before the game.

I thought I read somewhere that he was a Villa fan...

Topic title says 2012/2013. A year out.

Because it was started in Aug 2012 but people continued using it this season. We aren't allowed to change thread titles because of links back to threads from elsewhere.

Wrong thread. Heck, wrong forum, but please explain further...

don't know what will be worse the fans or the media if Liverpool win the league. Martin Tyler was creaming himself yesterday even before the game.

I thought I read somewhere that he was a Villa fan...

He's also an employee of Sky.  As Yanited aren't going to win the league this season they'll be rooting for the Redscousers as the second most supported team i.e. better viewing figures.

Topic title says 2012/2013. A year out.

Because it was started in Aug 2012 but people continued using it this season. We aren't allowed to change thread titles because of links back to threads from elsewhere.

Wrong thread. Heck, wrong forum, but please explain further...

We are all at the mercy of Google.

• Like 1

Momentum is a great thing and its all with Liverpool. They have by far the most fire-power. The key are the home games against Chelsea and Man city and the fact they are at home. Also I think Everton may sneak a point off City.

Also I think Brendan Rodgers is way ahead of any other manager in the league. 

Edited by PaulC

Would really hate it if they won because of their fans. I have a couple of mates who support them and I genuinely switch off when they are talking about football as its just so boring and one eyed.

Yes they have played great stuff and probably deserve to win but I would just hate it

• Like 3

Â