Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

He had a good World Cup but if he was as good as those games suggest then he'd be playing for Real Madrid now or someone. All very fine though if we can use his performances to get a big fee for him.

If you watched he grew into the role starting off a bit dodgy but getting better game by game 

Rest of the post aside, this is a load of bollocks. First game of the tournament he had one of the best strikers in the world in his pocket.

I thought he looked uncomfortable in parts during the group stages as he was not used to the system perhaps dodgy was the wrong word?

Why the aggression though you just naturally frustrated or a troll?

If ever a gauge was needed as to how far Lerner has taken us (backwards) then this sorry thread is it.

Say all that you want about Doug but we would never have been worrying about the Southamptons of this world poaching our best players under his ownership.

One of the few Lambert signings that have worked out & we risk loosing him to South fu@@in Hampton. Unbelievable

Oh really?

Just the mighty Middlesbrough with all their ambition.

Not to mention that Barry wanted to leave for the mighty portsmouth. And IIRC it wasn't for that big a fee.

I just wish I was as cool as you.

Really though, I thought your post was absolute drivel which seemed purely written to have a jab at PL and the bit where you tried to repaint Vlaar's world cup as a mediocre defender progressively made into a great one in the space of a month by LVG was the low point.

You do realise LVG has already coached Vlaar for a season at club level?

• Like 1

He had a good World Cup but if he was as good as those games suggest then he'd be playing for Real Madrid now or someone. All very fine though if we can use his performances to get a big fee for him.

Correct. Vlaar is average in comparison to some of our previous centre halves but alot better than the current crop (Okore aside as we haven't seen enough to make judgement)

Personally if Saints want him and will pay over the odds in the same way they have for Long ie £12-15m then I'd sell him providing Lambert is given all the money to replace him. Otherwise if they're not offering silly money then keep him and take the risk of him walking away for nothing come May.

• Like 3

I just wish I was as cool as you.

Really though, I thought your post was absolute drivel which seemed purely written to have a jab at PL and the bit where you tried to repaint Vlaar's world cup as a mediocre defender progressively made into a great one in the space of a month by LVG was the low point.

You do realise LVG has already coached Vlaar for a season at club level?

Have you ever the Eredivisie? Defending isn't one of the things they concentrate on too much? Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink summed it up on Sky last weekend he said 'you'll see some good attacking and bad defending'.

But hey at least LVG has the good manners not to tap up players in his pressers! 

Let's see what Koeman says in his today?

Have you ever the Eredivisie? Defending isn't one of the things they concentrate on too much? Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink summed it up on Sky last weekend he said 'you'll see some good attacking and bad defending'.

So LVG was intentionally not teaching Vlaar how to defend for that season just because the level of defending in the league isn't as good as the attacking.

Have you ever logic?

Why is it so hard for Villa fans to agree on he fact that Vlaar is a very good defender who is becoming recognised as that by genuine football people all round the world?  He is without doubt one of the better defenders we've ever had (the rose coloured view of Laursen and others baffles me, he played relatively few games for us and was also prone to errors) Mellberg and McGrath deserve all the plaudits they got because of amount of games and just sheer consistency, and Southgate and Ehiogu were a great partnership but I reckon Vlaar is up there with those two at least and will only get better.  All that to say, hold on to him please!  The fallacy of 'let's sell him and get someone better in' is just so naive as to be embarrassing.

For me:-

McGrath >  Mellberg > Laursen > Vlaar > Southgate > Dunne > Ehiogu > Teale > Others (Johnson, Alpay, Clark, Baker, Cahill, Collins) etc.

In roughly that order, given my age.

Edited by Djemba_Villan
  • Like 3

I want us to hold on to Vlaar. If Koeman wants him as badly as he is making out then we should be miking him for as much as possible. £15m sounds about right to me judging by todays market and Ron on the back of a great World Cup.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-ron-vlaar-fit-7617366

So, we haven't even begun contract talks with Vlaar.

It seems to me that the club is either:

A. Lying

B. have no intention of renewing his contract, is happy to sell him and is waiting for a bid.

C. negligent by not offering a new deal long before now

Rumours are that we are in a bit of a mess behind the scenes so it would not surprise me if it is C. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-ron-vlaar-fit-7617366

A. Lying

B. have no intention of renewing his contract, is happy to sell him and is waiting for a bid.

Rumours are that we are in a bit of a mess behind the scenes so it would not surprise me if it is C. 

Rumours? I think it's fairly obvious!

• Like 1

I see no reason why Lambert cannot confirm or deny that we have made Vlaar an offer or not. He doesn't have to give details but the club are driving fans away at the moment and situations like this are not helping.

So you think fans are being driven away because the manager won't confirm the details of any conversations that may or may not have occurred in relation to a contract extension? Seriously?

• Like 1

A. Lying

Or Ron Vlaar has said he is not interested in extending.

A. Lying

Its not like we’ve been trying to tie up a fairly complicated foreign signing, involving third party ownership and lots of representatives or anything, is it?

Â