Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

He took responsibility for their goal tonight and that's great to see. No matter what some say, he is a leader and we need more like him in the side. I can guarantee to you that no other player on the team would even consider giving an interview after that embarrassment, and it's unfortunate we do not have more players like him. It's also worth mentioning this was only his second match after more than 2 months out and aside from losing his man on the corner, he had a solid match. Those who want to slag him off and call him awful are clueless, obviously no player will ever be good enough will they?

• Like 3

How Vlaar isn't good enough I don't know. He made a mistake yes, but we are far stronger as mentioned with him in the side. The guy is literally having to carry defenders like Bennett and Clark alongside him who simply aren't good enough right now, and there is no midfield protection.

We have major problems, Vlaar isn't one of them.

Completely agree.

Get Dunne back in there as well with Vlaar and i think we will become more solid!! Clark is not good enough at the back, Bennett is clueless and Lowton has indifferent games!! I honestly believe that Vlaar has made our defence stronger, but he needs an experienced partner with him to make it Solid.

Disgraceful, call you're self fans, Vlar worked his ass off last night, how many times did we see him trying to gee up the players, running with the ball trying to create something, I can understand the anger and disappointment but aim it in the right direction, Vlar is not responsible for the inept displays of others, Benteke not being able to hold on to a ball, stray passes, overhit crosses, forwards not moving into space and standing together. Nzogbia running down blind alleys, Gabby not doing his job on the wing. shit taclkling.

I'm told he lost his man for their goal, I was too far away to see.

But we're clearly a better defence with him in the team. Organised and comitted. I'm very happy to see him back.

Fair play to him for coming over to the Holte and apologising afterwards too.

• Like 1

Clark is a liability at CB, push him into midfield and put baker alongside Vlaar. Dunne and Vlaar would deal much better with corners than Clark and Vlaar. Clark is a bit like Smalling, alot of potential but very immature in a footballing sense mentally.

Never understood the total wankfest over 'Concrete Ron' - just another average Villa player at best.

certainly not in the Mgrath, Mellberg, Laursen category

not even as good as Collins in my humble opinion

I don't think anyone has ever said he's even close to as good as those 3.

But he's our best defender, and regardless of his ability, he provides some leadership and some composure which none of the rest of the defence can.

he has potential, but needs a good half a season of playing every week to settle into the role.

he may be very good for us in a couple of seasons time, assuming he's still here & has 3 other decent defenders playing with him.

Vlaar played very well in the first half. Second half he was shit seemed to lose his head and forgot all the basics like the rest of the team. IMO Lambert saw a opportunity when signing Vlaar to have a fans favourite who the fans would hold in the same regard as Mellberg,Laursen and Mcgrath and would lead from the front but this hasnt worked.

Someone on the radio last night said that Vlaar gave out a real bollocking to Clark at some point. Did anyone see that? Clark was going mental towards the end. Could easily have been sent off.

yeah i saw it on the TV he went through him, think was when Bradford hit the bar

Ron Vlaar is a very good player, he just came back from an injury and he can be a bit rusy that's all. Out of all our players he is one of the best, he is a regular in the Holland-squad and his tackling is very good. When I see Villa-games on TV he is the one who always gets the most plaudits from objective commentators, guess that says something as well.

Someone on the radio last night said that Vlaar gave out a real bollocking to Clark at some point. Did anyone see that? Clark was going mental towards the end. Could easily have been sent off.

Yeah, Vlaar was very commanding, it was when they hit the bar he completely flipped out at Clark and got him back into position before telling Lowton to pass the ball to him.

Given also had to give Delph a bollocking when they had corners/freekicks because he constantly drifted and either didn't stay on the post or didn't stay with his man. I too gave him a bollocking for it also.

Â