Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Your missing the point i'm trying to make.

For the umpteenth time, i was replying to a previous poster who stated that our first choice centreback partnership would be Dunne and Vlaar. I have stated in my opinion that partnership would struggle due to lack of pace. Both might be easily turned in the Premiership. I have not said that Vlaar's distribution is poor. What i am saying is that it would be nice for a change to see a centreback partnership playing for us who have both the attributes of pace and good ball distribution. In my opinion that is the way to move us forward into a team who's main attribute in beating teams is to pass the ball through them rather than rely on hoofball.

Build our new team from the back with our back four comfortable on the ball and able to bring it out into our midfield without getting a nose bleed. I'm sick and tired of biting my nails watching us trying to hold on to a lead by retreating into our eighteen yard box because we continually lose the ball not having the type of quality to hold onto it when under pressure.

Ok. So what's your opinion on Ron Vlaar, seeing as this is a thread regarding him signing for Aston Villa? You can understand my confusion surely, because if Ron is as comfortable on the ball and as good at reading the game as we are told then he'll fit exactly what you (we all) want.

So how about being pleased with that? Or at least mildly optimistic? I dunno, just how I would (do) feel.

Would like more pace to go with him being comfortable on the ball but we'll see how he pans out?

For now i'm neither 'pleased' or 'mildly optimistic' but, maybe, hopeful that he will turn out ok?

Fair do's.

Gosh, we debate well.... Are you single?

Sadly, no.

To amplify Rev's point. Look at Gary Cahill, who was no slouch and Bolton's visits to B6 with highline that they tried to play. We put 13 goals passed them in three seasons. Cahill's pace counted for nothing against our forwards.

Some of the best centre backs in the world don't have great pace! Look how quality Laursen was for us and he was slow. He made up for the lack of pace with his positioning. If Vlaar does the same then there's no problem.

Laursen was not slow, but he did not turn well. At full speed he was pretty fast.

What excites me the most is seeing him on the OS in the Netherlands shirt as we haven't just signed a good CB but a CB that was good enough to be chosen to play for the Netherlands, that is no easy feat given that despite having a few average tournaments recently they have high standards. Now I'm not downplaying the achievements of Holman and El Ahmadi as they both get into their respective international teams, but Netherlands is pretty high up there and it shows progression and the kind of quality we are looking at I like it.

What excites me the most is seeing him on the OS in the Netherlands shirt as we haven't just signed a good CB but a CB that was good enough to be chosen to play for the Netherlands, that is no easy feat given that despite having a few average tournaments recently they have high standards. Now I'm not downplaying the achievements of Holman and El Ahmadi as they both get into their respective international teams, but Netherlands is pretty high up there and it shows progression and the kind of quality we are looking at I like it.
Makes you wonder who O'Neill could've signed, if only he was willing to look abroad from time to time. We might not have done much better than we did (given his tactics and lack of squad rotation) but at least it would've been much cheaper.

To be fair the Dutch have suffered from a real dearth of quality centrebacks in recent years, so the fact that he plays for the Netherlands senior team is irrelevant, imo.

The dutch have never been that great defensively.

The guy's Dutch, they have it ingrained into them from day one not to just boot posession away unless absolutely necessary, pretty much a fact so far as I know

they say the same about Spanish and then we signed Cuellar which proved that was a myth :P

To be fair the Dutch have suffered from a real dearth of quality centrebacks in recent years, so the fact that he plays for the Netherlands senior team is irrelevant, imo.

would agree. since Stam retired the best defender they have had was Van Bronckhorst who was a converted midfielder.

FFS Joris Mathijsen has about 80 caps!!!!!!!!!!

Soooooooooo this now means that Richard is still 100% ITK.

His info was that the club really wanted him and he would be shocked if it wasn't done.

Well done pal.

Apart from missing Holmann KEA & Lowton it's a decent record

I actually like the fact that you work all the way to half 5 on a Friday night.

Commitment.

You cannot do enough Mate

:lol:

Good answer.

i really hope Vlaar turns out to be terrific for us...

but i just can't get too excited due to the nagging feeling that if the current first choice dutch centre back (at the age of 27) was such a great defender then he'd be playing for one of Europes elite....

maybe the price reflects the ability of the player

i really hope Vlaar turns out to be terrific for us...

but i just can't get too excited due to the nagging feeling that if the current first choice dutch centre back (at the age of 27) was such a great defender then he'd be playing for one of Europes elite....

maybe the price reflects the ability of the player

The player is apparently worth 9m Euros on the open market. He isn't going to be as good as a Vidic or Kompany, but if he is another Mellberg then I will be delighted!

Â