Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

No but who do they play beside.

Both Dunne and Vlaar have no pace and thats my point!

But can they read the game? :bang:

Anyway, we don't know if Dunne is staying, do we?

The way football is being played now centrebacks need pace to deal with top forwards and thats the only way our team will gain success.

Name me these pacy centrebacks in the top premier league clubs.

so on that basis there have been no pacey forwards prior to the modern era....... quit listening to the Sky hype kiddo........ forwards have always been fast since football began - there were no quicker than the likes of Lineker, Rushy, Allen, Cottee etc.... in the 80's - believe it or not !

Laursen was slow over the first 5-10m but then his acceleration was good so over say a 40m sprint he'd catch most strikers

Thing about great defenders is their reading of the game and positioning

That's what keeps them away from sprinting after strikers

The way football is being played now centrebacks need pace to deal with top forwards and thats the only way our team will gain success.

Listen mate we are no longer competing against top teams and top forwards,we are fighting for the scraps thrown from the top 4 teams which is europa league and league cup,we should have players capable of competing with the rest of the league.

Ok so we accept getting turned over by the top six instead of bringing in defensive players who will have the attributes needed to defend against pacy forwards. A complete defeatest attitude which our previous manager had and its no wonder this club has stagnated.

This I agree with. It's your assumption that Vlaar doesn't fit that mould that has me completely baffled.

Your missing the point i'm trying to make.

For the umpteenth time, i was replying to a previous poster who stated that our first choice centreback partnership would be Dunne and Vlaar. I have stated in my opinion that partnership would struggle due to lack of pace. Both might be easily turned in the Premiership. I have not said that Vlaar's distribution is poor. What i am saying is that it would be nice for a change to see a centreback partnership playing for us who have both the attributes of pace and good ball distribution. In my opinion that is the way to move us forward into a team who's main attribute in beating teams is to pass the ball through them rather than rely on hoofball.

Build our new team from the back with our back four comfortable on the ball and able to bring it out into our midfield without getting a nose bleed. I'm sick and tired of biting my nails watching us trying to hold on to a lead by retreating into our eighteen yard box because we continually lose the ball not having the type of quality to hold onto it when under pressure.

Never seen him play. Seems like a character looking at his YouTube clips and recent mouthing off, not the best of starts ...'Vlaar'.

Tbh, we need someone with a mouth in the dressing room

Too many lambs down the villa of late

For the umpteenth time, i was replying to a previous poster who stated that our first choice centreback partnership would be Dunne and Vlaar. I have stated in my opinion that partnership would struggle due to lack of pace. Both might be easily turned in the Premiership. I have not said that Vlaar's distribution is poor. What i am saying is that it would be nice for a change to see a centreback partnership playing for us who have both the attributes of pace and good ball distribution. In my opinion that is the way to move us forward into a team who's main attribute in beating teams is to pass the ball through them rather than rely on hoofball.

Build our new team from the back with our back four comfortable on the ball and able to bring it out into our midfield without getting a nose bleed. I'm sick and tired of biting my nails watching us trying to hold on to a lead by retreating into our eighteen yard box because we continually lose the ball not having the type of quality to hold onto it when under pressure.

Ok. So what's your opinion on Ron Vlaar, seeing as this is a thread regarding him signing for Aston Villa? You can understand my confusion surely, because if Ron is as comfortable on the ball and as good at reading the game as we are told then he'll fit exactly what you (we all) want.

So how about being pleased with that? Or at least mildly optimistic? I dunno, just how I would (do) feel.

Listen mate we are no longer competing against top teams and top forwards,we are fighting for the scraps thrown from the top 4 teams which is europa league and league cup,we should have players capable of competing with the rest of the league.

Ok so we accept getting turned over by the top six instead of bringing in defensive players who will have the attributes needed to defend against pacy forwards. A complete defeatest attitude which our previous manager had and its no wonder this club has stagnated.

This I agree with. It's your assumption that Vlaar doesn't fit that mould that has me completely baffled.

This is exactly what we have been doing in pre-season. Im sure that Lambert wants us to play this way. Vlaar is very comfortable on the ball, he is no gabby but he's not slow by any stretch.

Ok. So what's your opinion on Ron Vlaar, seeing as this is a thread regarding him signing for Aston Villa? You can understand my confusion surely, because if Ron is as comfortable on the ball and as good at reading the game as we are told then he'll fit exactly what you (we all) want.

So how about being pleased with that? Or at least mildly optimistic? I dunno, just how I would (do) feel.

Would like more pace to go with him being comfortable on the ball but we'll see how he pans out?

For now i'm neither 'pleased' or 'mildly optimistic' but, maybe, hopeful that he will turn out ok?

From what I've heard from all the Feyenoord fans and people who have watched him, they rate him very highly and are gutted to see him leaving Feyenoord, that can only be a good sign surely?!

From what I've heard from all the Feyenoord fans and people who have watched him, they rate him very highly and are gutted to see him leaving Feyenoord, that can only be a good sign surely?!

Shhhh....you'll upset the people that can't see past an alleged lack of pace

Just got done with a meeting with the guy that owns stanno uniform company. Dutch fella. Erwin. He said fwiw that vlaar was in his opinion slow and positionally not great. He also said kea was a very technical' skilful player. Just passing on the opinion of somebody who appeared to know what he was talking about.

I don't get why everyone is saying "Vlaar is slow" So what. Do you really need blistering pace as a centre back? I think with a centre back it's all about positioning and less about pace. I trust Lambert 100%. So if we sign Vlaar then i trust he knows what he wants/doing.

Â