Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

but i just can't get too excited due to the nagging feeling that if the current first choice dutch centre back (at the age of 27) was such a great defender then he'd be playing for one of Europes elite....

he is 3rd choice for holland

Zatman, we get it your not impressed with this signing, but he isn't 3rd choice for Holland, the bottom line was the manager hadn't a clue what he was doing for the defence. Look what Germany did to Terry and Upson in the World Cup, did anyone start stating Terry was shit? You are judging Vlaar not on his performances for Feyenoord, where fans and journalists praise him, you are judging him against where he was asked to do a job on Ronaldo. Give the guy a chance, he's been purchased for half of what we paid for Dunne? Compare his fee to what we paid for Curtis Davies.

he is 3rd choice for Holland. mathijsen was injured for 1st game so he came in vs Denmark then Heitinga was suspended for last game so he replaced him.

He is an average player and comparing him to Laursen is miles off. Laursen played for Milan and only didnt play as he was behing legends like Maldini, Stam and Nesta along with Cannavaro the best defenders of their generation

Due to an inept manager, whose tactics were all wrong, how did RVP do in that side, Sneider, Robben? A bunch of individuals was all that team was about, I'd rather judge him on his Feyenoord performances rather than the the two games you watched him in.

On what basis are you judging him as an average player?

He's not an average player. A big club like Feyenoord dont make average players their captain and Holland don't usually call average players up to represent their country.

The comparisons to Laursen are fair enough. He's a similar character, physically similar and in fact, a better footballer than Laursen too.

It remains to be seen if he's as good in this league but I see no reason to think he'll be much different and like Laursen we've got him for an absolute bargain.

He has less than 10 caps in 7 years for Holland

To be fair, he was injured for pretty much 2 entire seasons and only played 50 career games in the 3 years before that. He's basically only been a regular starter for 3 years, so you're not going to get 50+ caps like that.

an inept manager who got them to World Cup final a few years ago and lost cause of Robben bottle.

Sorry, but they hit that final by playing hard, iconically reflected by the Boateng sending off in the final for his Bruce Lee like kick.

This Euro was once again haggered by infighting, and they were certainly a disapointment, even lost to the germans (something the Dutch hate).

No disrespect to anyone intended, and appreciate that we are all entitled to our varying viewpoints, but the general viewpoit from my dutch colleagues and friends is that Bert is not the man for the job considering the players he has at his disposal. Failed at Dortmund, and just look what they achieved since Klopp took over.

Fact is that Vlaar has been captaining a Feyernoord side who have had a couple of good seasons since Koeman came in.

an inept manager who got them to World Cup final a few years ago and lost cause of Robben bottle.

Sorry, but they hit that final by playing hard, iconically reflected by the Boateng sending off in the final for his Bruce Lee like kick.

This Euro was once again haggered by infighting, and they were certainly a disapointment, even lost to the germans (something the Dutch hate).

No disrespect to anyone intended, and appreciate that we are all entitled to our varying viewpoints, but the general viewpoit from my dutch colleagues and friends is that Bert is not the man for the job considering the players he has at his disposal. Failed at Dortmund, and just look what they achieved since Klopp took over.

Fact is that Vlaar has been captaining a Feyernoord side who have had a couple of good seasons since Koeman came in.

Wow was there no one else available to play in CM? They should have played De Jong!!! :winkold:

So, when's this medical supposed to happen? I won't welcome him before the medical's done. We've missed out on players because of that before, and he's had a knee injury.

Â