Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

If you need to chase someone you have already made the mistake of letting them past you. Good positioning eliminates the need to chase and thus the need to be fast. If Vlaar can position well he could be slower than Dunne after a few kebabs, he'd still be better than him though.

The Feyenoord fan earlier mentioned that Vlaar does lots of short passes (thankgod). Somebody on twitter has just posted this stat:

Of Players to attempt atleast 100 passes at Euro 2012, only 5 players had a better pass success rate than Ron Vlaar's 93.4% success rate.

It doesnt say which players, but it doesnt really matter. A 93% pass success rate vs Collins 2% hoof-success rate. Easy choice.

I think he's more of a limited passer, give it to the guy next to/infront of him. He's just able to successfully pass. Still think Clark would be the more mobile defender to take the ball forwards but having 2 defenders who know how to pass can only be good.

So Vlaar will be our classy ball-playing CB?

He is more of a stopper as I understand it, hopefully he can emulate Laursen or Mellberg.

Also because I have not been paying attention to every aspect of this deal, am I missing something with the fee? For some reason I thought he was costing us about £6-7m, and now we are paying £3.2m? Was it just the lower fee all along and I have been reading speculation from unreliable sources?

Your missing the point i'm trying to make.

For the umpteenth time, i was replying to a previous poster who stated that our first choice centreback partnership would be Dunne and Vlaar. I have stated in my opinion that partnership would struggle due to lack of pace. Both might be easily turned in the Premiership. I have not said that Vlaar's distribution is poor. What i am saying is that it would be nice for a change to see a centreback partnership playing for us who have both the attributes of pace and good ball distribution. In my opinion that is the way to move us forward into a team who's main attribute in beating teams is to pass the ball through them rather than rely on hoofball.

Build our new team from the back with our back four comfortable on the ball and able to bring it out into our midfield without getting a nose bleed. I'm sick and tired of biting my nails watching us trying to hold on to a lead by retreating into our eighteen yard box because we continually lose the ball not having the type of quality to hold onto it when under pressure.

Ok. So what's your opinion on Ron Vlaar, seeing as this is a thread regarding him signing for Aston Villa? You can understand my confusion surely, because if Ron is as comfortable on the ball and as good at reading the game as we are told then he'll fit exactly what you (we all) want.

So how about being pleased with that? Or at least mildly optimistic? I dunno, just how I would (do) feel.

Would like more pace to go with him being comfortable on the ball but we'll see how he pans out?

For now i'm neither 'pleased' or 'mildly optimistic' but, maybe, hopeful that he will turn out ok?

Fair do's.

Gosh, we debate well.... Are you single?

I thought he was costing us about £6-7m, and now we are paying £3.2m? Was it just the lower fee all along and I have been reading speculation from unreliable sources?
In the thread that was locked, "Feyenoord" told us on 16 July Vlaar had a break clause in his contract saying he could go for €4m (= c£3.2m). Haven't seen the £6-7m estimate but it might have been wishful thinking from his club.

On that other debate, FFS when was pace EVER the prime requirement for a CB?

If you play a high line then having pace can be an invaluable asset, and even then a fast defender will almost always lose a race against a fast striker because the defender will have to turn around and get up to full speed from a standing start against the striker who is already running.

I dont think we will play a high line so its a purely academic debate anyway.

If you play a high line then having pace can be an invaluable asset, and even then a fast defender will almost always lose a race against a fast striker because the defender will have to turn around and get up to full speed from a standing start against the striker who is already running.

I genuinely have no idea what kind of line we will play. How has it looked pre-season?

Totally agree, if you play a high line then you better have pace to burn otherwise you will get caught out. With the pace of forwards today this would be a mistake imo to play this way, play to your strength not the opposition's.

This doesn't mean sitting on the edge of our box either but again imo to play this way properly the centre backs have to be comfortable on the ball and able to pass/move the ball. Coming from Dutch football I would expect RV to be that type of player, Dunne has also always struck me as a ball playing CB sometimes maybe that will work however with both Clarke and Baker also pushing for the 1st team I'm really hopeful of at last seeing the back of the Dunne/Collins crap.

FWIW I still think we need to replace Given, brilliant shot stopper but doesn't command his area hence a big weakness from set pieces and corners.

Big WELCOME from me to Ronny Vlaar

I genuinely have no idea what kind of line we will play. How has it looked pre-season?

I havent seen any of it, but Norwich didnt play a particularly high line last year and we dont have the players in our squad to pull it off effectively either. You need to be able to dominate possession and have pace at the back in every position or it is counter productive. Just look at AVB and Chelsea last season.

Some of the best centre backs in the world don't have great pace! Look how quality Laursen was for us and he was slow. He made up for the lack of pace with his positioning. If Vlaar does the same then there's no problem.

Â