Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Meh . . . don't really want him to stay through January unless he's prepared to sign an extension (which he obviously isn't, or at least it seems obvious to me). 

If he does not sign at least an 18 month contract in January, I think he should be sold.

We can now manage without him and should not keep him to go on a free in the summer.

• Like 2

Meh . . . don't really want him to stay through January unless he's prepared to sign an extension (which he obviously isn't, or at least it seems obvious to me).

If he does not sign at least an 18 month contract in January, I think he should be sold.

We can now manage without him and should not keep him to go on a free in the summer.

Very good player when fit but if he doesn't wanna stay. Jog on

• Like 1

I'd take the captaincy off him to be honest. 

He was never a particularly good captain. Too quiet, not commanding. If Senderos was fit, I think Vlaar would have lost the captaincy already.

Why would we look to keep him for the whole season then lose him for free? Our other defenders have already proven that we don't need Vlaar. He is a luxury player at this point. We might as well get some transfer fee for him. Chances are he will play a few matches then get injured for a month or two anyway. 

100% agree with this.

I also hope that when we go back to 2 CB that he is the one dropped.

Maybe I see captaincy a bit different from you guys, but I don't think you change it so easily. Vlaar hasn't done anything wrong, so he should keep it.

100% agree with this.

I also hope that when we go back to 2 CB that he is the one dropped.

Maybe I see captaincy a bit different from you guys, but I don't think you change it so easily. Vlaar hasn't done anything wrong, so he should keep it.
He shouldn't be playing if we play a back 4.

Why stop the development of any of okore, Clark and baker for a player who doesn't want to be here?

Edited by DCJonah

I don't disagree with that DC, but I don't see PL dropping Vlaar unless he performs poorly. And if he plays, I think he should remain captain for the sake of stability. That's important too.

The reason why I originally said I'd drop him as captain is because he is planning on leaving at the end of the season, which his prerogative, however I don't think having a player as captain with one foot out of the door is anymore stable than keeping him as captain so as to not disrupt the rest of the squad.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

To take the captaincy off him would only portray us as petty & small time. He was given the role on merit & if he wasn't leaving then nobody would be suggesting him loosing it. We have a squad of players who will be with us until the end of the season, barring a shock move for one or two in January. We should cross next seasons bridges when we come to them. Why humiliate Vlaar by stripping him of the captaincy? It is akin to the fat boy in the school playground who takes his ball away because nobody will pass to him. Not only would it show us in a very poor light but it would also have a counter productive effect on Vlaar.

Ideally he'll leave in Jan which would net us a few coffers. The chances are though that he'll stay until the summer. Changing the captain for the sake of 4.5 months for no other reason than he's off at the end of the season is 2 bob.

I don't understand everyone's hate of Vlaar. People easily forget how solid and instrumental he was in the past for us and clearly a fans favourite. Just because he is now interested in joining a better club to end his career on, enhancing his chance to win something and earn a much better wage I can't see what's wrong with that. If someone offered me a better job with more wages I wouldn't turn it down, and I've got a lot more working years ahead of me than Vlaar has footballing!

I don't understand everyone's hate of Vlaar. People easily forget how solid and instrumental he was in the past for us and clearly a fans favourite. Just because he is now interested in joining a better club to end his career on, enhancing his chance to win something and earn a much better wage I can't see what's wrong with that. If someone offered me a better job with more wages I wouldn't turn it down, and I've got a lot more working years ahead of me than Vlaar has footballing!

It does seem a bit petty. We don't know what kind of offer we've given him, he's always given 100% for us and will do if he stays. Its all good saying drop him, strip him of the captaincy and sell him when you need someone to actually bid for him, he's still probably our best centre half and our injury record is so bad we will need him anyway. People need to get a grip, we get pissed off when players want to leave mid-contract and then pissed off when they fulfil their contract and leave as well.

Not sure anybody is getting pissed off with him. He is more than welcome to see out his deal and find a better one elsewhere. I'm a big fan of Ron but I don't think he is a particularly good captain and I also don't think he should be allowed to retain it if he has told the club he is off at the end of the season.

Â