Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Hoping the delay is only down to them figuring out how long to make his new contract for

He's 29 at the moment so should easily have another 3-4 years (injury permitting)

3 years with an option or a clause like playing 20 games for a 4th year would suit everybody

We need to get the contract to him asap we need to know vlaars intent is he staying or is he going. Just act proffesional villa if hes leaving lets get a replacement identified so it can be dont quickly in summet. Im sick of villa leaving things to last minute if he signs obviously he stays if he dont then move on. Its silly to think villa are waiting tell me what are you waiting for aston villa.

Edited by villan501

I don't think he'll sign one. 

I don't know what will happen, but it's not like him signing a new contract will mean that a bigger club won't be able to come in and buy him later.

It would screw up his bargaining position though. If he moves on a free next year he could make a lot of money. 

I don't think he will sign until the takeover is done. Its risky for any player to sign a new deal when a new owner could come in and sack the manager or if one doesn't happen and Lerner doesn't invest next season he may not want another season battling relegation.

If the Cleverley thing is anything to go by, we're not safe yet..

For Vlarr to go, another club would have to agree with Villa and a Vlarr over a fee & personal terms and get all the paperwork sorted, Thats achievable.

Going back in time and getting the forms faxed to the premier League before 11pm last night might be trickier :)

Our deal with Cleverly was only approved because the majority of the paperwork, and most importantly the forms required by the Premier League, were already faxed over by the deadline.

Edited by Ghost_of_Pongo_Waring

I expect that Vlaar, like Mellberg, will leave on a free at the season's end. He'll likely get a nice payday and find a team with Champions League football.

That seems the most logical outcome to me as well.

The only thing likely to change that is if we are taken over and look like showing ambition. He might want to stick around and be a part of it.

Just to mention something I noticed when I saw he had tweeted congratulations to Delph on last night.

Whereas last season he ended every Villa related tweet with #UTV or suchlike. He seems to have stopped since the end of last season. Is this a sign of him edging away from Villa?

I don't think he will sign either. When it gets to this stage of a contract, and with the club and managers position very much in limbo, why would he sign a new contract? This will be his last chance at a nice big contract so He will wait and see what happens, and I imagine his agent has already been contacted by numerous clubs throughout Europe looking to get him on a free next summer. I know this is not supposed to happen, but you have o be very naive if you think it doesn't.

Â