Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Head in the sand babble - well I must have been doing that for 52 years then and all through the shit times when we were broke and down in Div 3 and after we got relegated after winning the League and European Cup.

'Better fan' lists the years he has followed the club to prove something cliché.

Whats populist about it? Instead of reacting to twitter gossip and rumour there's points made which people agree with. It seems more populist to be anti the club and to believe everything negative yet write off anything remotely positive.

Ok,

Firstly, Benteke handed in an actual transfer request so people were well within their rights to moan about it at the time. What Naz is doing is just making a petty swipe in hindsight as if there were any people at the time that foresaw the u-turn with that situation. Nine times out of ten, when a player hands in a transfer request, they leave. So there was nothing "OTT" about the backlash after he did that.

IF we sell Vlaar it will because he wants to go and we have received an offer that's good for the club.

Not quite and this is what I don't get. If Vlaar doesn't accept a new contract, then we actually have very few cards to play in that situation. Unless we are happy to potentially lose him for nothing, then there won't be any firm stance over our valuation. Naz describes the idea that Lerner will want to cash in on Vlaar in this scenario as "crap" but it is a completely conceivable given our situation.

I have no time for 'better fan than you' posts with the mentality that you are only a good fan if you expect the most optimistic outcome in any situation regarding this club and the above from Naz definitely qualifies as such.

Absolutely spot on.

I don't know if Vlaar will leave or not, but I can't see the problem in discussing it, as it's clearly a possibility.  In previous years we've seen the likes of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing say that they want to stay, only to leave shortly after, so it's not exactly an unusual situation.

Lambert has said that Vlaar is not for sale, and good on him for doing so.  The reality of the situation though, is that if Vlaar wants to go, there's not much that Lambert could realistically do to stop him.  And that's not having a pop at Lambert at all, we all know that players carry most of the power these days, and the same is true at most clubs.  I just hope that Lambert has considered it as a possibility and would have replacements lined up.  Imagine the horror of going into a season with the recently back from serious injury Okore, Clark, Baker and Senderos.  Yikes.

• Like 1

Id be worried about his mindset if he went to Southampton. a club in an even worse state than Villa

Depends how they spend all the money they received. They've definitely become a victim of their own success.

I cannot think of another team so specactually dismantled in the space of 2 months? 

Koeman will be under such pressure to spend wisely and also produce immediate results with a team that has had it heart ripped out? Vlaar has to remember that this is probably his last move as I can't see his knees lasting much longer than when he is 33-34yo. He needs to make his next contract a rewarding one?

Id be worried about his mindset if he went to Southampton. a club in an even worse state than Villa

Depends how they spend all the money they received. They've definitely become a victim of their own success.

And the media jizz fest.

You just have to think of it from his point of view. He's had a number of years in club in turmoil - whats keeping him here?

He has young children. Regardless of if its 'only Southampton' if they are prepared to give him a bumper contract for four years...

I know what I would do.

You just have to think of it from his point of view. He's had a number of years in club in turmoil - whats keeping him here?

He has young children. Regardless of if its 'only Southampton' if they are prepared to give him a bumper contract for four years...

I know what I would do.

And if we match what they offer him? (Which I think we should within reason). I assumes his family are settled in he Midlands area by now. Maybe that could be a factor.

I know what I would do.

And if we match what they offer him? (Which I think we should within reason). I assumes his family are settled in he Midlands area by now. Maybe that could be a factor.

I agree.  If we match what they offer (assuming they do), then I think he'd be better staying here. 

Saints are sort of doing something similar to what we did a few years back, however on a much larger scale. We sold all our best players (admittedly most of them wanted to go) and look where we are now.

I really do fear for them - depending on how they spend there money. I think it would most certainly be a sideways move for Vlaar if he chose them. If he did choose them, i say we milk them for the 80m profit they've received so far from their sales. 

20m for Ron should do fine Southampton, fork up bitches. 

I agree, if its only Southampton that are in for him.  Why would he want to uproot here? With a team he knows, a team he's used to. To go to another team that is probably going to have a bunch of new players that don't know anyone?

Also, if Vlaar stays another season and runs down his contract here, he can command a much higher wage next year, as he'll be available on a free. When teams don't have to pay £6-8m for a player, they're happy to pay another £2m or so out over the course of 3-4 years in a better contract offer. 

I can't see him signing a new contract here unless things change, but I can't see him jumping ship unless a proper upwards move came along. I'm not sure Southampton, given what's happened to them this summer, are enough of a temptation. 

Are people actually saying Southampton are in a worse state than us? Really?

They just sold a ton of players for 20m+ and they will reinvest that, how many of our squad could we sell for 20m? Benteke, that is it. 

Sorry but if he left for Southampton I wouldn't blame him one bit, risky yes but there is a chance they could end up doing very well. We are heading one way, it just depends on how quickly we end up there.

Â