Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I would agree that Vlaar's value has rocketed, tempered only by his 1 year outstanding contract.

Three views:

1) Lambert gave him his chance and persevered when he looked a bit dodgy, Ron owes him and with a new 3 year bumper deal is promised the Captaincy, 1st team football and is in pole position when (ahem!) a new billionaire owner buys the club in December and we become a top 6 team again.

2) Man Utd and Van Gaal offer him £75K p.w. as a squad player and he bites their hand off (who wouldn't?). We get £14m

3) Southampton offer similar money and we get £15m+ because we don't have to sell.

I don't mind if he goes as long as we get a decent fee and we get to replace him as well. Caulker wouldn't be a and replacement.. has he signed else where yet? As long as we don't cash in on him and rely on Senderos and Okore or we are gone.

• Like 1

Vlaar isn't worth £10-15m on the market, far from it,

I don't know what market you're referring to but the one I'm thinking of Phil Jones was £20m, Smalling was £12m, Lovren is £20m and Luiz is £42m. If united are interested it will cost them a United sized fee.

Well, the market of football players. If I put it like this: I don't think many clubs are prepared to pay us that much money for his services, especially when he's on a free next summer, as it is now. But, if we were to sell him I hope that we hold out for that kind of fee like we've done before when we've sold players we've wanted to keep. Would be surprised if we got that much for him, unless united comes in for him. They might pay it.

Jones and Smalling are two of those overvalued english players, Luiz scores goals. I agree that if it was as easy as that Vlaar would be worth the same money as Luiz, but Vlaar plays for us and Holland and doesn't score that many goals. Luiz plays for Brazil and chelsea and is wanted by a club that can't wait to throw away their money on high profile players. I don't say this is rational and logic, but I do believe it's true in this very twisted world of football.

I don't think many clubs are prepared to pay us that much money for his services,

We don't need many clubs to pay, just one. Most transfers that happen don't have loads of clubs offering the same fee.

Jones and Smalling are two of those overvalued english players,

What about Fellaini? And Nani and Anderson? United pay over the odds all the time.

Luiz scores goals. I agree that if it was as easy as that Vlaar would be worth the same money as Luiz, but Vlaar plays for us and Holland and doesn't score that many goals. Luiz plays for Brazil and chelsea and is wanted by a club that can't wait to throw away their money on high profile players. 

We're not talking about Vlaar being worth £40m. You said he's "far from" even being worth £10m on the market. How far exactly? Is he worth £5m? £3m?

I don't think many clubs are prepared to pay us that much money for his services,

We don't need many clubs to pay, just one. Most transfers that happen don't have loads of clubs offering the same fee.

Jones and Smalling are two of those overvalued english players,

What about Fellaini? And Nani and Anderson? United pay over the odds all the time.

Luiz scores goals. I agree that if it was as easy as that Vlaar would be worth the same money as Luiz, but Vlaar plays for us and Holland and doesn't score that many goals. Luiz plays for Brazil and chelsea and is wanted by a club that can't wait to throw away their money on high profile players. 

We're not talking about Vlaar being worth £40m. You said he's "far from" even being worth £10m on the market. How far exactly? Is he worth £5m? £3m?

Ok. far from it might be stretching it, but about £5-6m, I'd guess. And yes, united if they want him will probably/hopefully pay over the odds. Never said they wouldn't.

Look, we see a very important player to us who had a great WC. Other clubs probably see a decent player for us who happened to have a good WC. Of course the value of a player will go up with a world cup, especially among fans. Maybe not as much for those who works with it who knows that a good World Cup isn't the best way to measure a player who plays about 3-8 games for his country doing his best for that country. It's not the same as being that good week in week out for a foreign club in an ordinary season.

Look, I rate Vlaar highly and think he's very important to us, but I also think that we as Villa fans tend to over estimate him and his value. Especially under these circumstances.

• Like 1

Look, I rate Vlaar highly and think he's very important to us, but I also think that we as Villa fans tend to over estimate him and his value. Especially under these circumstances.

His value is whatever it is to us right now - not a transfer comparison of all deals that have previously happened.  Would we be able to get as good a defender as Ron Vlaar for £5/6m?

You ever know, we got Vlaar for less, but I highly doubt it. And that's why I don't want to sell him for anything near that. But I just doubt we'll get that. And if we don't, I hope we keep him.

I think for his age and ability a fee of 8-12 mil is not outrageous based on the length of his contract. If he had 2-3 years left then more like 16 mil.

If he leaves then hopefully its for a top 4 club, I think he has too much integrity to leave for a club like Southampton or QPR.

The thing that worries me is Lerner is looking at losing fortune when he does sell the club so if someone else at another club realises a cheeky £5m bid may be too tempting for Lerner to stick in his back pocket whilst he tells Lambo 'you've had your repalcement in Senderos'.

Vlaar is only ever a £5m to £6m defender anyway good WC or not. Look at some of the Costa Rica players who were playing in leagues like the Mexian second division, does their decent WC performance make them worth £10m? No way Pedro!

I would agree that Vlaar's value has rocketed, tempered only by his 1 year outstanding contract.

Three views:

1) Lambert gave him his chance and persevered when he looked a bit dodgy, Ron owes him and with a new 3 year bumper deal is promised the Captaincy, 1st team football and is in pole position when (ahem!) a new billionaire owner buys the club in December and we become a top 6 team again.

2) Man Utd and Van Gaal offer him £75K p.w. as a squad player and he bites their hand off (who wouldn't?). We get £14m

3) Southampton offer similar money and we get £15m+ because we don't have to sell.

Absolutely no chance of us getting those kind of sums. £6-£8m I would think. I would sell at anything much above £7m so long as we could have those funds to reinvest on a replacement. We should have got Lescott of course, but we couldn't because of **** Lerner. 

Look, we see a very important player to us who had a great WC. Other clubs probably see a decent player for us who happened to have a good WC.

I'd agree that other clubs' fans who only have MOTD to go by might see him as that,  since SSN have started using the clip of him scorching Hazard I've already been informed how fast he is by two different Man U fans. In contrast to them, I would assume the people in charge of spending 8 figure sums (except at QPR) would have done enough research to know a bid of £5m would be a waste of everyone's time.

When was the last time any PL club sold a first team player to another close in size for £5m? Much less their captain and best defender, just coming into his prime and in the best form of his career.

Look, we see a very important player to us who had a great WC. Other clubs probably see a decent player for us who happened to have a good WC.

I'd agree that other clubs' fans who only have MOTD to go by might see him as that,  since SSN have started using the clip of him scorching Hazard I've already been informed how fast he is by two different Man U fans. In contrast to them, I would assume the people in charge of spending 8 figure sums (except at QPR) would have done enough research to know a bid of £5m would be a waste of everyone's time.

When was the last time any PL club sold a first team player to another close in size for £5m? Much less their captain and best defender, just coming into his prime and in the best form of his career.

And that's why I don't want us to sell him. :) As I stated first, he's worth more to us than what I believe other clubs thinks.

£14-15m? Behave!

If I were Lambert that's exactly how much I'd be asking for him on the back of the World Cup he's had. Do I think he's worth it? Nope not a chance. But I'd rather he left on a free next season TBH rather than sell him for £6m. However, i'm sure Lerner has a differing opinion. 

Edited by PieFacE

Â