Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Both Dunne and Collins have had better 2-year periods at Villa than Vlaar. Dunne also got into the team of the season. Them two had a season inwhich Villa allowed less than a goal per game on average. Ron was great in the world cup, but nowhere near that at Villa yet. 

Dunne and Collins had one good season (2009/10).

Yes well Dunne and Collins played in teams that were overall much better than we have now. Vlaar just needs more quality around him (which he wont get here).

Both Dunne and Collins have had better 2-year periods at Villa than Vlaar. Dunne also got into the team of the season. Them two had a season inwhich Villa allowed less than a goal per game on average. Ron was great in the world cup, but nowhere near that at Villa yet. 

Which one was Vlaar's good season?

Which one was Vlaar's good season?

The last two IMO.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Dunne and Collins was very good players at Villa. but in their time, all back four were decent.

and last two seasons, our back four was just terrible except Vlaar.

I don't say that Vlaar is better, just think comparison is unfair.

Edited by uptoyou
  • Like 1

Dunne and Collins also had a MUCH better midfield and full backs supporting them too. 

Really? The awesome full backs that Cuellar and Warnock were?

Yes the ones that cost the club 16million respectively.

What does the price have to do with it? 

Anyway, I'm sure the same people who think Vlaar is better than Dunne and Collins were will also say they'd prefer Bacuna, Lowton, Bannett and Bertrand over Cuellar and Warnock. Then claim Vlaar didn't have enough support  :(

and Vlaar hasn't even had that yet to be fair

• Like 2

Dunne and Collins also had a MUCH better midfield and full backs supporting them too. 

Exactly this.

Dunne and Collins had a midfield in front of them capable of taking the pressure off the defence. When you have Milner, Downing, Young, Petrov and even Reo Coker in front of you at various points, it doesn't half make your job easier.

Really? The awesome full backs that Cuellar and Warnock were?

Yes the ones that cost the club 16million respectively.

What does the price have to do with it? 

Anyway, I'm sure the same people who think Vlaar is better than Dunne and Collins were will also say they'd prefer Bacuna, Lowton, Bannett and Bertrand over Cuellar and Warnock. Then claim Vlaar didn't have enough support  :(

At the time we purchased Warnock, he was in the England reckoning, Cuellar was a solid player hence we paid his release clause. Vlaar is better than Dunne and Collins, but he plays in a worse side. Lets not forget the Dunne and Collins you keep going on about, were part of the side that conceded 7 at Chelsea.

At the time we purchased Warnock, he was in the England reckoning, Cuellar was a solid player hence we paid his release clause. Vlaar is better than Dunne and Collins, but he plays in a worse side. Lets not forget the Dunne and Collins you keep going on about, were part of the side that conceded 7 at Chelsea.

Unlikely that referring to that 09/10 season will back-up your point, tbh. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

I quite liked James Collins in our defence but Richard Dunne?  Really?  It's Vlaar every single day of the week - irrespective of whether or not he's ever had a particularly good season with us.

His world cup performances have been excellent but I've seen dunne play much better in a villa shirt than Vlaar. I guess that doesn't make him a better player but it kind of adds to the debate.

Really? I'm not sure I did. I say Dunne play in a far far better side than Vlaar and therefore play in very different circumstances but I don't think I saw anything from Dunne to make me think he was a better player than Vlaar. In fact I think I saw far more mistakes from Dunne than Vlaar.

Of course its different circumstances but I thought dunne was excellent that year. A lot of professionals agree as he was voted into the premier league team of the year. I think vlaar has been superb in Brazil and it would be nice to see him in a decent villa side to see what he could potentially do in the premier league. So far though I stand by my opinion that I've not seen vlaar perform as well in a villa shirt

I quite liked James Collins in our defence but Richard Dunne? Really? It's Vlaar every single day of the week - irrespective of whether or not he's ever had a particularly good season with us.

Why would that be irrespective?

• Like 2

Personally I thought Dunne was a very important player for us and was the key to our best defence for many years. That said Vlaar has been playing with two CB partners who wouldn't have even got in the squad in 2010 and an array of fullbacks that don't seem to want to be fullbacks, not to mention a very lightweight midfield who most of the time didn't provide much cover at all. Even just adding Milner into our midfield now would make a world of difference to the difficulty of Vlaar's job.

As a direct comparison I'd say they were equally brickshithouse-esque, both deceptively quick, both very good at making challenges and clearing headers but I think Vlaar is a lot better in possession and seems to make less mistakes (although that may be down to everyone around him going all out to make the mistakes first).

Roma are being linked with him.... 

Aston Villa defender Ron Vlaar has earned himself a place on Roma's transfer wishlist with his heroic World Cup performances for Holland.

The Dutchman enjoyed a stellar tournament in Brazil until he missed a crucial penalty in the shoot-out semi-final defeat to Argentina.

Vlaar picked up a number of defensive records during the tournament including most clearances with 29 and that has caught the attention of the La Liga side.

Roma have already enjoyed a busy summer signing Ashley Cole from Chelsea and former Fulham man Urby Emanuelson and they are now interested in the former Feyenoord man.

The 29-year is entering the final year of his Villa contract and has a market value of around £5m

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/blow-aston-villa-defender-set-exit-door-140714101621#OmiwrExhyxqRTT0w.99

Gold star for whoever spots the fault in this article first. :lol:

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Â