Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

If a CL team come in for him with a big pay rise to boot it would be difficult for him to refuse.

It won't even take a Champions League team.

Yep. A Southampton or Stoke could offer what we don't. How sickening.

If a CL team come in for him with a big pay rise to boot it would be difficult for him to refuse.

Southampton are the team I'd consider the most likely to sign him. The signings of Tadić and Pellé suggests it will be quite a predictable transfer policy from Koeman with him going for players he knows well. With them in need of leaders also, I think he'd be an obvious candidate to replace Lovren.

• Like 1

Southampton are the team I'd consider the most likely to sign him. The signings of Tadić and Pellé suggests it will be quite a predictable transfer policy from Koeman with him going for players he knows well. With them in need of leaders also, I think he'd be an obvious candidate to replace Lovren.

Yep, completely agree.

• Like 1

Been seriously good some of these games, outdone a lot of the stuff we have seen from him earlier as well. Hope we keep a hold off him because it could be the difference of staying up or going down. Would not blame him if he left to be honest.

He strikes me as the kind of chap who'll pop into Paul's office and ask if he can leave politely, and if Paul explains we really need him to stay with a one year extension and sell him next summer he'll probably be alright with it.

Can't see this being a publicly drawn out thing at all

• Like 2

It has become clear that he is best suited in the middle of a centre three. He cleans up, tracks and does the dirty work. The other two centre backs perform as usual either holding a zone or marking.

He's like a sort of modern day sweeper but built like a brick shithouse. Stick him in between Senderos and Okore, could work out well.

Okay, I'll choose my words carefully after the previous comments were taken to mean I thought Vlaar was rubbish, which isn't the case.

He certainly has had a good WC, I also agree with Stewart Robinson that he looks quicker than he ever has for us and I also agree that with better players around him he has played better than he has for Villa.

Which means...............nothing for us I'm afraid as we can't afford better players to make Vlaar a better player. My opinion of him hasn't been altered by a good WC I think he's at best good on his day otherwise his form for Villa has been average to poor.

However he is by far our best defender as the rest (not including Okore or any of the youth players whom I've yet to see enough of) are bloody awful, do I want him to leave? Yes and no, rather than let his contract expire and get nothing I would take 10m every day of the week for him however if a club offered 5m I would rather him stay for the season. That said I would prefer him to sign a new contract and stay.

Obviously it would be best if we could get him to sign a new deal, but after the tournament he's had that ship has sailed. It's about maximising what we get for him at this point, and ensuring that we actually replace him with a quality CB, not just relying on the leftovers and hoping they'll be good enough. 

Interesting that Lambert has previously tried this 5-3-2-esque formation and Vlaar has completely revelled in it at the World Cup.

Deliberate ploy from Lambert to suit Vlaar?  Okore is a quick player as well so, in theory, he's looking for a quick back 3 with players that are comfortable on the ball.  Okore/Vlaar/Clark?

• Like 2

If we have to do 5-3-2 (and I don't like it), then Clark-Vlaar-Okore left-to-right would be the best group of personnel. Senderos shouldn't be starting unless there are injuries. 

edit: This was in agreement with bobzy, despite my laziness in not actually quoting him. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

He strikes me as the kind of chap who'll pop into Paul's office and ask if he can leave politely, and if Paul explains we really need him to stay with a one year extension and sell him next summer he'll probably be alright with it.

Can't see this being a publicly drawn out thing at all

Can't see it, it'd be an incredibly foolish move. He's 29, his stock has never been higher than it is now after that World Cup, this is his best chance at a big move. A season in the Villa team will quickly knock his reputation back down.

If we have to do 5-3-2 (and I don't like it), then Clark-Vlaar-Okore left-to-right would be the best group of personnel. Senderos shouldn't be starting unless there are injuries. 

edit: This was in agreement with bobzy, despite my laziness in not actually quoting him. 

Agree on all accounts - especially the part about not liking it!

Â