Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Of course it'll be typical Villa luck to lose him now against West Ham just as they get Carroll back, It'll also be typical if Carroll gets his red card rescinded (It is West Ham After all and the Trevor Brooking influenced FA always seem to slip them a few favours... Olympic Stadium anyone?)

Frankly this is the 4 game run we need to grab at least 7 points from however with Vlaar out we'll be looking at maybe 2 pts sadly if the rest of the season is anything to go by.

For me our 3 most important players are Gabby, Vlaar and Benteke. With those three fit and firing we do well, lose one of them we struggle, as it stands we are without two of them in Vlaar and Gabby which = desperation times. Vlaar is the equivalent of 70% of our defence whilst Gabby is about 70% of our counter attacking threat... Remove both and i fear for us against any team.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

And people believe Lambert chose not to buy in Jan. Like any manager in the world wouldn't want cover for such an important player who suffers with fitness issues.

We have 3 young and promising CBs in Clark, Baker and Okore (I haven't seen anything from Donacien yet) so it makes sense not to buy another CB.

However it would have been a good idea to try to get an experienced one on loan until the end of the season toreplace Vlaar in case of injuries/suspension and perhaps even  partner (which would've been harsh on Clark, he's done well this season).

Hindsight? No. We started the season with 4 CBs, which is reasonable. But with Okore out until the end of the season (if he recovers from his injury before then, he will still need to get his fitness back) it would have made sense to replace him, as we did with Kozak and Holt (a position in which we were in lesser need of a replacement, by the way).

To that, add that that both Vlaar and Baker seem to be rather injury prone, which could leave us seriously exposed.

So the question is: Were there any Cbs available on loan better than Baker? And if so, wasn't it foolish of Lambert not to intervene?

• Like 2

Clark has done better this season, but mainly when Vlaar's alongside him.

And I really hope we don't have to use Okore before the season's out, especially under pressure and coming back from what is a quite serious injury under normal circumstances.

Same applies to Donacien, imagine having to throw him in at the deep end in a relegation 6 pointer. A great way to start your professional career I don't think.

So fingers crossed that Ron can stay injury free for the rest of the season and his substitution on Saturday was just a precaution. Some luck with injuries wouldn't go amiss.

Edited by turnbull

And people believe Lambert chose not to buy in Jan. Like any manager in the world wouldn't want cover for such an important player who suffers with fitness issues.

That is why I find it hard to take someones opinion here, sometimes these things intertwine when I see rants on here. All fair to disagree with his coaching style of course. Not to single you out but I felt your comment had some relevance to it. 

He's done his hamstring, so i'd be very surprised if we see him in the coming weeks.

Didnt look too bad when he came off?

Nor did Gabby.

Nor did Okore ...

As soon as he was being treated and stood up I said cruciate.

Im not usually one for doom and gloom, but the dealthy silence on this one is VERY Okore/Kozak-like.

I'm preparing myself to hear the inevitable "Out for the season" line and everyone will be up in arms. If that happens, some points in the next 4 games becomes ESSENTIAL because without Vlaar, we wont be getting many in March and the pressure on such a young defence in the last 7 or so game run in might be too much this time.

Vlaar is a crock and I worry okore is too. We need better cover

I can understand Vlaar but why Okore?
Purely on how innocuous the injury occurred and the length of recovery.

What on earth are you going on about?

1) Knee injuries often often appear incredibly innocuous. Just because his leg wasn't facing the wrong way doesn't mean he's injury prone.

2) Ignorance. ACL injuries are long recoveries regardless of whether it's your first injury ever or you've had tonnes. In fact, from his Twitter posts he seems to be ahead of schedule.

• Like 1

Injuries like that can happen to anybody, and recovering from them can take a very long time. As far as I know he doesn't have an injury-plagued record.

Injuries like that can happen to anybody, and recovering from them can take a very long time. As far as I know he doesn't have an injury-plagued record.

Neither does Vlaar though and people on here believe he is "made of glass" 

Â