12 shot dead, 38 injured at Batman premiere in Denver, USA.

The_Rev

Haven't read the whole thread yet. Do these shootings normally end in suicide? Thinking of the more infamous ones Columbine and Virginia Tech. I wonder if he'll have a 'manifesto' which would make it strange to target a cinema. Probably shouldn't speculate at this stage.

He's already in custody

I know. I'm suggesting that a person who goes on a rampage like this usually/often turns the gun on themselves. Him not doing this could point to another motivating factor, or not.

Ah, sorry - didn't think you knew he was in custody. Generally speaking yes they do (examples that immediately spring to mind are Raoul Moat, Derryck Bird, the Virginia Tech gunman and Columbine)

I would suspect he has a manifesto of some description or some sort of "mission" against authority as apparently the town is an army town?

Working in mental health, I hate how people instantly jump to the conclusion that perpetrators of these kinds of appalling acts have a mental health problem. This is why there's such a stigma around mental health and why people are so afraid to seek help when they are suffering with a mental health problem, because they are afraid they will get lumped in with the minority who achieve notoriety through appalling actions and subsequent blaming of mental health.

I would suggest that until anything concrete is said by the authorities, and the perpetrator has had a psychiatric assessment this is as much the work of a person without a mental health problem as much as someone with a mental health problem.

If someone's overmedicated, particularly with anti-depressants they wouldn't be able to do something like this due to the side effects. In addition, people with mental health problems focus more on hurting themselves than others.

However, if say someone had a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia which was poorly controlled, and Batman formed a part of their delusion then who knows, maybe they could do something like this.

The fact is, at this point we just don't know, so let's leave labelling and guesswork out of it, and focus on sending our support and best wishes to those who simply went to a film premiere and won't be coming home at all, or have had their lives changed forever :(

Top post :thumb:

A fellow BSMHFT employee by any chance?

Haven't read the whole thread yet. Do these shootings normally end in suicide? Thinking of the more infamous ones Columbine and Virginia Tech. I wonder if he'll have a 'manifesto' which would make it strange to target a cinema. Probably shouldn't speculate at this stage.

He's already in custody

I know. I'm suggesting that a person who goes on a rampage like this usually/often turns the gun on themselves. Him not doing this could point to another motivating factor, or not.

Ah, sorry - didn't think you knew he was in custody. Generally speaking yes they do (examples that immediately spring to mind are Raoul Moat, Derryck Bird, the Virginia Tech gunman and Columbine)

I would suspect he has a manifesto of some description or some sort of "mission" against authority as apparently the town is an army town?

If he is politically motivated it's strange he targeted a cinema. They usually target their perceived tormentors (schools, Federal buildings).

Working in mental health, I hate how people instantly jump to the conclusion that perpetrators of these kinds of appalling acts have a mental health problem. This is why there's such a stigma around mental health and why people are so afraid to seek help when they are suffering with a mental health problem, because they are afraid they will get lumped in with the minority who achieve notoriety through appalling actions and subsequent blaming of mental health.

I would suggest that until anything concrete is said by the authorities, and the perpetrator has had a psychiatric assessment this is as much the work of a person without a mental health problem as much as someone with a mental health problem.

If someone's overmedicated, particularly with anti-depressants they wouldn't be able to do something like this due to the side effects. In addition, people with mental health problems focus more on hurting themselves than others.

However, if say someone had a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia which was poorly controlled, and Batman formed a part of their delusion then who knows, maybe they could do something like this.

The fact is, at this point we just don't know, so let's leave labelling and guesswork out of it, and focus on sending our support and best wishes to those who simply went to a film premiere and won't be coming home at all, or have had their lives changed forever :(

Top post :thumb:

A fellow BSMHFT employee by any chance?

Unfortunately not as apparently I don't have enough experience, despite having a degree in Psychology, a year's placement in Early Intervention, and currently working in Crisis Intervention. Though I keep an eye on NHS Jobs religiously, could you PM me any suggestions for getting in there?

Intelligence and mental health are not necessarily linked. And yet, many serial killers are highly highly intelligent (IQ) and can often be motivated by the fact they deem their victims to be 'not worthy' of living.

Possible.

However, I read somewhere (Newsweek I think, okay a bit sensationalist but this article looked pretty credible) that scientists had found a correlation between academic success (related to but not equivalent to intelligence, btw) and far-sightedness (forgot what word they used to describe this trait).

Basically, in general, if a high school dropout and a PhD holder, both of more or less the same age and both equally well-to-do financially (probably wouldn't be the case in the real world of course), were asked to pick one out of 2 options:

1. Earn $1000 this month, but earn nothing next month.

2. Earn nothing this month, but $2000 the next.

The PhD guy would be more likely to pick option 2, while the high school dropout would tend towards plumping for option 1.

This suggests somewhat that academically successful people are generally and relatively "build for the future" more (so to speak) and are less impulsive. This was why his qualifications came as a surprise to me - I would have, at first glance, expected someone like him to be far-sighted enough to think of the consequences (mayhem, prison/death etc) before shooting, instead of giving in to more primal instincts.

It was mentioned that he had dropped out before completing his PhD course (or whatever it is) - maybe this, or something related, caused him to slip into depression? Possible. Although even then, as some on here have already mentioned, he would in that case be more likely to inflict self-harm, rather than focusing his emotions outwards and onto the public.

Do Colorado carry the death penalty ?

It's one of the first things i checked im sure i read somewhere that it was abolished back in april this year in Denver anyway how convenient for him

Not sure how accurate the info is though

If this were to happen in the UK he'd probably be given 2 weeks community service Anonimity a nice string of benefits and a mansion to live in

Electrify the ****, Lethal Injection is to quick and painless for tossers like this

How ironic if he was a Neuroscience student Maybe he should have paid more attention in class and come to the conclusion that he was sick in the brain and needed psychiatric help

Electrify the ****, Lethal Injection is to quick and painless for tossers like this

From reports I've read, lethal injection is hardly painless but yes, I agree with you: If I lost a friend / family member etc to something like this, I would want to see his balls fed through a grater (whilst he's alive) to a baby eagle.

I always imagined lethal injection was as if they put you to sleep almost like they do with dogs

Do they still use a wet sponge on the head when they electrocute people i wouldn't blame them if they forgot

If this were to happen in the UK he'd probably be given 2 weeks community service Anonimity a nice string of benefits and a mansion to live in
Bullshit.

Not sure what to say about this other than going into the usual hand wringing.

4 or 5 years ago in Brasil, we had a referendum on hand guns and there was a goodly majority for keeping them. I have two, a simple but very good 38 revolver and a rather futuristic looking 9mm, with which I can't hit a bloody door.

The US has not had the benefit of a referendum, but their own democratic system clearly seems to support gun ownership. In view of which it may be very bad luck for those that were shot, but I find it harder to sympathise with the society as a whole.

Bullshit.

I couldn't find the words, and you went and did it in one.

That comment has genuinely made me angry.

Anywho... As per comment on these things - If you will have such a gun culture, this kind of thing will happen.

I await the comments that 'if someone in the theatre had been carrying they'd have put this guy down and saved lives, and thats why we need guns and concealed carry permits'.

A great shame. People out to enjoy themselves, and find only terror.

Living in Massachusetts (very strict gun laws, not a big gun culture), we don't see these types of crimes luckily. But the "mass shooting" has become such a **** American tradition that I've become numb to it all at this point. I'm not surprised anymore. Angry and disgusted, but not surprised...

Living in Massachusetts (very strict gun laws, not a big gun culture), we don't see these types of crimes luckily. But the "mass shooting" has become such a **** American tradition that I've become numb to it all at this point. I'm not surprised anymore. Angry and disgusted, but not surprised...

Indeed. Sadly we are reaching the point where major cities have had multiple massacres, I'm sure its been stated in this thread already but this one is only on the other side of Denver from Columbine.

I dont think there is any way of preventing another one either. Gun culture is so entrenched in the USA and so many guns are in circulation over there that removing guns from the general public just isnt going to happen.

Â