12 shot dead, 38 injured at Batman premiere in Denver, USA.

The_Rev

(2) Even if they did, it would probably be unenforceable in practice.

"I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold dead hands"

yep.

Why were there kids at a night time screening of a Batman film?

Madness.

What's the problem here? Are you connecting what happened to some sort of culpability on the parent's side for bringing them to the cinema for a night screening? As if it should be a consideration that children should not attend the cinema after a certain time because the threat of massacre increases.

It should have been huge novelty to go to see the new batman film the minute it is released, past their bedtime. Such a shame that the mentally unstable have such great access to firearms over there. Regardless of the guy himself who was most likely severely disturbed, the blame must lie with those in charge of how he acquired his arsenal. The supposedly mentally competent.

No I am not but keep putting words in my mouth anyway.

What enjoyment would a 3month old have gotten from the film? There is no way a 3 month old should be at a midnight showing of the film IMO. Have you even heard how loud the effects are in these films? That alone should have been enough not to take a baby.

I guess the baby didn't necessarily have to have been in the screening

Maybe someone was finishing their shift and their spouse was picking them up and brought the baby in with him/her as it wasn't worth getting a sitter for a short trip, but the possible inhalation of gas was enough to mean the baby needed to be treated?

I'm specualting obviously, but point is a baby going to the hospital as a result of the incident doesn't necessarily mean the baby was in there watching Batman

I saw this in work earlier and was so shocked. It's awful news and my heart goes out to those involved. It's a sad world we live in when a cinema visit can result in a massacre. It just goes to show how short life is and how all it takes is being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sad news...

(2) Even if they did, it would probably be unenforceable in practice.

"I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold dead hands"

yep.

It is happening in Europe too and I don´t believe it is because the guns are easy to get.

I wonder what sort of (over)medication he was on. Antidepressants?

Working in mental health, I hate how people instantly jump to the conclusion that perpetrators of these kinds of appalling acts have a mental health problem. This is why there's such a stigma around mental health and why people are so afraid to seek help when they are suffering with a mental health problem, because they are afraid they will get lumped in with the minority who achieve notoriety through appalling actions and subsequent blaming of mental health.

I would suggest that until anything concrete is said by the authorities, and the perpetrator has had a psychiatric assessment this is as much the work of a person without a mental health problem as much as someone with a mental health problem.

If someone's overmedicated, particularly with anti-depressants they wouldn't be able to do something like this due to the side effects. In addition, people with mental health problems focus more on hurting themselves than others.

However, if say someone had a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia which was poorly controlled, and Batman formed a part of their delusion then who knows, maybe they could do something like this.

The fact is, at this point we just don't know, so let's leave labelling and guesswork out of it, and focus on sending our support and best wishes to those who simply went to a film premiere and won't be coming home at all, or have had their lives changed forever :(

Never heard of that forum, and if that was the case, then that is just so **** up.. I mean urging another human Being to go an murder innocent people and children, it really is a messed up world we live in.

Nor me, apparently he posted his plan and they egged him on to carry it out.

WTF!!!!

Working in mental health, I hate how people instantly jump to the conclusion that perpetrators of these kinds of appalling acts have a mental health problem. This is why there's such a stigma around mental health and why people are so afraid to seek help when they are suffering with a mental health problem, because they are afraid they will get lumped in with the minority who achieve notoriety through appalling actions and subsequent blaming of mental health.

If that was at me, then sorry for the confusion. I was questioning the industry, the doctors and the healthsystem...not the patients.

If that was at me, then sorry for the confusion. I was questioning the industry, the doctors and the healthsystem...not the patients.

No no not aimed at you, just a general lamenting of the stigma surrounding mental health

Yeah agree 100% mental health is seen in an un healthy light, I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of knowledge surrounding it, people just assume that if you have mental health issues e.g. (Paranoid schizophrenia) that must mean that your are dangerous, and Its just Not the case..

The state of your mental health can't be too great if you do something like this. He might or he mightn't fall into some convenient industry category. But there was a screw of some description loose in order for him to do what he did here.

I would suggest that until anything concrete is said by the authorities, and the perpetrator has had a psychiatric assessment this is as much the work of a person without a mental health problem as much as someone with a mental health problem.

If someone's overmedicated, particularly with anti-depressants they wouldn't be able to do something like this due to the side effects. In addition, people with mental health problems focus more on hurting themselves than others.

However, if say someone had a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia which was poorly controlled, and Batman formed a part of their delusion then who knows, maybe they could do something like this.

The fact is, at this point we just don't know, so let's leave labelling and guesswork out of it, and focus on sending our support and best wishes to those who simply went to a film premiere and won't be coming home at all, or have had their lives changed forever :(

What distinguishes someone with a mental health problem from someone who has their perception of the world skewed to such an extent that they believe murdering a group of innocent people is their only course of action?

Religion?

The state of your mental health can't be too great if you do something like this. He might or he mightn't fall into some convenient industry category. But there was a screw of some description loose in order for him to do what he did here.

I would suggest there's a form of psychopathy involved judging by the way the attack was carried out and the ongoing aftermath.

At thirty-eight, Kiehl is one of the world’s leading younger investigators in psychopathy, the condition of moral emptiness that affects between fifteen to twenty-five per cent of the North American prison population, and is believed by some psychologists to exist in one per cent of the general adult male population. (Female psychopaths are thought to be much rarer.) Psychopaths don’t exhibit the manias, hysterias, and neuroses that are present in other types of mental illness. Their main defect, what psychologists call “severe emotional detachment”—a total lack of empathy and remorse—is concealed, and harder to describe than the symptoms of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. This absence of easily readable signs has led to debate among mental-health practitioners about what qualifies as psychopathy and how to diagnose it. Psychopathy isn’t identified as a disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, the American Psychiatric Association’s canon; instead, a more general term, “antisocial personality disorder,” known as A.P.D., covers the condition.

Click for full article

Â