12 shot dead, 38 injured at Batman premiere in Denver, USA.

The_Rev

It's just impossible for my mind to fathom what could bring someone to do such a thing. I feel guilt and remorse when I've had a big row with a friend. I can't understand some or the brutal and random assaults many people do on each other around the country. But this is just so far beyond that. I just can't reason it. I can understand the violence of war as the higher ups give the orders and do not need to see the blood. But not this

Working in mental health, I hate how people instantly jump to the conclusion that perpetrators of these kinds of appalling acts have a mental health problem. This is why there's such a stigma around mental health and why people are so afraid to seek help when they are suffering with a mental health problem, because they are afraid they will get lumped in with the minority who achieve notoriety through appalling actions and subsequent blaming of mental health.

I would suggest that until anything concrete is said by the authorities, and the perpetrator has had a psychiatric assessment this is as much the work of a person without a mental health problem as much as someone with a mental health problem.

If someone's overmedicated, particularly with anti-depressants they wouldn't be able to do something like this due to the side effects. In addition, people with mental health problems focus more on hurting themselves than others.

However, if say someone had a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia which was poorly controlled, and Batman formed a part of their delusion then who knows, maybe they could do something like this.

The fact is, at this point we just don't know, so let's leave labelling and guesswork out of it, and focus on sending our support and best wishes to those who simply went to a film premiere and won't be coming home at all, or have had their lives changed forever :(

What distinguishes someone with a mental health problem from someone who has their perception of the world skewed to such an extent that they believe murdering a group of innocent people is their only course of action?

Religion?

I thought it was this

Chemical unbalance=Mental health issue

Brainwashing someone to do what you want=Religion

What distinguishes someone with a mental health problem from someone who has their perception of the world skewed to such an extent that they believe murdering a group of innocent people is their only course of action?

Religion?

Exactly the problem. It is difficult to identify at what point a mental illness can be used as an explanation for someone's actions, or if it is something else, like for example brainwashing etc. Fact is it's very difficult to pinpoint.

Never heard of that forum, and if that was the case, then that is just so **** up.. I mean urging another human Being to go an murder innocent people and children, it really is a messed up world we live in.

Nor me, apparently he posted his plan and they egged him on to carry it out.

WTF!!!!

You have to bear in mind what sort of places those imageboards are. The people responding to the thread (if indeed this is true, I've only heard about it on here) probably thought he was 'joking'

I thought it was this

No, in your latter scenario the health of their mental state is still compromised and could be seen as unhealthy. Hell, loneliness can affect your 'mental health'. It is a very fragile thing. It doesn't need to be an imbalance or a design flaw. A person's situation can and does affect their mental health.

I thought it was this

No, in your latter scenario the health of their mental state is still compromised and could be seen as unhealthy. Hell, loneliness can affect your 'mental health'. It is a very fragile thing. It doesn't need to be an imbalance or a design flaw. A person's situation can and does affect their mental health.

Yeah true, cant argue with that.

I thought it was this

Again, it's difficult to pinpoint what causes what.

There's an arguement to say genetic vulnerability + social environment + trigger = mental health problem (particularly with schizophrenia)

Likewise, as BOF says a trigger on its' own can cause a perceived mental health problem. I worked with someone who had no social life and as a result was suffering what was diagnosed as "Depression with Anxiety", they were referred to a befriending service and lo and behold, the diagnosis was removed.

Interestingly I just spotted this on the BBC's live text coverage:

"1631: The Associated Press confirms with a university spokeswoman that James Holmes [the person arrested] was a student at University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, and that he withdrew in June."

Do we know anything yet about James Holmes ethnicity or class or upbringing ?

BBC reporting he's a 24 year old White American who was studying a PhD in Medicinal Science at Detroit School of Medicine I believe

PhD :shock:

You would expect someone like that to know better, and to think twice, thrice, and four times before taking any drastic actions.

Then again...

Intelligence and mental health are not necessarily linked. And yet, many serial killers are highly highly intelligent (IQ) and can often be motivated by the fact they deem their victims to be 'not worthy' of living.

Haven't read the whole thread yet. Do these shootings normally end in suicide? Thinking of the more infamous ones Columbine and Virginia Tech. I wonder if he'll have a 'manifesto' which would make it strange to target a cinema. Probably shouldn't speculate at this stage.

Haven't read the whole thread yet. Do these shootings normally end in suicide? Thinking of the more infamous ones Columbine and Virginia Tech. I wonder if he'll have a 'manifesto' which would make it strange to target a cinema. Probably shouldn't speculate at this stage.

He's already in custody

He's already in custody

I know. I'm suggesting that a person who goes on a rampage like this usually/often turns the gun on themselves. Him not doing this could point to another motivating factor, or not.

It means a trial. Which is uncommon in these rampage. Nobody who does such things can be sane. Though many people are put to death in America even though they are insane. Because people want vengeance

Â