12 shot dead, 38 injured at Batman premiere in Denver, USA.

The_Rev

Do Colorado carry the death penalty ?

It's one of the first things i checked im sure i read somewhere that it was abolished back in april this year in Denver anyway how convenient for him

Not sure how accurate the info is though

wiki"]

Capital punishment is legal in the U.S. state of Colorado.

Colorado was the last state to perform an execution in pre-Furman period (in 1967), but since 1977 executed only one prisoner, and may thus be considered as de facto abolitionist since 11 October 2007.

Death penalty was reinstated in Colorado on January 1, 1975. Previous death penalty statute was declared unconstitutional due to United States Supreme Court Furman v. Georgia rule in 1972, which found all states death penalty statutes unconstitutional. In 1976, Colorado's new death penalty statutes were approved by the Supreme Court and Colorado was allowed to continue performing executions.

As in any other state, people who are under 18 at the time of commission of the capital crime or mentally retarded are constitutionally precluded from being executed.

Capital crimes

* First-degree murder with at least 1 of 17 aggravating factors

* Treason

Method

Lethal injection

I think this Brooker segment is appropriate at this time.

Brooker

We've got to stop making such a big thing of these kind of shootings, it only glamorises it for other potential shooters. The knowledge that such an act is getting get discussed so widely and known to so many people only encourages more of such events.

That suggestions in that video seem sensible, but I'd imagine almost impossible in this day and age? They are a 'big thing'. If we hear of such an event, we're probably going to look up all the details online anyway. Obviously, the news broadcasters on TV don't want this.

In my town, several years ago, a woman who lived alone was attacked in her apartment by a guy in a ski mask and a hunting knife. She had a legal handgun, and she used it. Shot him dead. If she was your sister, girlfriend or mother, you'd have been grateful she was armed...

Maybe, maybe not. How's she doing now? Perhaps she's regretting having killed someone, perhaps she isn't.

What if she had been the one to have ended up dead by her own weapon? Would you have been using that as an emotive tale to support being armed?

We could "what if" all night long, it doesn't change the fact that by using her firearm, she thwarted a probable rape, and a possible murder.

My father lives in a rural part of New England where there has been a scourge of meth/oxycontin abuse and related crimes, particularly home invasion/robberies. My father has a firearm. It gives him some peace of mind, and it gives me some as well.

Its one thing having one handgun in your own home for protection but for this nutter, or any other, to legally buy the kind of weaponry he did in such a short space of time is another.

So yeah if my wife or I was being attacked in my own home and I feared for my life I would probably prefer to have a gun to protect myself but I dont need a **** AR 15 Rifle along with a shit load of other armoury to do so and nor should I legally be allowed to.

I've not read all the posts on this thread, but did anyone notice the Colorado Governor being interviewed?

He said something like, 'let's not overreact', or some such thing... quite clearly he was already positioning himself for a defence of the gun laws... absolutely amazing!

What else do you expect him to say though? This debate has been had many times and its pretty clear that US citizens value their constitutional right to bear arms and as a result gun laws are not going to be changed. Even if they were changed (which they wont be) then pretty much anything will be unenforceable because there are so many guns in circulation in the country.

Haven't read through the whole thread so these may have already been posted but just read these two blogs.

The first is from the brother of one of the victims. The victim seeming to be getting the most attention, 24 year old Jessica Ghawi. He's talking about the incident and the immediate aftermath for him.

The second is from Jessica herself, she was in the shopping centre where there was another shooting, in Toronto, about a month ago. She talks about that incident.

I found the first one quite horrific to read.

What else do you expect him to say though? This debate has been had many times and its pretty clear that US citizens value their constitutional right to bear arms and as a result gun laws are not going to be changed. Even if they were changed (which they wont be) then pretty much anything will be unenforceable because there are so many guns in circulation in the country.

I agree with you... but nonetheless it still seems extraordinary.

I mentioned earlier the referendum a few years back in Brasil. As I understood the result, a comfortable win for 'keep the guns'; it was due to everyone believing it was far too late to stop the criminals obtaining guns, so we may as well let the good guys have them too.

according to sky news there were rumours that he yelled "iam the joker" or something along those lines but they are refusing to confirm it incase it would spark similar events elsewhere

I did think yesterday there was room for a number Batman villain jokes, but dediced it was a little too soon!

according to sky news there were rumours that he yelled "iam the joker" or something along those lines but they are refusing to confirm it incase it would spark similar events elsewhere

I think it was confirmed on the front page of every British newspaper this morning :-(

In my town, several years ago, a woman who lived alone was attacked in her apartment by a guy in a ski mask and a hunting knife. She had a legal handgun, and she used it. Shot him dead. If she was your sister, girlfriend or mother, you'd have been grateful she was armed...

Not really. That would be akin to me agreeing with the death penalty. Why not a taser and/or pepper spray? I don't know the story true enough, but you'll never get me to agree with this "right to bare arms" shit.

Would I beat a burglar who stepped into my home, armed, to within an inch of his life? Yep, no sweat. Would I end his **** life? I'm sorry, not for me all that. I think it's medieval and barbaric.

Would I beat a burglar who stepped into my home, armed, to within an inch of his life? Yep, no sweat.

That is assuming he didn't shoot you before you delivered the beating.

Would I beat a burglar who stepped into my home, armed, to within an inch of his life? Yep, no sweat.

That is assuming he didn't shoot you before you delivered the beating.

How many burglars do you think carry guns in this country? I would suggest that many illegal weapons in this country are used by gangs and organised crime, I wouldn't personally expect many burglars to have them, although I might be wrong.

Burglars I would guess generally carry a blade ?

That's why I keep a 7 iron under my bed, in the dark, I could still shave the side of his head off with that thing

I never fear for my safety at any point of any day. If a burglar wants to rob my house he can, if muggers want to mug me they can. Only time I've ever been mugged was in Birmingham by the way and I spent 6months in South America.

I never fear for my safety at any point of any day. If a burglar wants to rob my house he can, if muggers want to mug me they can. Only time I've ever been mugged was in Birmingham by the way and I spent 6months in South America.

Sounds like a good deal if you ask me

Â