Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

I still find it extremely worrying that under O'Neill when finishing sixth three times on the bounce we had the 8th, 6th and 6th highest wage bill but couldn't sustain it. We are going to find it very difficult to get back into the top 6 and stay there unless we are prepared to again have a wage bill that reflects that position.

It is Lerners biggest failure that he could not get income up to a level that could sustain finishing 6th with the 6th highest wage bill

Perhaps we just need better players?

Not only did we fork out shitloads on wages. The vast majority were/are average prem players at best when they havent got MON behind them.

Exactly, how many of those players were overpaid? Beye, NRC, Harewood, Sidwell, Shorey, Davies, probably a load more.

Even the best players we got - i.e. Milner/Young are not in the same league as Modric or Bale if Im being honest - yet still got paid more! Young & Milner both look a bit out of their depth in the champs league imo and were abysmal really at the Euros.

We ran at a champs league wage structure with midtable standard players who enormously over-achieved under a firstclass motivator (not manager). We Failed to get champs league and shit hit the fan. MON left and the true standard of the players became evident.

I have no doubt that if Collins and Warnock go to Sunderland they will perform much much better than the last 2 seasons, but will probably win nothing.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still find it extremely worrying that under O'Neill when finishing sixth three times on the bounce we had the 8th, 6th and 6th highest wage bill but couldn't sustain it. We are going to find it very difficult to get back into the top 6 and stay there unless we are prepared to again have a wage bill that reflects that position.

It is Lerners biggest failure that he could not get income up to a level that could sustain finishing 6th with the 6th highest wage bill

Perhaps we just need better players?

Not only did we fork out shitloads on wages. The vast majority were/are average prem players at best when they havent got MON behind them.

Exactly, how many of those players were overpaid? Beye, NRC, Harewood, Sidwell, Shorey, Davies, probably a load more.

Even the best players we got - i.e. Milner/Young are not in the same league as Modric or Bale if Im being honest - yet still got paid more! Young & Milner both look a bit out of their depth in the champs league imo and were abysmal really at the Euros.

We ran at a champs league wage structure with midtable standard players who enormously over-achieved under a firstclass motivator (not manager). We Failed to get champs league and shit hit the fan. MON left and the true standard of the players became evident.

I have no doubt that if Collins and Warnock go to Sunderland they will perform much much better than the last 2 seasons, but will probably win nothing.

Exactly there was a reason Barry was the highest paid player.

maybe we are awaiting the sell of collins before we sign vlaar?

i reckon we bite the bullet and sign him. i think we can get rid of collins anyhow

Massively lowers his value though if he's clearly not first team choice, baring in mind that the rest of the league knows we're trying to cut our wage bill.

maybe we are awaiting the sell of collins before we sign vlaar?

i reckon we bite the bullet and sign him. i think we can get rid of collins anyhow

Massively lowers his value though if he's clearly not first team choice, baring in mind that the rest of the league knows we're trying to cut our wage bill.

I disagree with that, he's into the last year of his contract, considering we paid £4mil when he was 25, I'd say with he'd be worth £3mil tops and when you factor in he has a year to run you'd be lucky to get more than £2mil so if anyone wanted to buy him, I cant see how signing Vlaar would knock much off his value.

"No contact yet"

Although Koeman is keeping Vlaar out of the team. The plot thickens. :!:

Well, surprisingly...Vlaar is playing the 2nd half against FC Dordrecht.

In the pre-match interview, Koeman said that Vlaar has given Villa until the end of the weekend to sign him.

Vlaar Update

The transfer of Ron Vlaar to Aston Villa are still in a deadlock. Technical director Martin van Geel has indicated that no English club has been contacted and is surprised about the conduct of The Villans. "We are awaiting. We do not contact them. We'd rather call them, because that means that Ron remains at Feyenoord. He is a great player," Van Geel against Eredivisie Live. The technical director requires clarity of the Premier League club. "We would now like to know how it is." Vlaar was last weekend at the invitation of the British guests at Villa Park, but then remained silent. Earlier also spoke coach Ronald Koeman already annoyance. "I want to gradually got to know where I stand," he told the AD. "It is fun when you invite a player and give him a positive feeling, but it seems to me that you transfer directly then completes that player if you really want. He is not so expensive. " Vlaar is with Feyenoord until 2014 fixed, but can leave for a limited transfer fee.

By the sounds of it the club haven't gone about this deal the right way at all and have almost been disrespectful to Feyenoord by keeping them waiting, though for some reason i'm not too keen on this transfer myself (though he must be better than the chuckle brothers surely?).

Richard... Howcome 'welcome' was called by yourself when it seems that actually, it is no where near done? Or was it a guess?

No dig, just interested in knowing why you called it a few days ago?

Ron Vlaar has just been interviewed after the game and he was quite coy about the whole situation. He only wanted to admit that he and his agent have given Villa the ''end of the weekend deadline'' and that's about it. He enjoyed playing the second half even though he had a quiet time today.

Just saw theses .....

Martin van Geel: "We have as yet heard nothing from Aston Villa." # Vlaar # Feyenoord

Koeman: "The agent Ron has indicated that it should be around this weekend, otherwise he remains at # Feyenoord . "

Ron Vlaar on whether this was his last 45 minutes # Feyenoord were: "I do not know. I have no answer." # dorfey

Vlaar: "I train full and I'm for the team. I play just before # Feyenoord and that's all true. " # dorfey

Vlaar, "I'm used to for # Feyenoord to play and I've always done with love. If I stay, I will continue to do so. "

Ron Vlaar has just been interviewed after the game and he was quite coy about the whole situation. He only wanted to admit that he and his agent have given Villa the ''end of the weekend deadline'' and that's about it. He enjoyed playing the second half even though he had a quiet time today.

Thanks for the updates Feyenoord.

Obviously we don't know what has gone on behind closed doors, but does seem a very strange way for the club to go about things, especially when the deal for KEA had been done so easily.

Perhaps PL has decided that he doesn't want him?

I knew of Vlaar when he was younger and was quite promising right? What is he like now? Is he better than Dunne and Collins?

I don't think that many of us have seen a lot of him other than at the Euros, where the Dutch defended really poorly and he didn't shine himself. We'd be foolish to judge him on that though. Collins and/or Dunne need removing and I think this is an excellent deal on paper. Just hope everyone holds their nerve and the deal gets done.

Faulkner must have ran out of credit on his PAYG phone. What a farce.

Or maybe Lambert has decided he doesn't want him.

Or maybe Feyenoord are asking for 10m

Or maybe we're simply waiting to sell a player.

Faulkner gets a lot of stick on this site with no evidence whatsoever to back it up. I really don't understand it.

Faulkner must have ran out of credit on his PAYG phone. What a farce.

Or maybe Lambert has decided he doesn't want him.

Or maybe Feyenoord are asking for 10m

Or maybe we're simply waiting to sell a player.

Faulkner gets a lot of stick on this site with no evidence whatsoever to back it up. I really don't understand it.

I was joking.

We should buy him or have the courtesy to let Feyenoord know we're not interested in their captain any more. We wouldn't have been too happy had a club come in for Laursen this indecisively.