Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

I wonder if he would be any good as an option at CM. Seems to have the attributes.

Thought this myself, i think he can certainly do a job there if needed.. at the moment i'm happy with him at RB but would like to see him play a few more positions (when we are safe, hopefully next season) just to see how he fairs up.

Being on-a-par with Fulham is not something we should aspire to. How many seasons have Villa actually finished below Fulham in history? Like five?

The last couple of seasons of being slightly worse than them are an anomaly, nothing more. We are of a similar size to Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland. Fulham are the epitome of mediocre.

I didn't say it was an aspiration. As I said, we should at least be on a par with them. 

You can't look at 'history', if we did we would be entitled to be above Man City, Everton, Spurs etc. The fact is, looking at the club, today, we are not and in the short/medium term we have to aim to be better than the teams who are finishing above us, ie. Fulham. This 'bigger' club thing is a load of crap, league points govern where we are in the pecking order, its what the team is measured on. I think sometimes fans forget that there are other teams who are constantly looking to improve and that we can't just expect to leapfrog every other team because 'we are bigger than'.

Moving onto aspiration. I don't doubt our aspiration is European Football and some good cup runs, I don't doubt that Fulham's is the same. So I would say aiming to be better than them is part of that.

As for mediocre. Stoke are mediocre, Sunderland are mediocre, Wigan are mediocre.

Villa for the three seasons have been mostly 'mediocre' let's not kid ourselves.

As I said, I think we are a couple of first team signings (a defender and a midfielder) from a real good team.

Fulham? :lol:

I mean I know our status has lowered in recent years, but not THAT much.

I wonder if the article is a piss-take? "First-team football"?? Actual LOL - The guy has played EVERY MINUTE of EVERY GAME this season, ha ha.

It's ridiculous. Must be a piss-take! 

Its hilarious looking at the various teams of the week out there, I haven't seen him in one but saw half the Liverpool team in some. Although I much prefer people not noticing the gem of a player we have here.

Jesus Christ he was like the white Cafu last night.  His delivery has come on so much this season.  More of these players in the summer please Lambo.

dont remind us of the last white Cafu we had at right back

Its hilarious looking at the various teams of the week out there, I haven't seen him in one but saw half the Liverpool team in some. Although I much prefer people not noticing the gem of a player we have here.

Yes Crooks had him in his team after the Fulham game but not the Sunderland one where he played much better! Strange, Reid must have been really brilliant or Crooks is bonkers.

To be fair, should we be relegated i don't think Lowton to Fulham is that far fetched.

Based on last night alone he could play for a top team, but based on the whole season a midtable PL team seems about the right level

Edited by sne

To be fair, should we be relegated i don't think Lowton to Fulham is that far fetched.

Exactly, plus that's what I understood the link to be about. Relegated clubs get cherry-picked. C'est la vie. But now hopefully it's looking like a non-starter. Still, it might be nice for PL to get the phonecall regardless, just so he can have a good hearty laugh. Very therapeutic y'know.

Like with everything else, you don't judge a player solely on his best performance just as you don't judge him on his weakest one. Lowton was immense last night against an opposition that gave him room to stroll forward, but let's not forget he has also been piss poor several occasions this season. However, performances like the one yesterday gives me huge hope for him establishing himself as a top-tier defender in the Premier League for years to come. Him going to Fulham? Not if we stay up, would never happen. Just as no team in the top 6 would look to buy him, they have better in their ranks already and surely don't make decisions based on one game. Look at his 90 minutes against Chelsea and things kind of even up. He is staying at Villa Park for sure.

He is definitely in the thumbs up bracket though, unlike Joe Bennett who has a lot to answer for next season.

Just as no team in the top 6 would look to buy him, they have better in their ranks already and surely don't make decisions based on one game.

Teams in the top 6 should be looking to find better players at all positions, but they don’t necessarily buy players who are better at the time, but have the potential to be better than what they have. With Lowton you would be buying a player who has room to improve on somewhat who is already very good. He’s still learning...

For all the mistakes he has made he has more than made up for with crucial assists like last night, everton and QPR and the crucial goals he has scored. Can anybody work out how many points he has gained us this season to how many points he has lost us. My guess is he is hugely in credit!

Edited by PaulC

Depends what "very good" means though. I think Guzan is great, Vlaar is good, Baker is solid and Lowton is stable. But these guys have let in 64 goals this season, and it's not just down to Joe Bennett and the guys in midfield not chipping in. I remember Armand Traore being just as good and talked up by his supporters, but he didn't develop the way everyone believed he would even though he looked insanely good at times. Lowton is talented and stable, but does that necessarily mean he will develop every aspect of his game or will he just become a little better than he is now? That's a job for the best scouts to decide, not supporters of the team who obviously want him to be a world-class defender. I think the path from a solid defender to suddenly being good enough for the best is a long way apart, but after a good game against Sunderland that path is suddenly very reachable. I am a fan of Lowton, he looks very interested and serious about his work every game, but I have also seen lots of games this season where he has been positioned badly, where he has been tricked easily and where his head has been down since we have let in a lot of goals. Like I said earlier, it's the complete package and he has a long way to go still. 

Edit: What is certain though, games like last night can change his career forever. After that game he knows that at his best he is more than good enough. The same goes for games when we lose 8-0 to Chelsea, but you probably take more out of a solid win than a solid loss where others also are to blame.

Edited by Papillon

I think the defensive problems are more a lack of stability than anything. We've had, what, 4 different players play at left back? We've had 5 different players at centre back, we've had a back 4 and a back 5. Once we get it sorted out and they get a run together it'll be better. Changing players and formations (though injuries have forced some of it) has made it difficult for them to get any chemistry as a unit.

Depends what "very good" means though. I think Guzan is great, Vlaar is good, Baker is solid and Lowton is stable. But these guys have let in 64 goals this season, and it's not just down to Joe Bennett and the guys in midfield not chipping in. I remember Armand Traore being just as good and talked up by his supporters, but he didn't develop the way everyone believed he would even though he looked insanely good at times. Lowton is talented and stable, but does that necessarily mean he will develop every aspect of his game or will he just become a little better than he is now? That's a job for the best scouts to decide, not supporters of the team who obviously want him to be a world-class defender. I think the path from a solid defender to suddenly being good enough for the best is a long way apart, but after a good game against Sunderland that path is suddenly very reachable. I am a fan of Lowton, he looks very interested and serious about his work every game, but I have also seen lots of games this season where he has been positioned badly, where he has been tricked easily and where his head has been down since we have let in a lot of goals. Like I said earlier, it's the complete package and he has a long way to go still.

Edit: What is certain though, games like last night can change his career forever. After that game he knows that at his best he is more than good enough. The same goes for games when we lose 8-0 to Chelsea, but you probably take more out of a solid win than a solid loss where others also are to blame.

Can't argue with much of that

I think the defensive problems are more a lack of stability than anything. We've had, what, 4 different players play at left back? We've had 5 different players at centre back, we've had a back 4 and a back 5. Once we get it sorted out and they get a run together it'll be better. Changing players and formations (though injuries have forced some of it) has made it difficult for them to get any chemistry as a unit.

Yes and no. I do think we would benefit from having a much better CB at the back. Baker is one with promise, and has had his moments this season. But honestly, he is not a first team player if we are looking a placement over the top next season. I feel the same about Vlaar. I really liked him in the beginning but gradually he has made some mistakes and I feel he is more of a backup then anything. Bennett has been getting better in the last couple of games, and there is some promise there. Again, not someone you would have as first team player if you look at the whole season. Lowton I feel has been the most stable one, and has had some vital crosses and passes this season. Also very good to go forward, but he needs to be a little bit better defending. On the other hand, this team itself could be a lot better when the next season comes on, if they keep getting better.

Â