General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Mat Kendrick‏@MatKendrick

Paul Lambert insists that the policy of recruiting players from lower leagues/abroad is purely down to him "I make the football decisions."

He makes the decisions after the budget and limitations have been put in place.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know who these superstars we used to sign supposedly are.

Ashley Young? From Watford and was a promising player but not the finished article and certainly not high profile.

Stewart Downing? People were mixed about it, a divisive signing but not THAT high profile.

James Milner? Turned him into a **** machine but again just seemed like a good signing at the time, not that high profile either.

So.. who was it?

John Carew, Martin Laursen, Wilfred Bouma, Milan Baros (although turned out to be shit, was an exciting signing) Paul Merson, Dion Dublin etc..

And the 3 you mentioned are on a different planet to Stephens and Bowry.

Carew I agree. Did you know much about Laursen before he joined? Apart from the fact he came from AC. Ditto with Bouma?

The Villa have never signed super stars.

You talk about short memories, but the best players tend to come with baggage or from humble beginings. We have had three world class players play for us over the past 25 years. One came from Crewe, the other a holiday island in the Carribean and the final one was bombed out of his old club with Whitehead for being a drunk.

Collymore is perhaps that one "X-Factor" signing and it did for He Who Walks on Water.

I think that when we look back at this season in 9 months time Villa will have finished approximately mid table under Lambert's shrewd management.

I shall be interested to see whether Sunderland do any better than us having already spent £25 million + adding approx £10/12 million to the annual wage bill, on three old men and a tricky non tackler.

If Paul's ideas work then we will be stronger and better off year on year with players in their prime, while remaining fiscally secure. Even if Mon's plans come good he's still got to replace three quarters of this summers signings (with no sell on value at all) in a couple of years time.

We are still living with the consequences of the old regime, let's give PL's new regime a chance.