General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

I think we've improved, but not as much as some other teams. Also, getting the team playing Lambert's way will take time, whereas adopting McLeish-style hoofball is easier (and we were already kind of used to it anyway). However, in the long-run Lambert's approach is a lot better.

So where do you expect us to finish?

12th to 15th.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we've improved, but not as much as some other teams. Also, getting the team playing Lambert's way will take time, whereas adopting McLeish-style hoofball is easier (and we were already kind of used to it anyway). However, in the long-run Lambert's approach is a lot better.

12th to 15th.

Seems a bit low compared to your expectation that any half decent manager could have finished 9th to 13th with the squad last year.

You think the window has been ok and we've improved and I'm sure you believe lambert is better than any half decent manager.

And:

Mat Kendrick ‏@MatKendrick

The Christian Benteke transfer is not dead and the Genk striker is keen to join Villa, but the clubs are still apart with their valuations

Going to guess this will be a last minute signing... 10.30ish posted on the OS!

When I say guess... It could also read hope!

12th to 15th.

Seems a bit low compared to your expectation that any half decent manager could have finished 9th to 13th with the squad last year.

You think the window has been ok and we've improved and I'm sure you believe lambert is better than any half decent manager.

As I said, Lambert is trying to implement a new style. That will take time and there will be bumps along the way. I think we'll start to see the benefits more next season. Same with the new European scout.

I agree with Peter. Maybe on paper the window has been underwhelming, but the shift in philosophy and Lambert being willing to drag the club into the 20th century is enough to convince me that we're heading in the right direction.

We're so desperately in need of a change in philosophy that I'd accept failure from Lambert if it meant that in the future, we won't be playing the brand of direct football that has cost us a fortune and been largely unsuccessful. For us to remain a top flight team it needs to happen.

12th to 15th.

As I said, Lambert is trying to implement a new style. That will take time and there will be bumps along the way. I think we'll start to see the benefits more next season. Same with the new European scout.

Your opinion which you can have.

I just find it very strange that any half decent manager could possibly have got last years squad to 9th.

But a better squad and a better manager can't be expected to.

Funny, you say that like you're not. I think we are all wanting new players in aren't we?

Im not - I hoping a big busty wench will burst through the front door and straddle me.................

perhaps there both longshots !

12th to 15th.

Your opinion which you can have.

I just find it very strange that any half decent manager could possibly have got last years squad to 9th.

But a better squad and a better manager can't be expected to.

Possibly being the key word. 9th would obviously have been something of a best-case scenario.

I've already explained. Lambert is implementing a whole new philosophy here.

Got an awful feeling we'll be trotting out the 'we tried, but we ran out of time' line of bullshit come Saturday am

We've had all **** summer to get folks in and now with less than 24 hours to go we're up shit creek

And we'll probably end up panic signing some turd like Doyle for 8m or something equally daft because of it

I agree with Peter. Maybe on paper the window has been underwhelming, but the shift in philosophy and Lambert being willing to drag the club into the 20th century is enough to convince me that we're heading in the right direction.

We're so desperately in need of a change in philosophy that I'd accept failure from Lambert if it meant that in the future, we won't be playing the brand of direct football that has cost us a fortune and been largely unsuccessful. For us to remain a top flight team it needs to happen.

I honestly think we will go down under Lambert. This change of philosophy cannot work with the players we have. Houllier tried this change and had to buy in Darren Bent to survive. He also had Downing and Young at his disposal. Unless Lambert brings in 4 or 5 players tomorrow and I am not on about players from Charlton or Chesterfield either then we are doomed to failure.

Our defence and midfield are among the worst in the league.

Just hope we are not cut adrift by Jan. anything more than 3 points to gain to get out of the bottom three in Jan and we've no chance. We need to be at least level on points with the teams in our league (Wigan, Norwich, Southampton, maybe QPR) as the West Ham's and Stokes are going to pull ahead of us now. fulham and west Brom are miles away.

I honestly think we will go down under Lambert. This change of philosophy cannot work with the players we have. Houllier tried this change and had to buy in Darren Bent to survive. He also had Downing and Young at his disposal. Unless Lambert brings in 4 or 5 players tomorrow and I am not on about players from Charlton or Chesterfield either then we are doomed to failure.

Our defence and midfield are among the worst in the league.

Don't know why you're using the Houllier example - by the end of his reign we had adjusted more or less and were playing well and winning games. Lambert is getting in the players he wants and it's ridiculous to write it off so soon.