General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need more than 2 games to judge.

I said 6, but you probably need 10 before you can start to look at the table. Which is good because I think after 4 games we will still be pointless.

2 days for Lerner to show he wants anything more than to just survive.

I said this in another thread.... but how do we (you) know that its Lerner saying NO to spending?

Lambert may not see the value in some of the 'Adam's' / 'Johnsons's' of this world? He may not want to spend (what could be a large transfer pot) on these players....

Its not normally been an issue of Lerner spending his money.... its been the manager not spending it wisely!

Granted, what ever the reason for lower than expected (hoped) spending is a risk.... but I find it funny that this risk is definitely Lerners doing..... might be.... might not?

This. This is my thinking also, I think the money is there, it's just Lambert's way of spending it. He's never had chance to blow meagbucks in the past, and he's been successful, so I imagine he see's no need to change until this approach is showing no signs of fruition.

2 days to prevent the 3rd season in a row where relegation will be a worry.

A whole season for you to be proved wrong.

You don't think we'll struggle if we only bring in Benteke and Stephens?

Have you watched us this season?

Its been 2 games FFS in which one the manager got the team selection wrong. We arent a top 6 side but we arent as bad as the last two games either, even without reinforcements.

We can keep saying its only 2 games but the exact same issues that saw us struggle last year are still big issues, and I don't think any manager could solve them without replacing some players with better quality.

In 2 games we have created 1 clear chance. That's terrible and unless we sign someone to change that I think it will continue to be an issue.

Against west ham, a poor team, they scored 1, had 2 cleared off the line and a good shout for a pen. Everton could have had 6 or 7 against us and again I don't think Joe Bennett solves all of those issues.

I keep telling myself it will work out in the end but I saw both games in league and we were dire so so bad, Adam for 4 mil is a must its in our budgegt and lets get him, if I was lamber Id ask vlaar and KEA who we should get in dutch league

You want Lambert to ask Vlaar & KEA who we should buy? WOW!

The craziest thing I have read on here for a while and there have been some ridiculous posts.

Not so Crazy as some of us old ones will remember. Bobby Robson when at Ipswich bought a dutchman Thjsen?? (Spelling all wrong) he went down a storm so he asked him are there are more like him back in the dutch league. He replied there is someone better - Arnold Muhran.

Players might be other way around and I cant spell their names but it does happen.

Against west ham, a poor team, they scored 1, had 2 cleared off the line and a good shout for a pen. Everton could have had 6 or 7 against us and again I don't think Joe Bennett solves all of those issues.

First day of the season away to a horrible West Ham side with a bunch of players who have hardly played together. At home to a buzzing Everton with the wrong team selection, its got nothing to do with just Joe Bennett solving it, its about getting team selection right to compete with Everton but that was never going to happen with some of the players picked and where they played.

And guess what theres a good chance we will get beat this weekend but that still wont mean we are going to get relegated but no doubt a load of people will shit their pants over it.

I think the chances of any manager refusing to spend money is extremely low.

And i think it's even less likely when that manager has joined a side that just survived and has performed terribly for its first two games.

Extremely low..... but not impossible?

We are also assuming that Lambert now want to spend 10+mil on an individual and offer them 60K+ a week.... as that fits the young and hungry profile he set out?

Adam for example - did not want to take a pay cut and wanted 2mil to leave Lpool (reported - may not be true).... sounds more young and greedy... not hungry!

- I would like Adam to sign for us btw -

You may well be right though, Lerner may be sat on a pot of gold that he does not want to share - spoilt rich kids....

:winkold:

2 days to prevent the 3rd season in a row where relegation will be a worry.

A whole season for you to be proved wrong.

You don't think we'll struggle if we only bring in Benteke and Stephens?

Have you watched us this season?

Its been 2 games FFS in which one the manager got the team selection wrong. We arent a top 6 side but we arent as bad as the last two games either, even without reinforcements.

We can keep saying its only 2 games .

No we can't.

We can only say that at the moment. After the weekend, it'll be 3 games. :mrgreen:

Villa were today prepared to pull the plug on a move for Genk striker Christian Benteke unless the Belgian club lower their price.

The claret and blues have submitted an improved offer of around £6m for the 21-year-old but it is claimed that Genk have nearly doubled the price for the Belgium international.

Villa chiefs have not given up hope of a deal being struck but they will not be held to ransom by Genk for a player who is seen as talented but relatively unproven.

Benteke is understood to be eager to force the move through and is unlikely to be involved in Genk’s Europa League clash with Lucerne tonight after he missed training.

Should the move collapse Lambert may turn his attentions to Lazio’s Argentine forward Mauro Zarate, who had a loan at Birmingham City in 2007-08, after speculation in Italy linked him with a move to Villa Park.

The claret and blues are also on the verge of signing Chesterfield target man Jordan Bowery for an initial £500,000 which would rise to £1m based on appearances.

Bowery, 21, has a modest strike rate of 10 goals in 83 league appearances for Chesterfield but has been the radar of several Premier League clubs since he broke into the Spireites first team at the age of 17.

Meanwhile, Villa wrapped up the signing of left-back Joe Bennett from Middlesbrough last night for a fee believed to be in the region of £2.5m.

The England Under-21 international has penned a four-year deal at Villa and admitted he is desperate to make his debut at Newcastle this weekend.

“I am really excited to have joined a massive club in Villa and I’m eager to fight for a starting place and get in the team,” Bennett said. “It’s up to the manager to pick the team, of course, but it would be great to go back to the north east this weekend and make my debut against Newcastle at St James’s Park. I am excited to get started.

“My priority will be to impress the manager and gain a place in the starting XI. It will be a special moment when I pull on the claret and blue shirt for the first time.

“I’m determined to earn the respect of my team-mates and the Villa supporters. I know it’s going to be really exciting here in the years ahead and I really want to play my part.”

FatherAbraham at the Express and Star

First day of the season away to a horrible West Ham side with a bunch of players who have hardly played together. At home to a buzzing Everton with the wrong team selection, its got nothing to do with just Joe Bennett solving it, its about getting team selection right to compete with Everton but that was never going to happen with some of the players picked and where they played.

And guess what theres a good chance we will get beat this weekend but that still wont mean we are going to get relegated but no doubt a load of people will shit their pants over it.

I didn't agree with the team selection but IMO I don't think it would have made much difference to the result.

Theres a good chance we'll be on 0 points after 4 games and I think people have every right to be worried for the 3rd year in a row.

We need quality to come straight into the side and be much better than what we have. I'm not seeing that happenning this window.

Like I said, 2 days to bring in that quality.

I think Genk will have to either negotiate to something realistic or just accept our offer, they're caught in way too much of a bind here.

I'd say we are in more of a bind then they are to be honest!

We've obviously got options lined up if this doesn't work out, it's a good fee for Benteke and he really wants to leave - if they don't accept then all they're left with is a really pissed off player.

Big John - why don't you seem to understand that this will take time? Totally different manager with a totally different football style, lots of new faces etc - it takes time to gel, to change and to forge a new team. It was always going to work like that, even if we lose 4 games, it's only 4 games - there are 34 more in the league to go after that.

Big John - why don't you seem to understand that this will take time? Totally different manager with a totally different football style, lots of new faces etc - it takes time to gel, to change and to forge a new team. It was always going to work like that, even if we lose 4 games, it's only 4 games - there are 34 more in the league to go after that.

Completely understand it will take time.

But when you have players that simply aren't good enough you can spend all the time you want and you'll only take it so far.