General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

SSN reporting that Genk have turned our bid for Benteke down, probably because we've tried to get him on the cheap.

Yeah, I think we should pay the asking price for every player. Just imagine how easy transfers would be then? Come on Faulkner you bafoon, start paying the asking price for these players, it's the way forward.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SSN reporting that Genk have turned our bid for Benteke down, probably because we've tried to get him on the cheap.

While you could be right, its more likely just the normal process its just Villa or Genk (more likely, if true) have announced it. You're going to be slightly pissed off if your first bid is accepted as you'll know you should have tried a lower bid.

Can't believe the amount of people placated by two signings, both with no Premier League experience playing at levels below where we are (well for this season anyway).

You can buy 900 strikers - if you've got nobody capable of creating a half decent chance for them it's pointless. Like Villa.

Can't believe the amount of people placated by two signings, both with no Premier League experience playing at levels below where we are (well for this season anyway).

You can buy 900 strikers - if you've got nobody capable of creating a half decent chance for them it's pointless. Like Villa.

WTF!, I have at times been critical of how we have been going about our business for the last 2 yrs but calling the club you say you support "pointless" is just being a **** drama queen and something I find offensive.

If Villa are so pointless to you why are you posting on a Villa forum?

Already stated earlier in the thread that Adam would be a good fit for us but I feel Lambert is signing the same level of player quality that he would have signed at Norwich. This has always been my big worry concerning Lambert.

The players we have bought so far could well be playing for a club like Norwich. But that shouldn't detract from their quality. All his signings have impressed so far in dire performances, even Lowton has shown glimpses. If you look at the players individually and their quality, the fact that they could also be in a Norwich shirt is insignificant. Vlaar is a current dutch international and looks to ba a solid CB. KEA oozes quality for me and Lowton is showing potential. The sad fact is although our history could attract players, our current standing as a team and where we are in our development is not too disimialr to Norwich.

There are much higher expectations at our club and at the moment we need better quality in than we're currently being linked with

We are working within a budget though. If US sources are right and Randy is waiting to invest in January or next summer then we aint gonna be alpping in high bids for Johnson and Fletcher etc. Again if you look at the individual merits of each player the quality is there and at a good price.

He is creating a blend of experience and youth as PL has already stated he sees hunger as just as important as experience.

KEA and Vlaar = experience

Lowton and Benteke = youth

People are crying out for Randy to open his chequebook now hes sold the Browns....

but maybe he trusts PL to get us in a safe position with a couple of more additions and then invest heavily next summer when we are more attractive and stable....

or if worst comes to the worst, if we are in danger in January then he can get his money out then....

remember Randy spent 18m -24m on Bent in January even when he knew our wage bill was out of control..

he isn't gonna see us at the bottom of the table if he can help it

but no need to go spunking money on players now IMO

All excellent points but the difficulty I have with them is that we already are relying on our youth to see us through and what we need more than anything at the moment is quality to hit the ground running in the Premiership. We have already lost our first two games against teams we would expect to take points off and the likelyhood is that we will lose our third game as well. Not an ideal situation to blood unproven players in the Premiership!

Secondly, it is very risky to play a wait and see policy until January. If we find ourselves in trouble when the window opens again and Lerner does make more investment available, how do you know the type of quality we would need to get out of trouble would come to a sinking ship? It is also notoriously difficult to get clubs to sell their better players in January and if they do we would be fleeced on the price. I'm not sure we could attract a Bent anymore as we don't have the likes of Young, Downing, or Petrov to attract that type of quality if we do find ourselves in trouble again.

If Lerner has the money available, then spend it now on the type of quality which will ensure that we won't find ourselves in trouble in the first place and then invest in the rough diamonds allowing them time to grow into a Premiership team without the pressure of relegation hanging over them.

WTF!, I have at times been critical of how we have been going about our business for the last 2 yrs but calling the club you say you support "pointless" is just being a **** drama queen and something I find offensive.

I wonder how many games he goes to. Honestly, 'fans' like that should simply f*** off and support City.

Vlaar & El Ahmadi, no PL experience, came from a weaker league, both Lambert signings, both our best players so far this season.

* WOOOOOOSH *

Have a look at the league table.

We are pointless.

Apology accepted.

I wonder how many games he goes to. Honestly, 'fans' like that should simply f*** off and support City.

* WOOOOOOSH *

Have a look at the league table.

We are pointless.

Apology accepted.

Interesting you should even be discussing the prospect of new signings pilchard, considering you spent pretty much all last week stating with so much certainty that we wouldn't be signing anyone.

Interesting you should even be discussing the prospect of new signings pilchard, considering you spent pretty much all last week stating with so much certainty that we wouldn't be signing anyone.

Certainly is. I think, following the humiliation on Saturday they will 'do something'. Certainly not the £20million expected by many on here a few weeks ago. But a couple of cheapos to 'plug the gap' so to speak but won't further the club.

If they did nothing, then they know the backlash will be McLeish v2 and they can't afford that both monetary and off the balance sheet.

It won't be anywhere near enough to stop us being involved in the relegation battle that they said they'd learnt from last year though.