General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has there been a solid link to Defoe or is this just the traditional VT summer name? I can only see him getting worse as a player.
No. Someone just mentioned him as a player we should maybe sign.

I'd be happy with any one of these,

Granit Xhaka, Ryad Boudebouz, Lewis Holtby, Carlos Casemiro, Andriy Yarmolenko, Mateo Musacchio, Xherdan Shaqiri, Iker Muniain, Cristian Eriksen, Andre Ayew, Andre Schurrle, Yann M'Vila,

Granit Xhaka, Ryad Boudebouz, Lewis Holtby, Carlos Casemiro, Andriy Yarmolenko, Mateo Musacchio, Xherdan Shaqiri, Iker Muniain, Cristian Eriksen, Andre Ayew, Andre Schurrle, Yann M'Vila,

So pretty much every wonderkid from Football Manager?

3.5 million seems a bit steep. Be aware that the source it has come from is the lancashire journo. He recently said ireland was leaving yet that looks far off the mark. Why would he know about ipswich or villa? Hes a bolton man

Football manager?

Hey, don't knock those recommendations. A fair collection of those players won my Schalke side the European Cup on Football Ma... oh, right...

Six million is a bit steep but considering he's signed up to 2015 and Ipswich probably want to keep him, it's hardly surprising. Perhaps we'll offer Hutton plus cash? Seems sensible to me if he's not in the manager's plans.

On the basis of the pre season games so far (caveat - not seen last night yet) in my opinion this is current state of play.

Current 1st 11

----------------Given------------------

Lowton ----Dunne----Clark----Lichaj

----------El Hamadi ---Bannan-------

-----Ireland----------------Holman---

---------Bent-----------Gabby--------

Positives --

I think this 4-2-2-2 formation is quite interesting, certainly helps us keep the ball well and will cause some teams problems because it is quite different to the way a lot of teams set up in Prem.

I also think Holman and Ireland have the work rate to make this work. Will also be interesting to see Gabby get a run at playing as a striker in a team which creates chances.

Main benefit is that we will look to boss games and create chances through sheer weight of possession. Interesting counter to the three in midfield because often in this formation we have 4 central midfielders! Remember Spain had 6 in European cup.

Will put a lot of emphasis on full back both defensively and offensively. Fingers crossed they are up to that.

Negatives --

My worry is us getting exposed down the flanks - a few times this has happened on US tour and I fear against the Nani's, Silva's, Bale's of this world we could get quite severely punished. That said I am sure Lambert is aware of this and we may well play differently against those teams.

Same goes for the deep 2 of KEA and Bannan - they certainly ping the ball around well but I worry about how they cope with the physicality of players like Yaya Toure and Tiote for example. Again I am sure Lambert has thought of that.

Back Up Players

Herd - Think Lambert will use him as back up in full back primarily and possibly other roles when a real battler is required. I expect him to be bit part this year. For me right choice but a shame for him after breaking through last year.

Collins - Fingers crossed he will be replaced - if not adequate and experienced cover. Looks more donkey like than ever when we play a passing game. Same can be said for Dunne - not a lot between them in my eyes.

Baker - Will get chances I think with injuries. I think he could be a really top player when he gets experience. He has great recovery pace which Clark lacks.

Warnock - as with Collins.

Delph - I think he has a shot at getting Bannan's role in team but looks like Baz has made the faster start in pre season and holds Lambert favour.

Gardner - As with Delph has a shot of making it this year. Both need to move the ball faster but thought he did well when started against Chicago - would love to see him make it purely because he will definitely get goals from midfield which is such a bonus to the rest of the side. My feeling is he wont start off in first 11 but will get his chance at some point in season.

Makoun - Will fit into Lamberts style - will come down to whether he settles this time and has hunger and desire to impress Lambert.

N'Zogbia - very inconsistent so far in pre season. Really needs to get fitter in my eyes. Think he'll be battling with Holman for that slot. I think this formation could suit him offensively but seems a little way off finding his top form right now.

Albrighton - Think he will be some way down pecking order this year and more of a bit part player.

Carruthers - I have a sneaky feeling there could be a really good player in there. Think he might get a chance if Ireland gets injured. Like the fact that he can go past people as well as battle and pick a pass.

Weimann - Will get his chance with injuries

Delfouneso - Think he will be out on loan. Don't see him as premier league standard. For what its worth I actually do think he has the talent so seems to lack confidence of self belief.

Strengthening squad --

Good thing is Lambert seems to have got us playing better football with not a lot spent. So if we can shift someone on hopefully any new signing will only enhance the side.

I actually think another striker is now a real priority. If Gabby and Bent get injured together (as has happened) we are a bit stuffed in my eyes. Think Delf will be sold or out on loan and someone new brought in.

Other than that a new CB and LB which everyone knows about and is in agreement on.

^ Good post.

I agree, however I'd much rather go with an extra man in midfield and play Bent on his own with Holman and Ireland behind him.

----------------------------Given----------------------------

Lowton------------Clark-----------Dunne--------Cresswell

--------------------------El-Hamadi-------------------------

---------------Delph--------------------Bannan-------------

----------Ireland------------------------------Holman------

-----------------------------Bent-----------------------------

Lichaj for Cresswell if he doesn't sign.

Extra man in midfield means a better chance for closing down players and more possession. Delph and KEA have a great motor and so will be excellent ball winning players. KEA as a deep lying playmaker, Delph as a box to box and Bannan in a support MC role. Ireland and Holman can attack either side of Bent and exploit holes in the defence.

Defence is untested and inexperienced, yes, but I'd rather give them a go from the start and get them to gel rather than using the dross that didn't perform last year. I'd even go as far as saying replace Dunne with a new signing.

Has to be 4-1-2-1-2

----------------------Guzan----------------------

----Lowton-----Dunne-----Clark-----Cresswell/Warnock

--------------------El Ahmadi---------------------

----Holman-------------------------N'Zogbia-----

---------------------Ireland------------------------

------------Bent-----------Agbonlahor------------

I think everyone will get behind the ball when we havnt got it and try to get it back as quick as poss. We then have width once we have it back and Ireland can play in a creative role. deffo need two strikers on the pitch!