Karim El Ahmadi

Feyenoord

Petrov is / was a very good player.

KEA is a very poor player.

You need to cast your mind back, Petrov was disliked by large numbers of fans in his first couple of seasons for us. I recall him being called 'crab like', too slow, always passes backwards or sideways and why does he not score all the goals he did for Celtic?

Many fans rated both NRC and Sidwell as better. He grew into his role and IMO at least latterly he was our most influential midfielder, sadly missed today.

The trouble on this forum is that there are far too many posters like you who have written a player off on the flimsiest of evidence. If you follow your conclusion on KEA we would have got shot of Petrov at the end of his first season.

I honestly don't know whether KEA will be any good for us, the trouble we have is we have very few options unlike the MON era.

Actually Petrovs debut at west ham was one of the classiest midfield performances I've ever seen from a villa player. So we knew what he had in his locker.

I've seen absolutely nothing off KEA to suggest he's anywhere near PL level.

You need to cast your mind back, Petrov was disliked by large numbers of fans in his first couple of seasons for us. I recall him being called 'crab like', too slow, always passes backwards or sideways and why does he not score all the goals he did for Celtic?

Many fans rated both NRC and Sidwell as better. He grew into his role and IMO at least latterly he was our most influential midfielder, sadly missed today.

The trouble on this forum is that there are far too many posters like you who have written a player off on the flimsiest of evidence. If you follow your conclusion on KEA we would have got shot of Petrov at the end of his first season.

I honestly don't know whether KEA will be any good for us, the trouble we have is we have very few options unlike the MON era.

Many have the same acid tongued 'not good for enough for Villa' approach to most of our players and not just in recent times.

It is too early to judge KEA - he has had three or four games where he has been awful, but no-one around him as looked any better. Most of the time he has looked tidy without getting stuck in, or gets stuck in but is untidy and a liability - somewhere between the two might actually work!

Edited by VillanousOne

Actually Petrovs debut at west ham was one of the classiest midfield performances I've ever seen from a villa player. So we knew what he had in his locker.

Absolutely. I remember watching that game and just thinking 'wow'. He was unbelievable that day. I don't recall him ever featuring in such an advanced role for us again, though.

Define ball retention

Ball:

noun

1. A solid or hollow sphere or ovoid, esp. one that is kicked, thrown, or hit in a game.

2. A formal social gathering for dancing.

Retention:

noun:

1. The continued possession, use, or control of something.

2. The fact of keeping something in one's memory

Edited by Ghost

Ball:

noun

1. A solid or hollow sphere or ovoid, esp. one that is kicked, thrown, or hit in a game.

2. A formal social gathering for dancing.

Retention:

noun:

1. The continued possession, use, or control of something.

2. The fact of keeping something in one's memory

so KEA's main talent is remembering dancing on social occasions.

• Like 1

It's pretty desperate if we have to play KEA against Newcastle. He won't have been long back from South Africa, surely, so there would be a question about his sharpness/match readiness? And even his advocates seem to agree he hasn't performed well for Villa so far, so it's not as if he's going to come back in and transform the midfield.

Didn't stop Villa fans turning on him pretty quickly though, and in some cases quite viciously.  By your logic, if a player has one excellent game, it shows that he's a good player and that throughout a very unconvincing period following this he should still be thought of as a good player.  This applies to Petrov, but would also apply to many other much less talented players, too.  However, because in the handful of games that El Ahmadi has pulled on a Villa shirt, he hasn't put in a fantastic performance, we can judge him already and tell that he's crap, even though many of his criticisms are almost echoes of what was said about Stan a few years ago.  Right.

You miss the point. Every time KEA has played (and let's face it it's more than a handful now) he has looked **** atrocious.

And I don't get this crap being directed at Petrov just to try and make an invalid point.

You miss the point. Every time KEA has played (and let's face it it's more than a handful now) he has looked **** atrocious.

And I don't get this crap being directed at Petrov just to try and make an invalid point.

He's only looked crap when he's had to play alongside Bannan (Bannan hides from the ball/loses possession) 

KEA's got tekkers, i would start him over Bannan anyday. 

to be fair, for me it was the other way round, i was never a fan of stan at first but then he started proving his worth

with kea, he looked good at first, eager, now hes gone off the boil, and although he may of played well in holland, england is a step above, i hope he makes it, i really do, like most players, even delph and bannan, after all they are contracted to this club, but sometimes you have to be more realistic and see that they wont

Petrov had a great debut but was pretty shocking after that for a number of years. To say "we knew he had something in his locker" is just bollocks. Considering you're one of Irelands biggest haters on this forum, we know he has something "in his locker" from Man City days but you're hell bent on him not playing. Far far far too early to judge KEA. Some players need time to adapt to the pace of the league. 

Edited by PieFacE

That's a load of rubbish - he was looking very good in his first handful of games, lovely goal against Everton - then it looked like the pace of the Prem caught up with him and he started giving away silly fouls.

He loves to get stuck in and can actually pass a ball.

I'm looking forward to him coming back into the fold, I'm not expecting him to drag us up the table but he is a better option than what we have.

Edited by villan_007

Â