FAO Limpid and the moderators.

shambles

As an alternative point of view I used to be regular, perhaps even a mainstay, of the Birmingham Mail forum. I gave up on it about three years ago and my sole reason was poor moderation. Stupid threads, abuse, SHA fans posting on it and visa versa, every thread got ruined by WUMs, etc. We were crying out for moderation and asked the so called moderators for better controls. Nothing happened, the posters started ebbing away and the Mail eventually closed all its forums although I was long gone by then.

Over here its more tightly controlled but personally I think that's better. My only gripe is its a larger forum so you get to 'know' posters less well.

I'm joining you and logging out for the foreseeable, lest I become one of the bickerers (which I probably am)

Boys and girls, I am sorry that OGS didn't come, it would have been a nice swan song.

Richard, if a I knew you and I saw you out, I'd buy you a pint.

Thanks to those who sent me nice PMs

And thanks to the mods, even you Trent!

Ta ta

It's a real shame to see thetrees go. Loved the insider knowledge on Randy's whereabouts.

Keep spotting m8

This place is like the local pub used to be. Same old hard bastards at the bar who will knock you out if you play up, little cliques in the same seats up to no good on the side, the odd scrap, same clearings in the woods being clearings in the woods, regulars clear off for a bit then return, we lose some loved regulars as they slip of this mortal coil, sometimes you make an arse of yourself, all the nice birds are spoken for. But the beer is good.

Sorry to see the aforementioned posters pull down the shutters but when the new manager is appointed i would hope the pull of VT will be too much to avoid?

To the mods, i just wish to thank you for the opportunity to post my opinion as it is a very well run site and that includes you Trent :winkold:

I don't have a massive problem tbh, OGS ruled himself out therefore the thread was locked. It's a hard task, he'll I've contributed to making it a tough job on a few occasions but ultimately feel this is one of the best run sites around.

Still not sure why the Lambert thread was locked and of course the closing of the lovely ladies thread was a dark dark day for us all.

you posted that from an Iphone didnt you

This place is like the local pub used to be. Same old hard bastards at the bar who will knock you out if you play up, little cliques in the same seats up to no good on the side, the odd scrap, same clearings in the woods being clearings in the woods, regulars clear off for a bit then return, we lose some loved regulars as they slip of this mortal coil, sometimes you make an arse of yourself, all the nice birds are spoken for. But the beer is good.
And I'm this bloke:

rowley_birkin2.jpg

There was a call for the end of the super threads in off topic in the past year that I can get on board with.

I realise they're not mod controlled, but they do stifle the possibility of new interesting threads and often stuff that might actually warrant an off topic thread gets lost in the mire of things that piss you off or general chat.

I would probably advocate the closure of those threads. Maybe try it for a week and see if any really interesting threads start popping up.

i agree with this. i hate the general chat thread with a passion, it kills what could be many great threads/debates before they have a chance to get going.

FWIW: I see the advantages and the reason behind the "super-threads", but personally I would prefer a slightly less amount of "lumping together" of related issues and a more organic growth of threads.

I think the balance is probably about right.

If you want to see overzealous modding have a look around redandwhitekop.co.uk/forum. That place is like some sort of Orwellian groupthink experiment.

The other extreme is Man City's Blue Moon forum with half a page of threads on the same topic, full of people calling each other Man U fans.

There was a call for the end of the super threads in off topic in the past year that I can get on board with.

I realise they're not mod controlled, but they do stifle the possibility of new interesting threads and often stuff that might actually warrant an off topic thread gets lost in the mire of things that piss you off or general chat.

I would probably advocate the closure of those threads. Maybe try it for a week and see if any really interesting threads start popping up.

i agree with this. i hate the general chat thread with a passion, it kills what could be many great threads/debates before they have a chance to get going.

See I love general chat, what's good about it is that it polices itself, if something's too big for it then someone will suggest opening up a new thread.

This board is fine as it is, like everything else it goes through good periods and boring periods.

is the villa section actually that bad? I very rarely venture into it, I just dwell in off topic majority of the time and there aint no problems with the mods here

aside from the fact they are all ghey cuz they locked the lovely ladies thread purely for a few nips

I too shall be leaving VillaTalk, the homophobic vitriol from some users has gone beyond a joke and I'm tired of every thread being derailed by predictable childishness.

LOL

Personally I do not have a problem with the mods and feel that generally they do a great job - which at the end of the day is voluntary.

However i do feel that the decision to force posts on the VillaTalk forum into a narrow range of threads has been to the detriment of the site and debate.

I know the argument is that relevant posts should be grouped together but a consequence is that the forum lacks variety and some threads become massive.

I do not know the answer but would personally prefer to see more threads than less with a little less rigid approach.

FWIW I still very much appreciate the site and think it fulfils a important service to Villa fans.

What this gent said.

Also:

warrior-forum-moderator1.jpeg

It's only my opinion, but I think the moderators need to back off and stop stifling debate, wit, humour and creativity and seemingly getting some sort of kick out of locking threads for very little reason. I'm aware that you want to keep the forum tidy, but I feel it's over the top and all the fun has gone out of the place as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame. This used to be such a lively forum with so many characters, but all we've got now is the same band of faceless dreary regulars bickering about the same bollocks with a moderator and his cursor hovering over the lock button just waiting and hoping to exert some cyber authority.

Limpid, I expect you to side with your moderators because you have to to maintain credibility and a sense of order, but deep down, we both know I'm right.

To the rest of the forum: It's been a pleasure. Take care of yourselves, and each other.

Word to your mother, and up the Villa.

Peace out. 8)

:flag:

PS- Gabby15 says hi, and wishes himself to be remembered to Rob.

I'm a moderator, but speaking personally (i.e. not for the moderating "team") I look at it like this: -

We prefer and indeed ask that if people have any issues with moderation, they contact us PRIVATELY.

getting some sort of kick out of locking threads for very little reason....with a moderator and his cursor hovering over the lock button just waiting and hoping to exert some cyber authority. doesn't look like you've really thought about things from the perspective of the moderators, and doesn't look particularly constructive, in terms of criticism.

This site is

a) free to use, or not use, as people see fit.

B) run by a team of volunteers who genuinely try to keep things civil, entertaining, informative, amusing, legal, and as good as it can be. Ultimately all of those things depend not on the moderators, but the posters - you happy lot.

c) If people don't like aspects of the site, they're welcome to either propose improvements, or leave, or stop posting, or anything else within the guidelines.

d) if people do like it, then they can contribute more, or just the same, or donate towards the running costs, click on the ads, or anything else within the guidelines. Any/All of these things are welcomed.

Without any specific examples of what we're doing wrong (other than being apparently jumped up power freaks, itching to lock threads) it's hard to know what to do differently. Of course we will from time to time make mistakes, or get the balance wrong in the opinion of some, or many. That's because we're humans with other things to do as well as spend 24 hrs a day running this site.

We can't please all the people all the time. All criticism and comments are welcome, especially constructive suggestions or proposals, but we'd much prefer it if this was done via pms.

Now, eff off before I lock it. :twisted: